Strategy/Edge poll

A place to discuss anything.

If someone gave you a profitable strategy would you have an edge?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:29 pm

Yes.
42%
No.
58%

Total votes: 33
Mr.Teeny

Don’t really see how ‘naive’ is a personal insult. Though if someone takes the time to reply and then has their reply instantly dismissed as nonsense, then it’s bound to provoke.

Though from what I can gather, that’s all you seem to want to do. Provoke and argue, which is fine, though if you are going to have that sort of rude dismissive manner about you, then it probably helps if you come across as if you actually know what you are talking about.

Application, adaption and money management are all things that traders need to learn. I’m not disputing that. Though I wouldn’t call them edges. You can teach the theory to all of that stuff and you’re not really giving anything away.

Though there are some things that can’t be shared, if you want your edge to have longevity.

Why do you think when Peter posts one of his high end 3 figure screenshots from one of the big Saturday races that he never includes the detailed time stamped data of what bets he placed, when he placed them, and the stakes he used ?

You can’t share everything.
Kai

greenmark wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:01 pm
If you have spotted that inefficiency, why not exploit it to the maximum. Or are you suggesting there are inefficiencies that are deep pools that several/many people can exploit?
To be fair, there's a lot more to edges than various market inefficiencies.

For the biggest of edges one person simply cannot exploit it to the maximum, their comfort zone would never allow this, very few people break through those types of mental barriers, you already know that not everyone can chase a 6 figure result on a single market like Rebelo or use 50k stakes like megarain the other day in the outage thread.

I'm afraid it's more complex than that, one edge could be like a Trans-Siberian train where a whole host of people can comfortably jump on board and safely reach their destination, while another edge could be like a one-seater car with enough room for just 1 person.

(Apologies for potentially downgrading the discussion with a meme, I can delete it if necessary :))
to75ne

not digging anyone out, just a glance at this fred whilst i t wait for the next 2 races i am not trading to disappear, does anyone actually trade horse races?

?
Last edited by to75ne on Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesg46

Mr.Teeny wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:55 pm
Don’t really see how ‘naive’ is a personal insult. Though if someone takes the time to reply and then has their reply instantly dismissed as nonsense, then it’s bound to provoke.

Though from what I can gather, that’s all you seem to want to do. Provoke and argue, which is fine, though if you are going to have that sort of rude dismissive manner about you, then it probably helps if you come across as if you actually know what you are talking about.

Application, adaption and money management are all things that traders need to learn. I’m not disputing that. Though I wouldn’t call them edges. You can teach the theory to all of that stuff and you’re not really giving anything away.

Though there are some things that can’t be shared, if you want your edge to have longevity.

Why do you think when Peter posts one of his high end 3 figure screenshots from one of the big Saturday races that he never includes the detailed time stamped data of what bets he placed, when he placed them, and the stakes he used ?

You can’t share everything.
Maybe I was a little too quick to dismiss your comment, I'll try and leave it a little longer before I reply next time.

I agree, I can see how having a different opinion can be provocative, usually that's how conversations go, one person comments and that can provoke someone else to respond. I'm not sure I'm being nasty about anything though.

For the record, I know what I'm talking about, edges and strategies, I've tried to stay on topic for the most part but I have to admit some comments have side swiped me. The factual aspect of the topic is up for discussion, open for opinion to which there is many variants... I'm assuming all of those people don't know what they're talking about in your eyes?

I've said I'm open to being wrong. I have an opinion and I'm flexible with that. You didn't change my opinion and I won't change yours, sorry if that's too provoking but I'll say what I think... I'm not just going to settle for what others say if I don't think it's correct in order to keep the peace or stay in line.
Mr.Teeny

jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:10 pm

... I'm assuming all of those people don't know what they're talking about in your eyes?
Nope, just you.

Some good posts on this thread, in my opinion.
jamesg46

Mr.Teeny wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:20 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:10 pm

... I'm assuming all of those people don't know what they're talking about in your eyes?
Nope, just you.

Some good posts on this thread, in my opinion.
Oh, I see how that works. Everyone else's differing opinions are correct but there is only one that equates to "not knowing what you're talking about". Makes perfect sense, like I said, we should not make it personal but whatever.
Kai

Regarding all the random bickering, isn't it obvious what creates this?

There is no real need to argue in a belligerent manner, it will not strengthen your arguments and will instead snowball them in all the wrong directions.

It only takes a couple of people to do it, even just one, it keeps the tensions high for no reason whatsoever. And since nobody knows what the issue really is, because there often is no issue (DUH), then it stays unresolved and only festers like a bad infection. Until it escalates further at the first opportunity and threads get locked or people quit the forum. You could all name a few examples for these same old repeating patterns.

It really shouldn't be too difficult to try and rise above it since it can be easily prevented by avoiding belligerence altogether.

I suggest to send each other a PM and name it "WTF IS YOUR PROBLEM BRO" and take it from there, I'm positive there's a high chance that you manage to resolve your issues there, once you realize there actually aren't any :)
Trader Pat

I don't think there's any danger of this thread being locked, I haven't seen anything nasty being said on it anywhere.

Imo the problem is people who can dish it out but can't take it in return.
Kai

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:38 pm
I don't think there's any danger of this thread being locked, I haven't seen anything nasty being said on it anywhere.
Not at this point, no, but it does discourage people from contributing.

A thread was locked just a few days ago, albeit because a poster joked about dead people, which is quite a trigger for those that recently lost someone.

Say what you will about Alex, but at least he does try to back up his arguments in the right manner, without getting personal or belligerent, from what I've seen at least.
jamesg46

I'll just say it here.

I do not have an issue with anyone. I may disagree on things but that doesn't fester into an issue.

I'm possibly wrong with many things that I say or I may of said something that inadvertently got someone's back up but I never did it because of an issue.

Unlike what's been said, if I've got an issue with someone they'll sure as hell know about it and I don't hold it back... the Covid thread sort of highlighted that, which I'm not proud of just for reference.

I've said that I wasn't trying to argue. I'll conversate with people all day but unfortunately as soon as someone doesn't like a response or the way you respond it gets personal.

Everyone seems so damn sensitive these days... when it comes to thinking about needing an injunction because someone has mentioned you a few times then imo we're bordering lunacy, maybe we've all been locked up for too long.
Trader Pat

Kai wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:54 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Not at this point, no, but it does discourage people from contributing.

A thread was locked just a few days ago, albeit because a poster joked about dead people, which is quite a trigger for those that recently lost someone.

Say what you will about Alex, but at least he does try to back up his arguments in the right manner, without getting personal or belligerent, from what I've seen at least.
That wasn't the only reason that thread was locked which can be seen by Dallas' last comment when he locked it. That thread turned into a Troll's paradise, all it needed was three billy goats to be officially a fairytale.
jamesg46

Trader Pat wrote:

Imo the problem is people who can dish it out but can't take it in return.
"The problem is" come off your high horse. I don't think I've seen one post from you in this thread that's relative to the topic. You commented before I even mentioned you and then it's all for some sort of dislike for Pat agenda and injunctions may be needed, talk about not being able to take it... I wasn't even giving it.
Korattt

it’s only this afternoon I’ve realised that an edge can pop out of nowhere 🤔 & people focus on what they can do rather than what they can’t due to one reason or another
Trader Pat

jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:58 pm

I've said that I wasn't trying to argue. I'll conversate with people all day but unfortunately as soon as someone doesn't like a response or the way you respond it gets personal.

Everyone seems so damn sensitive these days... when it comes to thinking about needing an injunction because someone has mentioned you a few times then imo we're bordering lunacy, maybe we've all been locked up for too long.

You're describing yourself James, down to a tee. I'll give you one of many examples.

Just look at your 4 (yes 4) responses to this post I made just last week.
viewtopic.php?p=259630#p259630
You respond by asking a question, when I don't answer it you ask another more direct question.

Then on the next page you follow it up with a comment aimed directly at me which was obviously made to provoke some kind of argument and then 30 minutes later you call me out again by preempting my response that I never made! You then sign off by calling anyone who doesn't define an edge in the same way you do a half wit.
viewtopic.php?p=259671#p259671

For the record I didn't respond because I didn't see them until the next day but when I did it reminded me of this:
https://youtu.be/svzl3aeezLQ
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:58 pm
I do not have an issue with anyone. I may disagree on things but that doesn't fester into an issue.
Of course you're not arguing, you're just disagreeing with everyone. You don't have an issue with anyone which is why you keep needing to say it.

By the way, I'm not drunk. ;)

Return to “General discussion”