Coronavirus - A pale horse,4 men and ....beer

A place to discuss anything.
Dallas

Jukebox wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:39 pm
It must be welcome news to the airline industry that their Boeing 737 Max aircraft will shortly no longer grounded for safety issues and will be able join the rest of their fleet grounded for lack of passengers.
:lol:
superfrank

https://twitter.com/simondolan/status/1 ... 1265850370

"Funding for test and trace will increase to £22bn a year"

That's about 1/6th of the entire NHS budget.

44 times the amount spent on cancer research

£733 for every adult in the UK

£7bn MORE than the entire Police budget

Johnson said "Its good value for money"
Naffman

superfrank wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:08 am

Incredible.

And it's almost predictable now that we 'cannot be trusted' so off we go into another lockdown after Christmas :roll:
Kafkaesque

superfrank wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:08 am

Insane numbers indeed, although....

The million pound question, or rather 22bn pound question, is whether this means that they're actually developing something which functions - to the point of being future proof.

If, and that's a big if, it means putting all the pieces together including what went wrong this time around, and having a test and trace system in place, if and more likely when the next virus pops up, then it's not just good value but brilliant value for money. Being able to nip out the spread much earlier, or at least contain it way better, next time around will save a ton of money in less/no lockdowns and be of big value to quality of life for the population.
jimibt

dad-pun.PNG
yup -i'll get me coat!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kafkaesque

jimibt wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:57 pm
dad-pun.PNG

yup -i'll get me coat!!
Closed pubs being the first and foremost consequence.

This has to go down as the most British of jokes ever :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dallas

Anyone who wants to track daily cases in their local area (see if you'll end up in the dreaded Tier3) the following is very handy, usually gets updated with previous days figures around 3pm-4pm
https://coronalevel.com/United_Kingdom/England/

If London avoids Tier3 and many areas of the North get put in it even though most have falling new cases I imagine Boris will find himself in a sticky situation

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lutruwita

Genuine question:

Both Ireland and Great Britain are islands which means they have a maritime border, unlike much of the world. Other OECD island nations - Australia, New Zealand & to a lesser extent Japan - have found a way to prevent mass spread of the virus. The result has been significantly lower case numbers and also less economic harm than in Ireland and Great Britain. Even South Korea, with a not so porous land border to the north, has in effect been like an island and has done well.

Ireland and Great Britain have the same isolation benefits as the aforementioned countries, so why have they failed so badly to contain the virus, despite attempts at lockdowns?

As it stands, Asia-Pacific, contrasted with Europe and the Americas, has done a much better job dealing with Covid-19. I wouldn't have predicted that.
sionascaig

At the start of the pandemic it was claimed that closing the borders would have no significant effect on the spread of the virus and co-incidentally was at the same time as the UK "seemed" to be considering a herd immunity approach..

Cleary in hindsight it was a bad decision and the cost is pretty well documented..

Current decision makers are not fit for purpose(and don't get me started on approach to track & trace). Focus now seems to be on mass testing with a test that doesn't tell if you: 1. have the virus & 2. are infectious. Its beyond a joke.
Derek27

Most people know by now that I've got a soft spot for blonds or anything that's pleasing to the eye. So when Rita Ora gave that heart-felt apology I took it in good faith and forgave her.

But now I hear that that small gathering was 30 people!!

I'm beginning to wonder if that £1000 deterrent is really just a fee you can pay to party if you can afford it!
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:15 am
Most people know by now that I've got a soft spot for blonds or anything that's pleasing to the eye. So when Rita Ora gave that heart-felt apology I took it in good faith and forgave her.

But now I hear that that small gathering was 30 people!!

I'm beginning to wonder if that £1000 deterrent is really just a fee you can pay to party if you can afford it!
Is there a ban on gatherings again? Can't say I've noticed. I stopped listening when those that give the orders stopped listening, not that I gather anyway...

Rules for thee but not for me, unless there is a camera.

I find the whole thing highly bizarre, we are supposed to believe that we can avoid catching something that is more infectious than the common cold or flu that nobody on planet earth has avoided, simply by not gathering, unless you're at work or a supermarket or local shop, pub, restaurant or school.

My kids alone could give it to me, surely germs transfer from one family to another through the schools. Give me my life back (I never had one) I'm bored of this half in half out shit.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:54 am
I stopped listening when those that give the orders stopped listening, not that I gather anyway...
I've decided not to travel to stay with family this Christmas, but it's my decision, not BJ's. I no longer GAF about the rules. The bigger the fine that Rita has to pay the louder Cummings will be laughing!
weemac

The implementation and policing of rules has overtaken the focus on the spread of a virus.
Derek27

weemac wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:18 pm
The implementation and policing of rules has overtaken the focus on the spread of a virus.
Trying to make sense of the rules (which most people will ignore anyway) has overtaken the virus.
Emmson

Aarondewit wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:37 am

As it stands, Asia-Pacific, contrasted with Europe and the Americas, has done a much better job dealing with Covid-19. I wouldn't have predicted that.
I would have! in fact I think I did

I drew some heat on here for suggesting wearing of face masks was a good thing months ago. Totally incompetent government led by a complete charlatan allied with an ill-disciplined population.

Return to “General discussion”