Coronavirus - A pale horse,4 men and ....beer

A place to discuss anything.
SweetLyrics

'The most restrictive non‐pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) for controlling the spread of COVID‐19 are mandatory stay‐at‐home and business closures. Given the consequences of these policies, it is important to assess their effects. We evaluate the effects on epidemic case growth of more restrictive NPIs (mrNPIs), above and beyond those of less restrictive NPIs (lrNPIs).

We find no clear, significant beneficial effect of mrNPIs on case growth in any country.

While small benefits cannot be excluded, we do not find significant benefits on case growth of more restrictive NPIs. Similar reductions in case growth may be achievable with less restrictive interventions.'

Stamford University research paper - https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eci.13484

But you carry on making sarcastic, pointless remarks about David Icke, Fred. You really enhance the forum with your wit, charm and erudition.

Jeff
SweetLyrics

Speaking with a handful of people who happen to believe the same things you believe don't make you well informed, with greatest respect.
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:38 am
I've spoken to carers at my mother's care home about the crisis and how they're struggling in their other care homes so I know what's going on, and I've heard from a nurse about the situation at my local hospital. You seem to think that our only interaction with society is though mainstream and social media - we all have friends who are real people! :roll:
TraderFred

I would argue with you Jeff, though I fear that I will be on the receiving end of yet another expletive-laden angry private message. I am only just getting over yesterday’s.

I will instead concede defeat. You have read a paper, so you must be right. Lockdown should clearly be ended and crowds and normality resumed. I’m sure the hospitals will cope just fine. They’re only pretending to be busy anyway.
SweetLyrics

Top tip: If you call someone a 'serial loser' (whether in real life or online), it's likely to provoke a reaction.

If you don't like the reaction, don't be a d***. Simples! :D
TraderFred wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:25 am
I would argue with you Jeff, though I fear that I will be on the receiving end of yet another expletive-laden angry private message. I am only just getting over yesterday’s.
Derek27

SweetLyrics wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:43 am
'The most restrictive non‐pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) for controlling the spread of COVID‐19 are mandatory stay‐at‐home and business closures. Given the consequences of these policies, it is important to assess their effects. We evaluate the effects on epidemic case growth of more restrictive NPIs (mrNPIs), above and beyond those of less restrictive NPIs (lrNPIs).

We find no clear, significant beneficial effect of mrNPIs on case growth in any country.

While small benefits cannot be excluded, we do not find significant benefits on case growth of more restrictive NPIs. Similar reductions in case growth may be achievable with less restrictive interventions.'

Stamford University research paper - https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eci.13484

But you carry on making sarcastic, pointless remarks about David Icke, Fred. You really enhance the forum with your wit, charm and erudition.

Jeff
Quite a meaningless statement unless they define what more restrictive means!
SweetLyrics

So you've read the paper, and they don't define their terms anywhere?

Wow! That's not what I would have expected from one of the world's top universities.
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:15 am
Derek27

SweetLyrics wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:55 am
Speaking with a handful of people who happen to believe the same things you believe don't make you well informed, with greatest respect.
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:38 am
I've spoken to carers at my mother's care home about the crisis and how they're struggling in their other care homes so I know what's going on, and I've heard from a nurse about the situation at my local hospital. You seem to think that our only interaction with society is though mainstream and social media - we all have friends who are real people! :roll:
I'm not talking about people who believe what I believe but people who actually work in care and NHS and see first hand what's going on, as opposed to living in fantasy land and guessing that everything's a conspiracy!

You have the same attitude as Alex in that it's all about what you believe rather than what you see or have evidence/reason to believe.
SweetLyrics

Straw man argument.

I have been very clear that I believe that Covid is real.

But if painting people who disagree with you as being crazy conspiracy theorists who believe in the lizard people and who think that we are living in the Matrix, hey, whatever makes you feel good. :)
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:19 am
I'm not talking about people who believe what I believe but people who actually work in care and NHS and see first hand what's going on, as opposed to living in fantasy land and guessing that everything's a conspiracy!

You have the same attitude as Alex in that it's all about what you believe rather than what you see or have evidence/reason to believe.
Derek27

SweetLyrics wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:17 am
So you've read the paper, and they don't define their terms anywhere?

Wow! That's not what I would have expected from one of the world's top universities.
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:15 am
I was referring to your post, not the paper. Do you seriously expect me to read every scientific report posted to this forum? I shouldn't even be on this forum, I should be trading. But if that's a summary of the report it's quite a poor one.
SweetLyrics

I will defer to your superior academic expertise on the quality of the abstract (although when I did my MSc, I'm pretty sure that I was told that I didn't need to get bogged down in definitions in my abstract).

It's a shame the professors didn't consult you before publishing their paper. :)
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:23 am
I was referring to your post, not the paper. Do you seriously expect me to read every scientific report posted to this forum? I shouldn't even be on this forum, I should be trading. But if that's a summary of the report it's quite a poor one.
Derek27

SweetLyrics wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:21 am
Straw man argument.

I have been very clear that I believe that Covid is real.

But if painting people who disagree with you as being crazy conspiracy theorists who believe in the lizard people and who think that we are living in the Matrix, hey, whatever makes you feel good. :)
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:19 am

I didn't say you didn't - I said you think "it's all about what you believe rather than what you see or have evidence/reason to believe", which is why you misunderstood my post.

People who believe the vaccine contains a mind-controlling microchip designed by Bill Gates are crazy, end off!
SweetLyrics

Yes, but that's hardly relevant to this discussion, as no-one here believes that's what's happening (correct me if I'm wrong).

However, there are Covid sceptics in the forum - people who look at the official narratives with a critical eye, without denying that Covid is real - and I count myself amongst them.
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:29 am
People who believe the vaccine contains a mind-controlling microchip designed by Bill Gates are crazy, end off!
Derek27

SweetLyrics wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:26 am
I will defer to your superior academic expertise on the quality of the abstract (although when I did my MSc, I'm pretty sure that I was told that I didn't need to get bogged down in definitions in my abstract).

It's a shame the professors didn't consult you before publishing their paper. :)
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:23 am
It doesn't take any academic expertise to say something is meaningless. I'm sure you've encountered the odd university research project costing £10K only to find something blindingly obvious, like people who eat at McDonald's are overweight. Sometimes you need to rely on common sense rather than research. Do you really need a scientific paper to tell you staying at home reduces the risk of catching/spreading the virus?
Derek27

SweetLyrics wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:32 am
Yes, but that's hardly relevant to this discussion, as no-one here believes that's what's happening (correct me if I'm wrong).

However, there are Covid sceptics in the forum - people who look at the official narratives with a critical eye, without denying that Covid is real - and I count myself amongst them.
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:29 am
I certainly will correct you for being wrong - Alex does! :lol:
alexmr2 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:05 am
I just wonder if trading pre-off will be easier after all the pro traders who take the vaccine become mind controlled by Bill Gates, or if everything will even out with less liquidity overall
alexmr2 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:30 pm
I think that most traders on here are pretending that the virus is real and the vaccine is a good thing in hope that other traders take it, so that when Bill Gates flicks a switch on his control panel they then have a bigger share of the market whilst those vaccinated big players have been mind controlled into mining lithium for electric car batteries instead
Last edited by Derek27 on Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SweetLyrics

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:37 am
Sometimes you need to rely on common sense rather than research. Do you really need a scientific paper to tell you staying at home reduces the risk of catching/spreading the virus?
I think that, as so often happens in the markets, it's easy to assume something to be the case, only to apply empirical testing and find out that your assumptions are wrong.

If you think that you are any less subject to cognitive biases than us sceptics, you are kidding yourself.

Jeff

Return to “General discussion”