Coronavirus - A pale horse,4 men and ....beer

A place to discuss anything.
Post Reply
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 10415
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

SweetLyrics wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:21 am
Straw man argument.

I have been very clear that I believe that Covid is real.

But if painting people who disagree with you as being crazy conspiracy theorists who believe in the lizard people and who think that we are living in the Matrix, hey, whatever makes you feel good. :)
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:19 am
I'm not talking about people who believe what I believe but people who actually work in care and NHS and see first hand what's going on, as opposed to living in fantasy land and guessing that everything's a conspiracy!

You have the same attitude as Alex in that it's all about what you believe rather than what you see or have evidence/reason to believe.
I didn't say you didn't - I said you think "it's all about what you believe rather than what you see or have evidence/reason to believe", which is why you misunderstood my post.

People who believe the vaccine contains a mind-controlling microchip designed by Bill Gates are crazy, end off!
SweetLyrics
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:57 pm

Yes, but that's hardly relevant to this discussion, as no-one here believes that's what's happening (correct me if I'm wrong).

However, there are Covid sceptics in the forum - people who look at the official narratives with a critical eye, without denying that Covid is real - and I count myself amongst them.
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:29 am
People who believe the vaccine contains a mind-controlling microchip designed by Bill Gates are crazy, end off!
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 10415
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

SweetLyrics wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:26 am
I will defer to your superior academic expertise on the quality of the abstract (although when I did my MSc, I'm pretty sure that I was told that I didn't need to get bogged down in definitions in my abstract).

It's a shame the professors didn't consult you before publishing their paper. :)
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:23 am
I was referring to your post, not the paper. Do you seriously expect me to read every scientific report posted to this forum? I shouldn't even be on this forum, I should be trading. But if that's a summary of the report it's quite a poor one.
It doesn't take any academic expertise to say something is meaningless. I'm sure you've encountered the odd university research project costing £10K only to find something blindingly obvious, like people who eat at McDonald's are overweight. Sometimes you need to rely on common sense rather than research. Do you really need a scientific paper to tell you staying at home reduces the risk of catching/spreading the virus?
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 10415
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

SweetLyrics wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:32 am
Yes, but that's hardly relevant to this discussion, as no-one here believes that's what's happening (correct me if I'm wrong).

However, there are Covid sceptics in the forum - people who look at the official narratives with a critical eye, without denying that Covid is real - and I count myself amongst them.
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:29 am
People who believe the vaccine contains a mind-controlling microchip designed by Bill Gates are crazy, end off!
I certainly will correct you for being wrong - Alex does! :lol:
alexmr2 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:05 am
I just wonder if trading pre-off will be easier after all the pro traders who take the vaccine become mind controlled by Bill Gates, or if everything will even out with less liquidity overall
alexmr2 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:30 pm
I think that most traders on here are pretending that the virus is real and the vaccine is a good thing in hope that other traders take it, so that when Bill Gates flicks a switch on his control panel they then have a bigger share of the market whilst those vaccinated big players have been mind controlled into mining lithium for electric car batteries instead
Last edited by Derek27 on Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SweetLyrics
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:57 pm

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:37 am
Sometimes you need to rely on common sense rather than research. Do you really need a scientific paper to tell you staying at home reduces the risk of catching/spreading the virus?
I think that, as so often happens in the markets, it's easy to assume something to be the case, only to apply empirical testing and find out that your assumptions are wrong.

If you think that you are any less subject to cognitive biases than us sceptics, you are kidding yourself.

Jeff
User avatar
Derek27
Posts: 10415
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:44 am
Location: UK

SweetLyrics wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:41 am
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:37 am
Sometimes you need to rely on common sense rather than research. Do you really need a scientific paper to tell you staying at home reduces the risk of catching/spreading the virus?
I think that, as so often happens in the markets, it's easy to assume something to be the case, only to apply empirical testing and find out that your assumptions are wrong.

If you think that you are any less subject to cognitive biases than us sceptics, you are kidding yourself.

Jeff
I can assure you Jeff, you're kidding yourself if you think everyone is equally subject to cognitive biases. There are people on here who suffer from loss aversion and think they're doomed if they can't turn it into a profit - there are others who take it in their stride, red-up and move on to the next market.

I'm assuming I can't catch Covid-19 down the pub because I'm not there. Are you seriously telling me my assumption is wrong and it might fly over here to my flat? :lol:
SweetLyrics
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:57 pm

And he was clearly being flippant. :)
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:38 am

I certainly will correct you for being wrong - Alex does! :lol:
TraderFred
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:55 am

“ Look around the poker table, if you can’t see the Sucker.... then Jeff must have decided to sit somewhere else “.

Warren Buffett
SweetLyrics
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:57 pm

Not relevant. We are talking about whether restrictions work (and whether restrictions deliver added benefit beyond a particular point).

And yes, in a pub full of people, you are more likely to catch a virus than if you stay at home. But a year ago, I didn't let the possibility of catching the flu (and possibly spreading it) affect my decision to go to the pub and sink down a cold one or two.

Living your whole life in a bubble is existence, not living - you have to accept a degree of risk.
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:49 am
I'm assuming I can't catch Covid-19 down the pub because I'm not there. Are you seriously telling me my assumption is wrong and it might fly over here to my flat? :lol:
SweetLyrics
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:57 pm

There you go with the d*** like behaviour again! :lol:

Are you that rude in real life, or are you quite meek and mild in person?
TraderFred wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:51 am
“ Look around the poker table, if you can’t see the Sucker.... then Jeff must have decided to sit somewhere else “.

Warren Buffett
Post Reply

Return to “General discussion”