Coronavirus - A pale horse,4 men and ....beer

A place to discuss anything.
jimibt

superfrank wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:18 am
from the Telegraph:
...dozens of flights from locked-down areas arrived on British soil on Sunday with seventeen leaving from Milan Malpensa airport alone. On arrival the passengers were not put into quarantine or tested for the virus, leading to fears they could now be spreading the disease on British soil.
The government skipped the containment phase entirely because of economic concerns. This could prove to be a massive mistake as the electorate won't forgive such irresponsibility and it won't help markets anyway.
Those claiming that this is just a flu that will blow over need to wake up.
+1
jamesg46

Euler wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:15 am
spreadbetting wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:08 am
I guess we all have different ideas of what's fun.
I've just learnt when people hit the panic button that's where the best opportunities are created.
I have all my fingers crossed that house prices take a huge hit... I've been waiting for what seems forever. The market has been gready & I want fearful.
superfrank

jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:33 am
I have all my fingers crossed that house prices take a huge hit... I've been waiting for what seems forever. The market has been gready & I want fearful.
I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. The govt will have another Help To Bubble scheme launched in double quick time.

US index futures all limit down (-5%).
jamesg46

superfrank wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:39 am
jamesg46 wrote:
I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. The govt will have another Help To Bubble scheme launched in double quick time.

US index futures all limit down (-5%).
I literally can't hold my breath any longer, I need to exhale, the same as the market does. I can't bring myself to buy at the top but the top keeps getting higher.
Euler

The best time to buy is when everybody is hitting the panic button and things don't look like they could get any worse and they do.

But a lot does depend on why you are buying. Anybody holding debt is going to be in trouble as are weak business that can't take a shock.

The decline in the FTSE is led by Shell and BP.
superfrank

Euler wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:48 am
The best time to buy is when everybody is hitting the panic button and things don't look like they could get any worse and they do.
But catching falling knives is a risky business. Buying the Friday dip last week wasn't such a good trade as the week before. Retail investors looking to buy and hold are usually fully invested in the market before the crash.
wearthefoxhat

jamesg46 wrote:
Euler wrote:
spreadbetting wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:08 am
I guess we all have different ideas of what's fun.
I've just learnt when people hit the panic button that's where the best opportunities are created.
If you're buying to live in it for 20 years+, then get a fair deposit together and buy in a location that is well sought after and not near a flood plain. If you're a fixer upper type person, buy from an auction. You'd be surprised at the value there is doing it that way.
jamesg46

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:36 am
jamesg46 wrote:
Euler wrote:

If you're buying to live in it for 20 years+, then get a fair deposit together and buy in a location that is well sought after and not near a flood plain. If you're a fixer upper type person, buy from an auction. You'd be surprised at the value there is doing it that way.
I agree although the fixer upper is a pain in the arse, I've not long sold one.. & for my own personal home I dont want the hassle of it all again, I had too many issues with tradesmen, I had a bathroom fitter that went rogue & ended up costing me double, a window company that was from hell. I ended up making 8k for a whole world of stress. My aim is to buy one, move in & sit down.
jamesg46

https://youtu.be/q45o-4OOtsc

This is worth a post in the current times we are in.
Euler

US trading halt kicks in on a 7% slide at the open.
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:39 pm
...and the circuit breaker kicked in, so they had to suspend the market... :shock:
Euler

319 cases as at this morning. That's much lower than I suspected at 360.
jimibt

Euler wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:17 pm
319 cases as at this morning. That's much lower than I suspected at 360.
altho' i'm certain that the numbers aren't being muted, there may be issues surrounding how and when new cases are added to the register (i.e. 100% certain). my fear is that the numbers are being reported slightly lower than expected and we are going to get hit with a *panic* when the eventual daily number literally doubles and goes into the low 1000's....

feels to mre that the UK approach of containment is for economic and political ends, not for healthcare !!
Last edited by jimibt on Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archery1969

This person doesnt sound very optimistic......

A European Union expert said the UK had only a "few days" to implement measures to prevent an outbreak like Italy's, which is the worst outside China with 7,375 confirmed cases and 366 deaths. Sergio Brusin from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme: "The UK is in the same situation Italy was two weeks ago."
PDC

Euler wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:39 pm
For some perspective we are now at levels not seen in the S&P 500 since...... that rout we were all (not) posting about 10 months ago in May 2019 and that is ignoring dividends.

Return to “General discussion”