Best strategy for a matched bettor

A place to discuss anything.
Danny Asda

Hello,

Am looking for some help and advice. For the last two years I have been making a living from matched betting. Last week I lost my last 3 useful accounts, and I have now been gubbed almost everywhere. I have some other accounts in friends and relatives names for bonus free rolls and easy stuff, but now I keep getting these requests for their private information, so those accounts are now more or less gubbed too.

I don’t want to give up this lifestyle that I have become accustomed to, so I want to now take the next step and become a sports trader. I am looking for a profitable strategy that I can follow in the same way. I got told about scalping by a poster on the student room, which is meant to be similar to MB, though unlike MB, I kept getting into a situation where only one side was matched. So it became a straight bet, or a straight lay bet. This wasn’t really what I was looking for, as I don’t like having any risk.

Does anybody have a simple profitable strategy that I can follow that is suitable for a former matched bettor ?
Kai

Hi there
Danny Asda wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:09 pm
I am looking for a profitable strategy that I can follow in the same way.
That's sort of the point with sports trading and trading in general, everyone is supposed to find and develop their own strategy and gain an edge over the market.
Danny Asda wrote:
I got told about scalping by a poster on the student room, which is meant to be similar to MB, though unlike MB, I kept getting into a situation where only one side was matched. So it became a straight bet, or a straight lay bet. This wasn’t really what I was looking for, as I don’t like having any risk.
If you don't like having any risk that's too bad, because trading is a game of risk management in a nutshell. No risk, no profit, that would be the whole point.
Danny Asda wrote:
Does anybody have a simple profitable strategy that I can follow that is suitable for a former matched bettor ?
Completely different game, you're not all united against the bookie and taking advantage of his freebies, when trading you actively compete against each other so don't expect too much sharing, if any at all.
ShaunWhite

Danny Asda wrote:
Matched betting and trading are very different. As you know MB is about grabbing arbs when you see them and not that hard, trading is about understanding how markets behave and move and is incredibly hard. If there were simple profitable strategies to be handed out then 95% of people wouldn't fail at trading.

If you need the income then you'd need to get a paying job asap, it's going to take 6-12 months min to start making trading profits and judging by the other matched bettors who've rocked up and tried you might never make a profit. No point candy coating it Danny, you've got a lot of work ahead.
ShaunWhite

Whoever suggested scalping has seen trading but clearly never done it. Scalping needs all your senses on autopilot and the reactions of a gunslinger. Popular with newbies because it looks simple but it's a baptism of fire. You're fine for am hour then bam, you've lost 10 ticks like a rabbit in the headlights.

..kai's point about not sharing is because the markets are small. But you know that from MBing and understand that one person having £100 is ok but 100 people having £100 means that most don't get their money down.
Kai

Forgot to say to watch out when you Google about this stuff, you'll find many websites and services telling you exactly what you want to hear but it's all mostly bollox.

If you want to get a real picture of trading you can read some of the forum threads instead.
Danny Asda

@kai haha that’s funny about google, as that’s how I ended up here

@kai & @Shaun white . Thanks for the replies and advice, it sounds like a tough gig. Like you say maybe time for a rethink.
People share on MB forums , will put up alerts when special offers are on and stuff. Not many are sports traders though. Everyone says scalping as you get your profit guaranteed straight away like you do with MB, though that didn’t happen to me on Saturday. Well it did a couple of times, but then when it did horses didn’t win anyway. Then one the one side got matched, but odds went out ,other side not matched, ended up as £10 win bet, then it lost so I stopped.
Other one I got told about was lay the draw. Lay bet draw, wait for goal, then wait for about a minute, then press cash out button. Tried it on the County game last night. Wasn’t a goal lol. 0-0. Couldn’t cash out, lost liability. They said don’t do non league, choose a premier game when I told them what happened. Just wondered if there were any more worth trying.
Kai

Scalping can indeed get annoying when the other side doesn't get matched :lol:

But the traders here love a good challenge ;)

Have a look at the 2 articles below for more information on what you were looking for.

https://www.betfairtradingblog.com/betf ... -ten-tips/

https://www.betfairtradingblog.com/best ... a-steamer/
rik

Its back the draw now in 2021, no goal first 5 minutes cash out button LOCK IN THE PROFIT
Emmson

Here is a bright (judged on how articulate she is) lass who wanted to make the transition from matched betting to scalping and I think failed.

In practise mode (BetAngel) she doesn't display lizard like reactions. I watched all her vids before they dried up.

I would enjoy seeing some successful female sports traders. Are there any? apart from Eulers daughter :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkiix0MQYZI
Danny Asda

@kai thanks, I’ll have a read of those later.

@rik thanks mate, pool n city, double win! Nice one.
goat68

Danny Asda wrote:
Hello,

Am looking for some help and advice. For the last two years I have been making a living from matched betting. Last week I lost my last 3 useful accounts, and I have now been gubbed almost everywhere. I have some other accounts in friends and relatives names for bonus free rolls and easy stuff, but now I keep getting these requests for their private information, so those accounts are now more or less gubbed too.

I don’t want to give up this lifestyle that I have become accustomed to, so I want to now take the next step and become a sports trader. I am looking for a profitable strategy that I can follow in the same way. I got told about scalping by a poster on the student room, which is meant to be similar to MB, though unlike MB, I kept getting into a situation where only one side was matched. So it became a straight bet, or a straight lay bet. This wasn’t really what I was looking for, as I don’t like having any risk.

Read my thread "Trading what I see!?", I came from matching betting, although I am not naive to trading, just never successful, and still not at sport trading (YET!) after a mere 9months. My 9months of sheer hell has taught me to understand why the profitable guys on here took years to master this stuff...
(and yes my bot is another -£3.37 down today, g'damit!)
Derek27

Danny Asda wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:55 pm
@kai haha that’s funny about google, as that’s how I ended up here

@kai & @Shaun white . Thanks for the replies and advice, it sounds like a tough gig. Like you say maybe time for a rethink.
People share on MB forums , will put up alerts when special offers are on and stuff. Not many are sports traders though. Everyone says scalping as you get your profit guaranteed straight away like you do with MB, though that didn’t happen to me on Saturday. Well it did a couple of times, but then when it did horses didn’t win anyway. Then one the one side got matched, but odds went out ,other side not matched, ended up as £10 win bet, then it lost so I stopped.
Other one I got told about was lay the draw. Lay bet draw, wait for goal, then wait for about a minute, then press cash out button. Tried it on the County game last night. Wasn’t a goal lol. 0-0. Couldn’t cash out, lost liability. They said don’t do non league, choose a premier game when I told them what happened. Just wondered if there were any more worth trying.
There is absolutely nothing anyone can tell you in a single sentence, or even half an hour, that will turn you into a profitable trader. It's possible to make money scalping, laying the draw and all kinds of other strategies but there is far more situational skill and knowledge required. As already mentioned, it's quite a long road to success.

By the way, if you're scalping and only one bet is matched it makes sense to close for a loss rather than let the bet run. Whoever told you you're guaranteed a profit meant assuming both bets are matched at your initial prices.
Danny Asda

@derek I was told get bet matched on both sides, then you either get £2 £5 or £10 if it wins, if it doesn’t win you get zero, I wasn’t told about one side not being matched and the loss Thanks
@goat thanks for advice,I wasn’t really expecting this to be honest. Will look at thread but 211 pages is a lot and I’m not much of a reader. Still got to read the stuff @kai sent yet too. To be honest I didn’t think there was going to be quite so much reading.
Kai

Trading successfully would take infinitely more effort than you're apparently willing to make :)

Sorry to say but probably best to call it early if you don't even know what you're getting yourself into.
Kai

Danny Asda wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 pm
To be honest I didn’t think there was going to be quite so much reading.
LOL. Neither did Mr Goat :D

Reading is just the foreplay part, wait till you get to the juicy bits!

Return to “General discussion”