Credibility

A place to discuss anything.
gazuty

Some interesting and thoughtful posts.

Much of what I see in comments toward newbies is good advice or at the very least a thoughtful perspective which a newbie should reflect upon.

There are of course martingale threads, loss recovery and other losing ideas. Most get shot down even if there are some pockets of support for strategies the wise would not follow.

In my view part of a newbies task (and really the task for all of us) is to separate the wheat from the chaff. And think about the perspectives offered and whether or not they are sensible etc. I always encourage experimentation, note taking, refinement (in a loop). Is that the right way (it is for me). Others may disagree and that is fine. I might be upvoted or downvoted, liked or disliked. That doesn’t necessarily bear on whether my contribution has or has not been worthwhile. Wrong answers may be as helpful as right answers to a person who thinks carefully and experiments.

So do we need voting systems and badges ?

This is my answer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ
Trader Pat

gazuty wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:12 pm
Others may disagree and that is fine. I might be upvoted or downvoted, liked or disliked. That doesn’t necessarily bear on whether my contribution has or has not been worthwhile. Wrong answers may be as helpful as right answers to a person who thinks carefully and experiments.

I'm starting to come around to this way of thinking since yesterday. I was never in favour of the PC gold stars approach and while I think the option to like / dislike posts is a good idea I'm not sure how it could be implimented properly without nonsense being upvoted and good advice being down voted because of its source.

I still don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with the forum, yes its gone off the rails a few times of late and it seems to be happening more frequently but that's just down to handful of idiots, I don't think its reflective of the majority of forum members.

Anyway Dallas and Peter have made their feelings known so that should put a stop to most of the nonsense. And the best way to deal with trolling and stupidity is to just ignore it, easier said than done sometimes I know but responding to it makes everyone look like an idiot.
gazuty

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:27 pm
I'm starting to come around to this way of thinking since yesterday. I was never in favour of the PC gold stars approach and while I think the option to like / dislike posts is a good idea I'm not sure how it could be implimented properly without nonsense being upvoted and good advice being down voted because of its source.

I still don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with the forum, yes its gone off the rails a few times of late and it seems to be happening more frequently but that's just down to handful of idiots, I don't think its reflective of the majority of forum members.

Anyway Dallas and Peter have made their feelings known so that should put a stop to most of the nonsense. And the best way to deal with trolling and stupidity is to just ignore it, easier said than done sometimes I know but responding to it makes everyone look like an idiot.
Appreciated. I was also attracted to the prospect of getting a special badge or status etc. (Humans are generally very status driven animals).

I am attracted to the idea of a T-shirt. I’ll post up a design.
5B582178-33FE-4AC1-B364-E4D08274DD9C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gazuty on Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tuco

Trader Pat wrote:
the best way to deal with trolling and stupidity is to just ignore it, easier said than done sometimes I know but responding to it makes everyone look like an idiot.
...correct :)
Trader Pat

gazuty wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:36 pm

5B582178-33FE-4AC1-B364-E4D08274DD9C.jpeg

I'll take 2!
Tuco

gazuty wrote:
I was also attracted to the prospect of getting a special badge or status etc. (Humans are generally very status driven animals).

...none for me thanks - I never wear jewellery nor a watch and I prefer not to wear anything with any kind of label or logo, especially those silly ones with a polo player giving the wearer a deluded air of 'superiority' - no thanks, I'm King of my Kingdom and don't need any attention seeking jewellery, piercings, tattoos, labels, badges, titles, awards, commendations, t-shirts or the like - the only person I need impress is myself :lol:
napshnap

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:22 pm
Hopefully the 'like button' suggestion is implemented, it would be good if a year or two down the line you were able to see what the most liked posts were on the forum, and maybe be able to see most popular posts by month, year & all time.

I think if there is to be a thumbs up option there should also be a thumbs down option for the sake of balance.
I bet it would be post with a trading kitty picture! :mrgreen:
Last edited by napshnap on Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesg46

Trader Pat wrote:
gazuty wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:12 pm
Others may disagree and that is fine. I might be upvoted or downvoted, liked or disliked. That doesn’t necessarily bear on whether my contribution has or has not been worthwhile. Wrong answers may be as helpful as right answers to a person who thinks carefully and experiments.

I'm not sure if you've drawn a line under it or not, but it probably won't help if we continue to call people things such as idiots... true as that may be, based on previous behaviour.

This obviously provoked me enough to reply (hopefully you see it as reasonable, not shitty) why? Because obviously I understand I was behaving like an idiot but it's not something that needs to be stapled to me in every reference going forward. Sure, it could well be a personal opinion & rightly so but it hardly helps to keep things cool and trading related on the forum.
napshnap

Kai wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:45 pm
Too soon for memes lads? I think Peter/Dallas would like more feedback and for the forum to reach a rough consensus at least, on any potential upgrades etc.

And an optional title below the username could be a decent idea, where forumites could put whatever they want like fulltimer or PC payer etc. This would give credit to those that deserve it the most and those that want it, while the newbies at least get an indication as to whose advice to pay more attention to and whose rants to completely ignore? :D Sorry about the last part, couldn't resist.
I want my title to be "Gangster of love", please. 8-)
Last edited by napshnap on Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Derek27

Tuco wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:43 pm
gazuty wrote:
I was also attracted to the prospect of getting a special badge or status etc. (Humans are generally very status driven animals).

...none for me thanks - I never wear jewellery nor a watch and I prefer not to wear anything with any kind of label or logo, especially those silly ones with a polo player giving the wearer a deluded air of 'superiority' - no thanks, I'm King of my Kingdom and don't need any attention seeking jewellery, piercings, tattoos, labels, badges, titles, awards, commendations, t-shirts or the like - the only person I need impress is myself :lol:
I don't like wearing slogans or place names but eventually I got sick of wearing plain teeshirts and had no choice. :(
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
I think if there is to be a thumbs up option there should also be a thumbs down option for the sake of balance.
There should also be forumite's individual thumbs up/down percentage stats. :)
Tuco

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:06 pm
:lol: lol
Trader Pat

jamesg46 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:01 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
I'm not sure if you've drawn a line under it or not, but it probably won't help if we continue to call people things such as idiots... true as that may be, based on previous behaviour.

This obviously provoked me enough to reply (hopefully you see it as reasonable, not shitty) why? Because obviously I understand I was behaving like an idiot but it's not something that needs to be stapled to me in every reference going forward. Sure, it could well be a personal opinion & rightly so but it hardly helps to keep things cool and trading related on the forum.

Wasn't my intention to provoke you or anyone else, I was making a broader point. I'm just stating a fact, If I've said anything there that isn't true then correct me. Not everything is about you, I said handful of idiots, plural.
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:06 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Something tells me your thumbs down stats would be much higher than your thumbs up :D
jamesg46

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:24 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:01 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

Wasn't my intention to provoke you or anyone else, I was making a broader point. I'm just stating a fact, If I've said anything there that isn't true then correct me. Not everything is about you, I said handful of idiots, plural.
OK, fair enough. "True as that may be" sort of says that I wasn't intending to correct you. Was saying I don't think it's helpful if we continue to call people idiots, be it me or any of the others that were involved.

I wasn't trying to be shitty, doesn't feel like you took it well so I'll shut up & not bother.

Return to “General discussion”