Bet365 CEO Pay Denise Coates

A place to discuss anything.
AlexisMartin

Not even sure why I am posting here, bNot even sure why I am posting here, but even by American capitalist standards (“American” in the derogatory sense) the executive pay of Denise Coates is grotesque in its vulgarity.

To achieve roughly £1bn through salary and dividend payments is shocking. A lot of member here have some experience of the corporate world and may have been successful, some may have been dick for tick financial futures scalpers or some other experience all put significant elbow grease to secure our financial futures.

I do not detract from her efforts but only hope she contributes enough to political causes, I fear the image of gambling and their ruthless operators serve as red flag to our righteous politicians. I imagine a headline somewhere such as “Executive pay on the back of problem gamblers” and as we know it only takes one problem gambler to tarnish everyone.
Trader Pat

I think this is a drum that's been beaten too death to be honest but what's interesting to me is some 'pro traders' with stuff to sell seem intent on beating it well into the afterlife
The Silk Run

Bet £3.65 have also seen an increase in account restrictions, limits. That's see if that reflects on Ms COATES salary next year, I very much doubt it !!! I wish anyone doing well GOOD LUCK.
megarain

The site is slick and obviously does the business.

Unlike some others ...

Have no problem whatever she pays herself - she pays massive amounts of tax - not like some others.
superfrank

If Bet 365 can afford to pay her that kind of money it suggests there is plenty of scope for the competition to up their game.
ShaunWhite

You either subscribe to capitalism or not, there's no capitalism-lite. What she pays herself is irrelevant, it's what she does with it that's important because money needs circulate around the system rather than being hoarded. But let's hope it's not politics though because wealth shouldn't give you a bigger say.
darchas

I think the main point of the op was around the potential negative optics for this in the public eye. We've already seen new legislation around problem gambling, and there's more and more talk around the issue, prominence of gambling ads in football is a recent one. There is definitely a growing clamour for the government to do more to tackle this issue, and I'm sure, as the op says, those voices can use this in their case to convince more members of the public to get behind the cause.

Not saying at all that there's not room for the government to do more in this area, problem gambling is a real and damaging issue. However often solutions can have unintended consequences, especially I'd say for sport traders.
Derek27

She won't get another paycheque like that the way things are going. People who can't afford to lose will have their accounts closed. People who can (and are made aware of how much they're losing when their account's suspended) aren't likely to be desperate to jump through all the hoops so they can lose more money!
megarain

In my mind, I am guessing 80% of the profit comes from Asia.

That’s not gonna stop.

Happy to bet even £100, she gets more next year.
Derek27

I'm off to Thailand. :D
buyshirts

It's a private company which they have built up off their own backs.

She isn't like the CEO of say Barclays who get parachuted in and leaves after a couple of years millions better off and fortunes in share options or you can compare her to Philip Green who creates his own business and then as soon as he makes it they are straight off to tax havens pay little or no tax.

Her and the company are massive tax payers they support the local economy greatly surely if people have a problem with what they are doing the problem they have stem from more a political stand point about the system than what they are doing personally and as a company.
jamesg46

buyshirts wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:24 pm
It's a private company which they have built up off their own backs.

She isn't like the CEO of say Barclays who get parachuted in and leaves after a couple of years millions better off and fortunes in share options or you can compare her to Philip Green who creates his own business and then as soon as he makes it they are straight off to tax havens pay little or no tax.

Her and the company are massive tax payers they support the local economy greatly surely if people have a problem with what they are doing the problem they have stem from more a political stand point about the system than what they are doing personally and as a company.
365 are a good size employer, living in the area I have friends and family that work there in multiple roles & they're pretty well paid too relative to the pay around here. Some people only see Denise and the huge amounts she pays herself but there is knock on effects, such as employee tax contributions, better wages increases the standard to which people live (marginally around here) but they buy/want better standards of goods such as houses/cars etc. Then there is the old eye sore of a site that they revamped from an ugly dump into a modern looking complex, which was huge for the local construction & fabrication companies which then leads to 365's supply chain for stationary, work wear etc... it has had an overall positive effect on the local economy. Not sure about the wallets of gamblers but whatever, that's their choice. The only thing that pisses me off is that she flys over my house every Wednesdays evening in her helicopter, that 30 seconds of chopper noise really is her downfall in my eyes :lol:
jamesedwards

It's illogical for the general public to get so worked up about the pay packets of top earners. It can only be misguided envy.

The more an individual gets paid the more company profit is diverted to the tax revenue stream, and therefore the more money is available to fund the needs/wants of society.
buyshirts

I give you Philip Green that well known all round good egg!
ShaunWhite

For every Philip Green there's a Doreen Lofthouse, but the red tops would rather stoke division than reality.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-engla ... e-56587841

Return to “General discussion”