Coronavirus - A pale horse,4 men and ....beer

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:52 pm
Thanks to the next president market I treated myself to an iphone 12.
Don't be fooled by the adverts. You won't have birds flocking around you every time you get it out in public. :lol:
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:05 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:52 pm
Thanks to the next president market I treated myself to an iphone 12.
Don't be fooled by the adverts. You won't have birds flocking around you every time you get it out in public. :lol:
Thanks for killing my dreams :D
firlandsfarm

greenmark wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:11 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:00 pm
greenmark wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:06 pm

Are you Apple or Android? Android 6.0 has been around for a lot longer than 2 years.
Apple iPhone 6 ... works fine (other than TT&T). Shop told me the TT&T app expects minimum of 64GB phone!!
OK. Perhaps I'm confused. (Wouldn't be the 1st time). I was referrig to the nhs covid tracking app, which notifies you if you've been in proximity with an infected person. TT&T may have different requirements. In fact, I don't even know what TT&T is (apart from the basic concept). I mean what does TT&T mean to me, in terms of what I'm supposed to do, download, or whatever.
Actually, don't answer that. I'll Google it :-).
Sorry greenmark, I used TT&T as an abbreviation for "Test Track & Trace" and by that was referring to the government app that records if you were close to someone who later tests positive for Covid and can let you know. My iPhone6 can't install the app even though it tells me it has the latest OS. I mentioned it when in a phone shop recently and was advised that for some (crazy, their word, not mine) reason it requires a phone with at least 64GB of storage! They said they had no idea why, that's an awful lot of people to walk near!
firlandsfarm

superfrank wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:54 pm
Restaurants and gyms acted as "superspreading" sites for COVID-19 transmission last spring, accounting for the majority of new infections in large U.S. cities, according to a new study.
https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-su ... rants.html

Expect the government to launch a Workout to Help Out scheme next month.
No need for a study just a little commonsense but I guess it kept the authors in pay at someone's expense ... have they stopped teaching kids that "coughs and sneezes spread diseases"?!
greenmark

firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:38 am
greenmark wrote:
firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:00 pm

Apple iPhone 6 ... works fine (other than TT&T). Shop told me the TT&T app expects minimum of 64GB phone!!
OK. Perhaps I'm confused. (Wouldn't be the 1st time). I was referrig to the nhs covid tracking app, which notifies you if you've been in proximity with an infected person. TT&T may have different requirements. In fact, I don't even know what TT&T is (apart from the basic concept). I mean what does TT&T mean to me, in terms of what I'm supposed to do, download, or whatever.
Sorry greenmark, I used TT&T as an abbreviation for "Test Track & Trace" and by that was referring to the government app that records if you were close to someone who later tests positive for Covid and can let you know. My iPhone6 can't install the app even though it tells me it has the latest OS. I mentioned it when in a phone shop recently and was advised that for some (crazy, their word, not mine) reason it requires a phone with at least 64GB of storage! They said they had no idea why, that's an awful lot of people to walk near!
Interesting. My Android phone V6.0 has 8gb, 3 of which occupied by the OS. I regularly can't install apps due to lack of space. But I have been able to install the NHS Covid app. 64GB is just ludicrous.
Derek27

Good riddance Cummings and best of luck to the UK's new leader, Carrie Symonds. :)
Dallas

greenmark wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:31 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:38 am
greenmark wrote:

Interesting. My Android phone V6.0 has 8gb, 3 of which occupied by the OS. I regularly can't install apps due to lack of space. But I have been able to install the NHS Covid app. 64GB is just ludicrous.
The NHS app requires iOS13.5 or above, it actually because of Apple and Android tech the app needs it can only be run on the newer OS (so not the governments fault this time)

The iPhone 6s and 6s plus can use iOS13
The iPhone 6 and 6 plus can only use iOS12
firlandsfarm

greenmark wrote:
Dallas wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:04 pm
The NHS app requires iOS13.5 or above, it actually because of Apple and Android tech the app needs it can only be run on the newer OS (so not the governments fault this time)

Thanks Dallas and greenmark ... I was aware of the need for iOS13 and that my phone claimed it was 'up-to-date' with iOS12 but the shop said about 64GB and I just assumed someone in the trade would know more about it than me! :( Anyway I'm happy with my phone and it may explain why there are many people not using the app ... they can't! But unless every Tracking app in the world is in the same situation it's still the Government's fault for choosing tech that requires higher tech phones. Close range photo exchange apps have been around for years why couldn't they be adapted? Boris wanted a ground breaking app and got one without considering how many of the population could use it.
Dallas

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:01 am
greenmark wrote:
Dallas wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:04 pm

Thanks Dallas and greenmark ... I was aware of the need for iOS13 and that my phone claimed it was 'up-to-date' with iOS12 but the shop said about 64GB and I just assumed someone in the trade would know more about it than me! :( Anyway I'm happy with my phone and it may explain why there are many people not using the app ... they can't! But unless every Tracking app in the world is in the same situation it's still the Government's fault for choosing tech that requires higher tech phones. Close range photo exchange apps have been around for years why couldn't they be adapted? Boris wanted a ground breaking app and got one without considering how many of the population could use it.
All the main track and trace apps developed and used by governments around the world use the joint API and Bluetooth tech developed by Android and Googles so are all in the same boat with regards to the OS requirements imposed by Apple and Android,
There will be some countries who's citizens generally have upgrade and have newer handsets so will they have a higher compatibility percentage.

But the alternative was the governments original approach of trying to go it alone as they did back in spring and create there own centralized app from scratch which as we all know turned out a waste of time and money.
Partly because it was incompatible with a large number of iPhones due to Apples OS
Derek27

Under a Labour government, Corbyn would have given us free phone upgrades. :)
burntheory

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:27 pm
Under a Labour government, Corbyn would have given us free phone upgrades. :)
Under a Labour government, Corbyn would have spent the last ten months holding talks with Covid-19 to get a better understanding of its grievances against the human race and trying to find ways we could accomodate its 'legitimate' demands.
superfrank

Corbyn has tweeted that, "A vaccine should not become a privatised commodity used for corporate profiteering."
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status ... 7045716993

One day someone should explain private enterprise to him. Derek can sit in.
Derek27

superfrank wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:37 pm
Corbyn has tweeted that, "A vaccine should not become a privatised commodity used for corporate profiteering."
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status ... 7045716993

One day someone should explain private enterprise to him. Derek can sit in.
I supported him while he was Labour's only hope, but now I'd rather the headcase is never seen or heard of again. Starmer's probably made the right decision to suspend him from the party. Besides, how could I argue with Rachel. :)
0_Rachel-Riley-defends-photoshopped-Jeremy-Corbyn-t-shirt-after-Twitter-calls-for-Countdown-host-to-be.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
firlandsfarm

Dallas wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:15 pm
All the main track and trace apps developed and used by governments around the world use the joint API and Bluetooth tech developed by Android and Googles so are all in the same boat with regards to the OS requirements imposed by Apple and Android,
There will be some countries who's citizens generally have upgrade and have newer handsets so will they have a higher compatibility percentage.

But the alternative was the governments original approach of trying to go it alone as they did back in spring and create there own centralized app from scratch which as we all know turned out a waste of time and money.
Partly because it was incompatible with a large number of iPhones due to Apples OS
I stand corrected, thanks Dallas. It seems I have become a victim of the media mantra "always blame the government"! I probably believed them with their government bashing because I could see my phone was up to date but could not use the app. I've not heard anyone in the media say it's an unavoidable technical problem ... well that's not so newsworthy as "Boris got it wrong again"!

Following your comment I researched it and found an article from The Express claiming "Unfortunately, the feature {privacy concerns] prevented the NHS app from finding 25 per cent of Android phones and 96 percent of iPhone owners". I find the iPhone figure not believable (they don't give a source) but maybe we don't have as many iPhone snobs as the media like to promote when a new version is launched. :) But the Android number if believable because Android has more recently become popular.

It does raise two issues ... implied fake news, when only half the news is reported, the half you agree with giving a one sided slant to a story. It's harder to spot because it's difficult to spot the lie and disagree with something not said. And Apple and Google have another way to control the future by setting their own paths for development with 'us' having to work within that. Maybe they could have produced an upgrade to old OS's but that wouldn't sell replacement phones so they just put it in the latest phones and waited for people to upgrade though fear. I find it difficult to believe that Bluetooth in old phones could not be upgraded to the version of Bluetooth in newer phones. As I said, kids have been using photo-exchange apps for years (I don't know how many years but it was at a time when the iPhone5 was the phone to have and Android was an uncoordinated disaster).
wearthefoxhat

Ok...

So Bojo has to now self isolate because he met with another MP who tested positive for CV19.

Aside from the photos showing neither were not wearing a mask or 2 ft apart, or the TT&T seemed to work, the question is why wasn't the other MP tested BEFORE he met with Bojo (not afterwards) :roll:

Return to “General discussion”