Betfair Account Restrictions & closed accounts - Getting them removed and accounts reopened

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Euler

Is there any particular reason why they would do this to you?
jamesedwards

Naffman wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:36 pm

Thanks, yeah all sorted now only took 15 mins but definitely worth keeping what you need in BF instead of withdrawing then depositing again
Out of interest, how did you get this sorted so quickly? Which comms method did you use?
Naffman

jamesedwards wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:28 pm
Naffman wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:36 pm

Thanks, yeah all sorted now only took 15 mins but definitely worth keeping what you need in BF instead of withdrawing then depositing again
Out of interest, how did you get this sorted so quickly? Which comms method did you use?
The email had a link to the live chat
Derek27

Absolutely incredible!! Live chat quickly resolved a problem in 15 minutes. :shock:
Anbell

Happy for you
gazuty

When I logged in yesterday was confronted with a pop up screen asking me to set a max deposit limit.

Did that happen for other users and did it happen for any aust based users?

I chose to skip setting a deposit limit (mainly because I don’t make deposits, only occasional withdrawals - in a zero interest rate environment I’m “happy” to take the risk on betfair insolvency for my balance).
Euler

Not seen anything myself.

I am still getting regular messages from people affected though. I think Betfair has done a terrible job on this. It's difficult to comprehend what a bad job they have done. Catching too many people in the net and not acting quickly enough to reverse blatantly poor decisions.
Buz

gazuty wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:41 pm
When I logged in yesterday was confronted with a pop up screen asking me to set a max deposit limit.

Did that happen for other users and did it happen for any aust based users?

I chose to skip setting a deposit limit (mainly because I don’t make deposits, only occasional withdrawals - in a zero interest rate environment I’m “happy” to take the risk on betfair insolvency for my balance).
Yes, same thing happened to me. My TAB account has been giving me the same prompt every time I sign into it for the past couple of weeks, don't know of any change to any relevant laws so I'm guessing there was a court case somewhere recently that found in favour of a problem gambler.
Derek27

I've become immune to "set deposit limits" or "when the fun stops stop". It's like an annoying record that's constantly being played in the background.
Hastings101

My situation:

I’m a tennis short odds punter rather than trader. I’ve made £210,000 lifetime profit and been caught by the premium charge for £5,000 though not paying any at the moment, though I’m £40k away from their super premium charge.

This is my full time job, though I’ve been less successful recently I’m still in profit since Jan by £1,500, though it’s possible if you look at the last 12 months I might be down with Betfair

I made a £5k deposit on Friday to make sure I had enough funds for Wimbledon and got a call from responsible gambling that evening. I said I was a full time gambler, this was the wrong answer and that with no guaranteed income I’m now restricted to £100 a month.

Just been on their chat function who basically said there is no way they can increase my limits as gambling income isn’t guaranteed. I said I have £150,000 sat in bank accounts so I obviously afford more than £100 a month and was told it doesn’t matter

I’m crushed I’ve been a full time gambler since 2007 and will likely have to get a “proper” job through no fault of my own. I have no idea what employer would be willing to employ me after 14 years out of the work market
MobiusGrey

Hastings101 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:57 pm
My situation:

I’m a tennis short odds punter rather than trader. I’ve made £210,000 lifetime profit and been caught by the premium charge for £5,000 though not paying any at the moment, though I’m £40k away from their super premium charge.

This is my full time job, though I’ve been less successful recently I’m still in profit since Jan by £1,500, though it’s possible if you look at the last 12 months I might be down with Betfair

I made a £5k deposit on Friday to make sure I had enough funds for Wimbledon and got a call from responsible gambling that evening. I said I was a full time gambler, this was the wrong answer and that with no guaranteed income I’m now restricted to £100 a month.

Just been on their chat function who basically said there is no way they can increase my limits as gambling income isn’t guaranteed. I said I have £150,000 sat in bank accounts so I obviously afford more than £100 a month and was told it doesn’t matter

I’m crushed I’ve been a full time gambler since 2007 and will likely have to get a “proper” job through no fault of my own. I have no idea what employer would be willing to employ me after 14 years out of the work market
Wow this sounds horrific, I don't know much about this area but aren't there any kind of "work arounds" you can pull off. Obviously I'm NOT saying you should do this and someone who definitely isn't me used to do matched betting and when this person's accounts were restricted this person opened other accounts in their wife's name and just carried on?
Trader Pat

Hastings101 wrote:
My situation:

£100 a month seems a very low limit to put on someone with that kind of dough especially If you've made 200k in the lifetime of your account, they'd be able to see that.

Have they asked to see proof of the 150k sitting in your bank account?

Hastings101

MobiusGrey wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:25 pm
Hastings101 wrote:
My situation:

Wow this sounds horrific, I don't know much about this area but aren't there any kind of "work arounds" you can pull off. Obviously I'm NOT saying you should do this and someone who definitely isn't me used to do matched betting and when this person's accounts were restricted this person opened other accounts in their wife's name and just carried on?
I did look into this when they introduced the premium charge but didn’t want to risk getting caught.

Another issue now is with these limits being introduced, the level of stakes I use would raise red flags which would lead to deposit limits being imposed very quickly on a friends account. Id love to know what Betfair deems acceptable use (deposits, bet size) is for some on say a 40k salary
Hastings101

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:36 pm
Hastings101 wrote:
My situation:

£100 a month seems a very low limit to put on someone with that kind of dough especially If you've made 200k in the lifetime of your account, they'd be able to see that.

Have they asked to see proof of the 150k sitting in your bank account?

Someone from the responsible gambling team is supposedly going to call me. But both the initial woman who called and the customer service chat woman were both clear it’s about your guaranteed income.

Common sense should mean sending proof of the £150k would be enough, but I don’t think much common sense is being used. I’ve paid of my mortgage so my outgoings are limited as well
Euler

Hastings101 wrote:
My situation:

That's insane. It really does feel like Betfair have outsourced the compliance to a bog standard team who have no understanding of how the exchange works. Just totally insane.

Return to “Betfair exchange”