Credibility

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:22 pm
I think if there is to be a thumbs up option there should also be a thumbs down option for the sake of balance.
There should also be forumite's individual thumbs up/down percentage stats. :)
Tuco

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:06 pm
:lol: lol
Trader Pat

jamesg46 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:01 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:27 pm
I still don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with the forum, yes its gone off the rails a few times of late and it seems to be happening more frequently but that's just down to handful of idiots, I don't think its reflective of the majority of forum members.
I'm not sure if you've drawn a line under it or not, but it probably won't help if we continue to call people things such as idiots... true as that may be, based on previous behaviour.

This obviously provoked me enough to reply (hopefully you see it as reasonable, not shitty) why? Because obviously I understand I was behaving like an idiot but it's not something that needs to be stapled to me in every reference going forward. Sure, it could well be a personal opinion & rightly so but it hardly helps to keep things cool and trading related on the forum.

Wasn't my intention to provoke you or anyone else, I was making a broader point. I'm just stating a fact, If I've said anything there that isn't true then correct me. Not everything is about you, I said handful of idiots, plural.
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:
I think if there is to be a thumbs up option there should also be a thumbs down option for the sake of balance.
Something tells me your thumbs down stats would be much higher than your thumbs up :D
jamesg46

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:24 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:
I still don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with the forum, yes its gone off the rails a few times of late and it seems to be happening more frequently but that's just down to handful of idiots, I don't think its reflective of the majority of forum members.
I'm not sure if you've drawn a line under it or not, but it probably won't help if we continue to call people things such as idiots... true as that may be, based on previous behaviour.

This obviously provoked me enough to reply (hopefully you see it as reasonable, not shitty) why? Because obviously I understand I was behaving like an idiot but it's not something that needs to be stapled to me in every reference going forward. Sure, it could well be a personal opinion & rightly so but it hardly helps to keep things cool and trading related on the forum.

Wasn't my intention to provoke you or anyone else, I was making a broader point. I'm just stating a fact, If I've said anything there that isn't true then correct me. Not everything is about you, I said handful of idiots, plural.
OK, fair enough. "True as that may be" sort of says that I wasn't intending to correct you. Was saying I don't think it's helpful if we continue to call people idiots, be it me or any of the others that were involved.

I wasn't trying to be shitty, doesn't feel like you took it well so I'll shut up & not bother.
ShaunWhite

Danny Asda wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:46 am
Sounds very romantic, Shaun. Like something out of a Hugh Grant movie.
:lol:
If you pick a partner based on having common interests, then what better way to celebrate the union than by engaging in them. Hols are about having some fun with your best mate anyway, so that's what we did.
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:26 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:
Something tells me your thumbs down stats would be much higher than your thumbs up :D
On the contrary. When I'm reviewing a purchase, which isn't something I do often, I feel compelled to give a review if I'm pleased or satisfied and would recommend the product but I have to be really pissed of with a product or service to give a bad review. Last year I bought a large plastic kitchen/recycle bin that is utter crap - the lid fitting's so tight you have to break it on first open. :lol: But I still never got round to reviewing it.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:
gazuty wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:12 pm
Others may disagree and that is fine. I might be upvoted or downvoted, liked or disliked. That doesn’t necessarily bear on whether my contribution has or has not been worthwhile. Wrong answers may be as helpful as right answers to a person who thinks carefully and experiments.

So do we need voting systems and badges ?

I'm starting to come around to this way of thinking since yesterday. I was never in favour of the PC gold stars approach and while I think the option to like / dislike posts is a good idea I'm not sure how it could be implimented properly without nonsense being upvoted and good advice being down voted because of its source.

Anyway Dallas and Peter have made their feelings known so that should put a stop to most of the nonsense. And the best way to deal with trolling and stupidity is to just ignore it, easier said than done sometimes I know but responding to it makes everyone look like an idiot.

I don't want to start the bickering again but I think you're being overly sensitive. The word idiot refers to people responding to trolls (me included), Pat certainly wasn't referring to you, at least that's how I read it.
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:54 pm
I don't want to start the bickering again but I think you're being overly sensitive. The word idiot refers to people responding to trolls (me included), Pat certainly wasn't referring to you, at least that's how I read it.

I was more describing a group of people rather than any individual but I wasn't describing the people responding to them, but like I said earlier we all have a part to play in keeping the forum sane and not responding to them when they're in wind up mode is probably the way to go. Easier said than done I know, I've been guilty of that too.
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:54 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:

I'm starting to come around to this way of thinking since yesterday. I was never in favour of the PC gold stars approach and while I think the option to like / dislike posts is a good idea I'm not sure how it could be implimented properly without nonsense being upvoted and good advice being down voted because of its source.

Anyway Dallas and Peter have made their feelings known so that should put a stop to most of the nonsense. And the best way to deal with trolling and stupidity is to just ignore it, easier said than done sometimes I know but responding to it makes everyone look like an idiot.

I'm not sensitive about it, I actually recognise it myself. "Because obviously I understand I was behaving like an idiot". That is me putting myself into Pats comment, not Pat directly referring to me.

The people involved were usually the same each time & considering Pat made reference to the recent off the rail events and that being down to a handful of idiots, says to me that he's referring to those usual people. My point is, if we have drawn a line and are moving forward what good will it do to call them idiots, true as it may be. It doesn't help, because here we are.

It wasn't a dig at Pat, what he said is very true... I just don't see the point or how it helps. We can all carry on passing judgement or we can draw the line, it's that simple. We don't need any fancy bells, just a conversation that can be discussed without the perception that this idiot is trying to attack you... may take some time.
jimibt

i go along with Euler's suggestion to monitor by discretion and simply hive such threads off to a secondary Topic ("Bickering" or whatever). then, one could choose to filter out (or in) any forum topics that met their requirement.

In short, i find of late that i'm happiliy motoring along and getting the rhythm of the thread when all of a sudden -boof, we're off the rails again. having a dedicated place to do that would allow the majority of readers to indulge or ignore as required and some sort of harmony/choice [key] would be restored.
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:13 pm
LeTiss brought up the knotty issue of assessing the creditability of advice again but it got lost in that thread. PC is one way but even a lucky newbie can pay that until the wheels fall off, and I don't pay PC even though this pays my bills, so....

What's missing that other trades have ? an Association/Federation/Institute of Master Sports Traders.
£20 quid a year, you sent in your PL, you get a certificate and a sticker for your van :) The big guys can apply for a gold certificate ...but that's £40.

I might do it, I reckon I could get 10 members and that's enough for a christmas dinner & drinks.
Thought it was worth returning to the OP. Otherwise distant thunder may develop into a full-blown row.
jimibt

greenmark wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:55 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:13 pm
LeTiss brought up the knotty issue of assessing the creditability of advice again but it got lost in that thread. PC is one way but even a lucky newbie can pay that until the wheels fall off, and I don't pay PC even though this pays my bills, so....

What's missing that other trades have ? an Association/Federation/Institute of Master Sports Traders.
£20 quid a year, you sent in your PL, you get a certificate and a sticker for your van :) The big guys can apply for a gold certificate ...but that's £40.

I might do it, I reckon I could get 10 members and that's enough for a christmas dinner & drinks.
Thought it was worth returning to the OP. Otherwise distant thunder may develop into a full-blown row.
agreed and put far better than my effort above ;)
Euler

Certainly I think it would be nice to have a hard rule that there is no cocking about in the newbie area. Anything considered off topic can be moderated.

They need all the help they can get without any interference. So only fair, that it's a gentle introduction to forum life.
jamesg46

I'm 100% on board with that. From time to time it's going to be inevitable that people will disagree or fall out but spilling over into a newbie thread should be a huge no. Afterall, they don't know anyone person from the next & didn't come here to be used as a point to score & certainly it gives a stinking perception of the forum in general.

Return to “General discussion”