Betfair Account Restrictions & closed accounts - Getting them removed and accounts reopened

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Trader Pat

I suppose it all comes down to how much you're trying to deposit but you hear stories of people trying to deposit €100 and getting asked to supply the same kind of documentation which is ridiculous.
Custom Cut

Hello everyone, new user here (only really registering to post in this thread) because I think I might as well add my voice to the chorus here. I've been betting on betfair for years but started to scale things up last year. I've only broken even since then but have made significant deposits. In April I was sent an email telling me I would need to prove my source of wealth or else my deposits would be severely limited. Like many, my reaction was just to not make any deposits as I already have enough money in my account. Then on Monday my account was closed abruptly, I've sent what documents I have but have heard nothing back, other than an acknowledgement the documents have been received.

I just don't get it. I haven't asked to make any more deposits, I wasn't warned my account could be closed if I failed to provide documents, and I'm a breakeven customer over the last year. I'm concerned I might not get my account back as my source of wealth is somewhat irregular and I can't see them being satisfied to let me deposit large sums again, although I would settle for simply being allowed to bet again. It just seems like a ridiculous way to run a company, I'm not expecting any major help from this forum as it seems everyone is having to go through this crap, but I might as well make my complaint known. It's also infuriating that I can't find anyone at betfair who knows what they're talking about, the live chat are happy to help but know nothing, and they're very slow to respond to emails.

Looking at the length of time it took Zippus to get sorted I'm feeling pessimistic.
wearthefoxhat

Custom Cut wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 5:19 pm
Hello everyone, new user here (only really registering to post in this thread) because I think I might as well add my voice to the chorus here. I've been betting on betfair for years but started to scale things up last year. I've only broken even since then but have made significant deposits. In April I was sent an email telling me I would need to prove my source of wealth or else my deposits would be severely limited. Like many, my reaction was just to not make any deposits as I already have enough money in my account. Then on Monday my account was closed abruptly, I've sent what documents I have but have heard nothing back, other than an acknowledgement the documents have been received.

I just don't get it. I haven't asked to make any more deposits, I wasn't warned my account could be closed if I failed to provide documents, and I'm a breakeven customer over the last year. I'm concerned I might not get my account back as my source of wealth is somewhat irregular and I can't see them being satisfied to let me deposit large sums again, although I would settle for simply being allowed to bet again. It just seems like a ridiculous way to run a company, I'm not expecting any major help from this forum as it seems everyone is having to go through this crap, but I might as well make my complaint known. It's also infuriating that I can't find anyone at betfair who knows what they're talking about, the live chat are happy to help but know nothing, and they're very slow to respond to emails.

Looking at the length of time it took Zippus to get sorted I'm feeling pessimistic.
That's a new turn of events for sure.

There are plenty in that position, if they go too far, it could seriously undermine the whole exchange.

I understand the money laundering side of things and how the exchanges can be abused, but I predict that the guilty parties have long gone and are focussing on crypto before the respective governments catch up with them there too.
napshnap

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:09 pm
Custom Cut wrote:
Hello everyone...
There are plenty in that position, if they go too far, it could seriously undermine the whole exchange.
And there will be (if not already is) a snowball effect: less losers -> less silly money -> more regulars become losers.
napshnap

Custom Cut wrote:
Hello everyone ...
Don't worry pal, you can always lose your money in financial markets cause regulators don't give a single fk letting poor souls to lose their last trousers there cause, you know - (read with silly voice) GAMBLN IS BAAAAAD.
The Silk Run

napshnap wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 8:16 pm
Custom Cut wrote:
Hello everyone ...
Don't worry pal, you can always lose your money in financial markets cause regulators don't give a single fk letting poor souls to lose their last trousers there cause, you know - (read with silly voice) GAMBLN IS BAAAAAD.
Gaming offshore, that's where the money is, unrestricted, full-on ...
Custom Cut

Custom Cut wrote:

Got my account back today, took them 2 weeks to respond to the first email and thought the process could take forever, I did e-mail the CEO as advised on another thread on this forum and that may have expedited the process as I was able to interact pretty quickly over the last couple of days both through emails and over the phone.

As for the level of details they eventually requested, it's roughly what I would've imagined given they were looking for a source of wealth. I still think it's a pretty intrusive thing to ask for though.
Derek27

Pleased to hear that Custom Cut. Looks like we've all got to avoid everything except winning, paying commission/PC and withdrawing, though I suppose soon they''ll take issue with withdrawals!
Dallas

Custom Cut wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:33 pm
Custom Cut wrote:

Got my account back today, took them 2 weeks to respond to the first email and thought the process could take forever, I did e-mail the CEO as advised on another thread on this forum and that may have expedited the process as I was able to interact pretty quickly over the last couple of days both through emails and over the phone.

As for the level of details they eventually requested, it's roughly what I would've imagined given they were looking for a source of wealth. I still think it's a pretty intrusive thing to ask for though.
Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for updating the community
Grinderman

I have just started a new thread 'Betfair Budgets'.

Basically, they restricted my deposits to £5k a day. Now they have introduced a 'budget' restricting me to £1k a month. Be warned, we all have one. Upon further investigation:

What is an NDL?

An NDL is a Net Deposit Limit. Our app settings now include a default monthly budget for all customers. These budgets are based on your Net Deposits. This means that deposits reduce your budget, and withdrawals increase it.

How does this affect my account?

All customers will have a default Budget applied to their accounts. If you reach the limits of this Budget, you may be unable to deposit for a certain period of time.

Why have Betfair started this initiative?

At Betfair, we want to ensure that our customers always enjoy their experience when playing with us. Our aim is to implement an element of fun with our products and services, that’s why we ask you to bet responsibly. Betting can be great entertainment, provided you stay in control. We will always endeavour to help you if you find yourself in difficulty.

What can I do if I’m not happy with my budget?

To change your deposit, you’ll need to get in touch with us and provide some additional information.
Euler

I can't comment specifically on affordability, but a sort of loss limit based on net winnings probably does stop people losing too much.

The big issue I have in seeing these things implemented is that it doesn't take account of the underlying activity.

Pissing away £5k a month on slots is a bit different from trading or arbing against bookies. It's a big flaw with loss limits.
mcfc1981

Where can you find this budget limit?
Euler

mcfc1981 wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:43 pm
Where can you find this budget limit?
It's not applicable to everybody I suspect?
Grinderman

If you look at what I pasted in above from FAQ, it says we all have one. I suspect we may not. Below is what I have pasted in from my Player Protection tab.

Note, I am a net winner to quite a few grand. Not a losing punter.

Your Budget
This is a budget applied by us for all our customers. Budgets are based on your net deposit position. This means that depositing will reduce your budget, and withdrawing will increase it. To change your budget, you'll need to get in touch and provide some information.

Current budget:
£1,000 per month
£0 remaining
Euler

Nothing on my player protection tab, just the ability to set up limits if I want.

Return to “Betfair exchange”