PC - Going from 50% to 40%

A place to discuss anything.
tees

I've been paying 50% PC for a while now but have at last managed to get to 10% lifetime commission to gross profit ratio (using the numbers from my PC page), thus reducing my PC to 40%.

The following is taken from the Betfair site:

"If your rate has decreased (eg if your lifetime commission generated to gross profits ratio increases from 4.9% to 5.1% - moving you from a 60% rate to 50% rate), the Premium Charges you overpaid when being charged the higher rate previously will be used to offset future Premium Charges."

Is there someway to work out how much will be offset with regards to paying future PC? I thought something would change on my PC page, i.e. total charges, but it's remained about the same as the week before and shows 50.09% in brackets.

Any response or views appreciated.

Thanks.
rik

If your still at 50,09 they havent switched you to 40% yet, for me it was a couple of weeks late, after i send an email.
They probably want to make sure you dont flip flop from 9.9 to 10,0 but stay above 10 permanently
for me i settled about 44% so had 4% buffer. you will get 20% of the pc charges you paid at 50 as buffer as you now only pay 40%, so say yoour pc statement shows 50k in pc charges you get a 10k buffer
tees

Thanks rik - really useful post.

With regards to flip-flopping between over and under 10% - yes, it makes sense not to prematurely move to a different level. I'll just gradually increase from 10% so I have a buffer and then email Betfair.

With regards to the PC buffer and the 20% figure:

Since paying 50% PC I've only paid about £8K in PC (I keep a tally). However, my PC statement shows PC well into 6 figures (I don't fully understand this figure). Would the PC buffer be 20% of 8K or 20% of the PC shown in the statement?
rik

you must have paid at 20% rate before or even 60%, thats also added to the regular premium charge column.
"other charges" column is what you would have paid had you been on the current 50% rate from when you started betfair, you didnt actually pay that so its not in the calculation
if you paid about 8k since your on 50% you can expect to have a buffer of 1.6k
Derek27

I'm still paying 20% but I understand when you hit 40% your 'other charges' will contain what you would have paid if you were on 40% from the beginning and you get credited for paying it. Otherwise you would have a huge shortfall. I'm guessing it may be readjusted when you drop to 40%.
tees

Thanks both.

I wasn't referring to the 'Other Charges' column but the 'Premium Charges' column. I know exactly how much PC I have actually paid over my lifetime, as well as since going to 50% PC, but I just can't make the maths work - I'm missing a piece of the puzzle. I guess an email to Betfair is needed to clarify.
JohnT

Derek27 "other charges" never changes--yours will always be 0

To calculate buffer you can divide total charges by 0.4 and subtract gross profit.
xtrader16

Do you mind if ask: Why did you allow your accounts to show such profits so Betfair can charge you their Premium Charges.

I thought it would be just as easy to lose money on Betfair and make it back on Ladbrokes /Betdaq accounts and keep your Betfair accounts under £20k profit......the difference in the two options, money wise, is huge.

Just asking like....I understand for those who got the PC applied retrospectively but not for those who knew the rules well in advance. Why allow your account to get to that level?

Surely it's easy to lose £500 on Betfair whilst covering most of the £500 on other exchanges?
rik

losing on purpose doesnt make sense, if its easy to win somewhere else and lose on betfair your still better off not placing the betfair bets
Naffman

xtrader16 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:37 am
Do you mind if ask: Why did you allow your accounts to show such profits so Betfair can charge you their Premium Charges.

I thought it would be just as easy to lose money on Betfair and make it back on Ladbrokes /Betdaq accounts and keep your Betfair accounts under £20k profit......the difference in the two options, money wise, is huge.

Just asking like....I understand for those who got the PC applied retrospectively but not for those who knew the rules well in advance. Why allow your account to get to that level?

Surely it's easy to lose £500 on Betfair whilst covering most of the £500 on other exchanges?
Sounds like you got that from Bald Tony who makes avoiding PC sound so easy.

Not only will you lose on the spread/commission but who's to say you won't win on BF and lose on BD, also the commission generated will be poor.
Emmson

You can't choose where you lose, although that short legged omnivore thinks you can.
Euler

Y, it's null argument proposed by people who don't pay it.

You win, you lose, you just can't choose.
napshnap

xtrader16 wrote:
I don't think you'll be in good standing with Betfair for PC avoidance.
Derek27

JohnT wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:06 am
Derek27 "other charges" never changes--yours will always be 0

To calculate buffer you can divide total charges by 0.4 and subtract gross profit.
You mean multiply?

Is that true for higher rate payers? I just assumed if you're lifetime PC was under 20% when it was introduced or under 40% when you get hit by the higher rate, they credit you with a nominal charge as though you've paid it. Does the 'other charges' also include data/transaction charges? I've never had to pay those.
Derek27

xtrader16 wrote:

That's what I was doing a few years ago. You won't get as much as you want on with the bookies and you can't keep it up for long, the bookies gub you.
I think Betdaq have their own PC so you're bound to win on one of the exchanges.

Return to “General discussion”