Tech Savvy? After a new computer

A place to discuss anything.
Dublin_Flyer

For a self-build, pcpartpicker.com is a definite one to check. Buying parts that go together on paper perfectly is all good and well, but if the parts arrive and you can't fit the cooler onto the CPU because you bought a bigass Noctua cooler and your RAM is too high for it to sit in, then you're in trouble!
Stock cooler on most CPUs is about the size of a Terrys Chocolate Orange box, Noctua nh-d14 is about the size of a box with sides the size of a cd case (remember those things :) ) so it'll block any high profile RAM or other peripherals fitting in there depending on the motherboard layout/RAM placement and PCI slots.

That website is good for physical checking if everything fits, skinflint.co.uk is best for price comparison once you find what you want if you're in the UK, the EU version of the same site is geizhals.eu. Be very aware of import taxes if you order from EU and live in UK or vice versa. Same with ordering things from Newegg in the US. I learnt the hard way years ago, RAM I wanted for $98 yessss, import tax and duty and shit €22 nooooo.

If you're not really sure what full system you want/need, you could put a request on the subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/buildmeapc/ with your exact specs about monitor requirements on the GPU, memory etc, then just look at the one with most upvotes and size/price that one out.

Then come back here and run it by us and we'll check did those unpaid nerds do their homework properly :lol:
Kai

+1 to what Dublin_Flyer said, especially about pcpartpicker and the subreddits.

Another good website : https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/

I don't really follow the hardware market but I try to keep my PC high end, this is probably the worst time to build one because of the GPU market collapse, altho it's a far wider issue. I'm still stuck with a GTX 1080Ti without Ray Tracing tech for the foreseeable... Not a humblebrag either, it's actual sadness :D :cry:

It's really bad, people build actual scripts and bots to try and buy a good GPU somewhere, all gets sold asap.

So maybe going with prebuilt is more sensible.
The Silk Run

+10 Hearts
Dublin_Flyer on-point, as usual. Ironically, just dealing with RAM issues myself.
Forword / Nice to hear your still contributing, I used to follow all your posts.
Derek27

jimibt wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:52 pm
FWIW - i'm of the opinon these days that it's just as economical to split the duties of your laptop across a number of platforms/devices. To this end, I run my laptop plus connect to my VPS on two different logins. VPS' these days are pretty much delivering the same power as a high spec laptop, so it's a no brainer.

I have mine setup with the main laptop screen, plus two 24' monitors either side. the LAPTOP portion is used for standard email/browsing etc, whilst the VPS delivers my betfair activites on one login and my development platform on the other (i also on occassion have 3rd party VPS's that I login to for specific tasks).

If i ever find that I'm running out of *juice*, I can upgrade the package to inculde more RAM and/or double up the cores of the cpu. the entire setup costs just under £20 a month, pretty much in line with a decent laptop's depreciation over 3 years. It honestly depends on what you want to *own* at the end of the 3rd year.
Hi Jim,

What sort of specs (vCores, RAM, SSD) do you need to trade, and is it advisable to get a VPS or a dedicated server?

At the bottom end, they start with as little as 512MB of RAM but you can't even install Windows 10 with that little memory?
jimibt

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:20 am
jimibt wrote:
FWIW - i'm of the opinon these days that it's just as economical to split the duties of your laptop across a number of platforms/devices. To this end, I run my laptop plus connect to my VPS on two different logins. VPS' these days are pretty much delivering the same power as a high spec laptop, so it's a no brainer.

I have mine setup with the main laptop screen, plus two 24' monitors either side. the LAPTOP portion is used for standard email/browsing etc, whilst the VPS delivers my betfair activites on one login and my development platform on the other (i also on occassion have 3rd party VPS's that I login to for specific tasks).

If i ever find that I'm running out of *juice*, I can upgrade the package to inculde more RAM and/or double up the cores of the cpu. the entire setup costs just under £20 a month, pretty much in line with a decent laptop's depreciation over 3 years. It honestly depends on what you want to *own* at the end of the 3rd year.
Hi Jim,

What sort of specs (vCores, RAM, SSD) do you need to trade, and is it advisable to get a VPS or a dedicated server?

At the bottom end, they start with as little as 512MB of RAM but you can't even install Windows 10 with that little memory?
this is the provider that i use. have literally no concerns about performance and use the same vps on dual logins to simultaneously use it for development (using .net) as well as running BA and OTHER trading softwae. no glitches and transparent access... the base installation is windows server 2019 (pre installed). you simply install your own kit thereafter.

got no ties with this outfit but have no hesitation in recommending them: https://www.simplyhosting.com/vps

i use the M - SSD 3 package - think my monthly bill is about £17.99 ish
Derek27

jimibt wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:47 am
Derek27 wrote:
jimibt wrote:

Hi Jim,

this is the provider that i use. have literally no concerns about performance and use the same vps on dual logins to simultaneously use it for development (using .net) as well as running BA and OTHER trading softwae. no glitches and transparent access... the base installation is windows server 2019 (pre installed). you simply install your own kit thereafter.

got no ties with this outfit but have no hesitation in recommending them: https://www.simplyhosting.com/vps

Thanks Jim, I'll give SSD 2 a try. I was going to get a decent laptop with a desktop to follow later, but as I'm hardly ever away from home and it would just be used as a secondary PC I'm probably better off getting a lower spec machine and VPS.
foxwood

jimibt wrote:
+1 used to be Tagadab - been on their VPS's with Server 2012 R2 since they started offering them - good deal at the moment with no Windows charge.
jimibt

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:08 pm
jimibt wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

Hi Jim,

Thanks Jim, I'll give SSD 2 a try. I was going to get a decent laptop with a desktop to follow later, but as I'm hardly ever away from home and it would just be used as a secondary PC I'm probably better off getting a lower spec machine and VPS.
one thing i forgot to mention, tho you may have noticed. you can add additional items such as more diskspace/ram etc during the plan. so if you find that you're using it more and more for other duties, you can just add upgrades as required. that said, i use it pretty heavily on 2 logins as mentioned and have never seen it struggle.

also a VERY nice thing i noticed is that the ping rate to the betfair api is about 2-3ms!!

api-ping-vm.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anbell

jimibt wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:09 am
Derek27 wrote:
jimibt wrote:

one thing i forgot to mention, tho you may have noticed. you can add additional items such as more diskspace/ram etc during the plan. so if you find that you're using it more and more for other duties, you can just add upgrades as required. that said, i use it pretty heavily on 2 logins as mentioned and have never seen it struggle.

also a VERY nice thing i noticed is that the ping rate to the betfair api is about 2-3ms!!

api-ping-vm.PNG
Thanks for thee tip re these guys. Much cheaper than my other supplier. Warning for others: signing up is a pain. They wanted my drivers license and recent utility bill!
jimibt

Anbell wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:16 am
jimibt wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:09 am
Derek27 wrote:

api-ping-vm.PNG
Thanks for thee tip re these guys. Much cheaper than my other supplier. Warning for others: signing up is a pain. They wanted my drivers license and recent utility bill!
i never had any of that formality. wonder if it's due to being overseas account?? anyway, hope you find it both cheaper and more powerful than your previous offering ;) as mentioned in previous post, the 2ms ping is an absolute bonus, esp if you have any IP strategies!

Return to “General discussion”