Credibility

A place to discuss anything.
jimibt

i go along with Euler's suggestion to monitor by discretion and simply hive such threads off to a secondary Topic ("Bickering" or whatever). then, one could choose to filter out (or in) any forum topics that met their requirement.

In short, i find of late that i'm happiliy motoring along and getting the rhythm of the thread when all of a sudden -boof, we're off the rails again. having a dedicated place to do that would allow the majority of readers to indulge or ignore as required and some sort of harmony/choice [key] would be restored.
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:13 pm
LeTiss brought up the knotty issue of assessing the creditability of advice again but it got lost in that thread. PC is one way but even a lucky newbie can pay that until the wheels fall off, and I don't pay PC even though this pays my bills, so....

What's missing that other trades have ? an Association/Federation/Institute of Master Sports Traders.
£20 quid a year, you sent in your PL, you get a certificate and a sticker for your van :) The big guys can apply for a gold certificate ...but that's £40.

I might do it, I reckon I could get 10 members and that's enough for a christmas dinner & drinks.
Thought it was worth returning to the OP. Otherwise distant thunder may develop into a full-blown row.
jimibt

greenmark wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:55 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:13 pm
LeTiss brought up the knotty issue of assessing the creditability of advice again but it got lost in that thread. PC is one way but even a lucky newbie can pay that until the wheels fall off, and I don't pay PC even though this pays my bills, so....

What's missing that other trades have ? an Association/Federation/Institute of Master Sports Traders.
£20 quid a year, you sent in your PL, you get a certificate and a sticker for your van :) The big guys can apply for a gold certificate ...but that's £40.

I might do it, I reckon I could get 10 members and that's enough for a christmas dinner & drinks.
Thought it was worth returning to the OP. Otherwise distant thunder may develop into a full-blown row.
agreed and put far better than my effort above ;)
Euler

Certainly I think it would be nice to have a hard rule that there is no cocking about in the newbie area. Anything considered off topic can be moderated.

They need all the help they can get without any interference. So only fair, that it's a gentle introduction to forum life.
jamesg46

I'm 100% on board with that. From time to time it's going to be inevitable that people will disagree or fall out but spilling over into a newbie thread should be a huge no. Afterall, they don't know anyone person from the next & didn't come here to be used as a point to score & certainly it gives a stinking perception of the forum in general.
alexmr2

jimibt wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:40 pm
i go along with Euler's suggestion to monitor by discretion and simply hive such threads off to a secondary Topic ("Bickering" or whatever). then, one could choose to filter out (or in) any forum topics that met their requirement.

In short, i find of late that i'm happiliy motoring along and getting the rhythm of the thread when all of a sudden -boof, we're off the rails again. having a dedicated place to do that would allow the majority of readers to indulge or ignore as required and some sort of harmony/choice [key] would be restored.
I feel like it a lot of the bickering stemmed from the coronavirus thread which is a divisive topic better avoided in normal conversation (like politics, religion or convincing someone that trading isn't gambling). The problem is that cognitive dissonance kicks in from both sides and people get emotionally driven, which results in some people getting personal and attacking each other rather than having a rational debate.

I put forward my skeptic views on the pandemic and was quickly labelled a conspiracy theorist nutcase for questioning the government and BBC. A lot of the time I would respond with some light-hearted and overexagurated nonsense about Bill Gates to calm the tone but not everyone shares the same sense of humour so some people were getting triggered. I even gather from this thread that people are still passively aggressively calling me an idiot for putting my opinions across.

It's a shame that it's not feasible to have a sensible debate about the big issues in the world right now but at the same time there's a fine line between having some light-hearted banter vs going wildly off-topic where every post is nonsense or pointless arguments.

It's not the end of the world if we just tip the balance back to some more rationality. On the upside I hope that the off-topic discussion has at least contributed something to the algorithms which push more traffic to BA
jimibt

jamesg46 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:09 pm
I'm 100% on board with that. From time to time it's going to be inevitable that people will disagree or fall out but spilling over into a newbie thread should be a huge no. Afterall, they don't know anyone person from the next & didn't come here to be used as a point to score & certainly it gives a stinking perception of the forum in general.
+1 james well put and i think that underscores exactly how we should all view these topics - i.e. be aware that a thread posted as a newbie topic should be welcoming, not an alarm for them to run.
jamesg46

jimibt wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:20 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
+1 james well put and i think that underscores exactly how we should all view these topics - i.e. be aware that a thread posted as a newbie topic should be welcoming, not an alarm for them to run.
Be sure to leave your Dad jokes out of those threads too :P
jimibt

jamesg46 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:22 pm
jimibt wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:20 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Be sure to leave your Dad jokes out of those threads too :P
where to start.... :mrgreen:
footysystems

Just read this thread sound like a gaggle of old women :lol:
Trader Pat

jamesg46 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:26 pm
I'm not sensitive about it, I actually recognise it myself. "Because obviously I understand I was behaving like an idiot". That is me putting myself into Pats comment, not Pat directly referring to me.

The people involved were usually the same each time & considering Pat made reference to the recent off the rail events and that being down to a handful of idiots, says to me that he's referring to those usual people. My point is, if we have drawn a line and are moving forward what good will it do to call them idiots, true as it may be. It doesn't help, because here we are.

It wasn't a dig at Pat, what he said is very true... I just don't see the point or how it helps. We can all carry on passing judgement or we can draw the line, it's that simple. We don't need any fancy bells, just a conversation that can be discussed without the perception that this idiot is trying to attack you... may take some time.

I really can't believe another thread has ended up here.

James I would completely understand where you're coming from if I called you out by name but I didn't. You describe yourself as an idiot but then have an issue when I reference a group of idiots. :?

I think I should underline where I stand on this issue so there can be no confusion. If I was referring to you or anyone else specifically I'd use your name. I'm not trying to provoke you because I have no interest in engaging with you or your BS at all. You did your best to wind certain people up then you apologised for it, then you found other people to wind up and again you apologised, see a pattern here? At some point in the future you'll do it again and I don't want any part of it. A few weeks back I tried unsuccessfully to ignore you and I got sucked back in, and I'm ashamed to even say that because it sounds so childish. Like most other people here I have better things to do with my time than to argue with an avatar on a forum.

The forum is a brilliant resource whether your a newbie or a veteran and I don't want to play any part in hijacking or derailing threads.

I didn't want to say any of this but I feel its necessary to avoid any more misunderstandings.
Kai

Is this my confirmation bias talking or are these 2 an actual old married couple
footysystems

@Kai :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Trader Pat

Kai wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:57 pm
Is this my confirmation bias talking or are these 2 an actual old married couple
When you include Derek its more like a menage a trois but I've just filed for divorce
The Silk Run

I think my Barbie dolls have more credibility, at least I have authentification certificates. What happened to the Pc2, I'm confused !!!

Return to “General discussion”