Credibility

A place to discuss anything.
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:00 am
jamesg46 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:20 pm
I know what I've done and said in the past, the point is, lets draw a line under it and move on. How is that possible if we are still going to refer to people as idiots.
It's perfectly possible. The word idiot is a very very mildly offensive word - I was called far worse when I was five years old without getting upset. How is it possible to move on if such a minor comment causes you to respond?

I'm sorry James, but after what you posted on the locked thread, including calling a recently deceased man "a piece of shit"; apologising, pretending it never happened and now lecturing the rest of the forum on how they should behave is not the way forward. If you hadn't taken issue with Pat's comment which seemed harmless enough to me, Pat wouldn't have responded, I wouldn't have responded, Kai wouldn't be posting memes and perhaps it would all have been forgotten. I'm afraid you're the one who won't let it die!
Fair enough, two wrongs make a right.

I get it, I can't speak on a subject because of things I've previously said. No worries, see no credible certificate needed :D
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:18 am
Derek27 wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:20 pm
I know what I've done and said in the past, the point is, lets draw a line under it and move on. How is that possible if we are still going to refer to people as idiots.
It's perfectly possible. The word idiot is a very very mildly offensive word - I was called far worse when I was five years old without getting upset. How is it possible to move on if such a minor comment causes you to respond?

I'm sorry James, but after what you posted on the locked thread, including calling a recently deceased man "a piece of shit"; apologising, pretending it never happened and now lecturing the rest of the forum on how they should behave is not the way forward. If you hadn't taken issue with Pat's comment which seemed harmless enough to me, Pat wouldn't have responded, I wouldn't have responded, Kai wouldn't be posting memes and perhaps it would all have been forgotten. I'm afraid you're the one who won't let it die!

I get it, I can't speak on a subject because of things I've previously said. No worries, see no credible certificate needed :D
This will be my last response on the issue (unless you specifically request one) as we're clearly getting nowhere.

If a man lets his wife down by being 15 minutes late, after she's let off a bit of steam, he can expect the matter to be forgotten. If it's not, two days later he can tell her to draw a line under it, that's fair enough.

On the other hand, if he's caught shagging her sister, that's a different matter. He's lucky if he's forgiven at all. He may well be, but he shouldn't take it for granted or be saying, "draw a line and move on".

What I'm saying is, in a nutshell, after some of your comments the other week, your indifference when people got upset and called for you to be banned from the forum, and your meaningless apology given that it's happened before, you're not in a position to tell people to draw a line. Let forumites decide.

I'm actually anti-monarchy and wasn't personally offended by your comments but was still astounded by how little you cared when others were getting angry over what was obviously a sensitive matter.

It would have been sensible, in my opinion, to have laid low for a few days and let the dust settle. I appreciate you were just trying to help a newbie and Black Ladder quickly stuck the boot in, but it was predictable that somebody might do that, and you were quick to argue back as though you've forgiven yourself, or think an apology means automatic forgiveness.

My advice to you is to carefully read the Duke of Edingburgh thread again, stop and think after every post. Get a feel for what the poster is thinking. The problem with simply apologising, forgetting all about it and moving on is that it happens all over again because you've forgotten all about it. I should know because that's exactly what a former girlfriend of mine did for a year. ;)
Derek27

alexmr2 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:18 pm
I put forward my skeptic views on the pandemic and was quickly labelled a conspiracy theorist nutcase for questioning the government and BBC. A lot of the time I would respond with some light-hearted and overexagurated nonsense about Bill Gates to calm the tone but not everyone shares the same sense of humour...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You're dead right there!

Do all the others that believe in the Bill Gates vaccine share your sense of humour or are they nutjobs?
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:36 am
jamesg46 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:18 am
Derek27 wrote:

This will be my last response on the issue (unless you specifically request one) as we're clearly getting nowhere.

If a man lets his wife down by being 15 minutes late, after she's let off a bit of steam, he can expect the matter to be forgotten. If it's not, two days later he can tell her to draw a line under it, that's fair enough.

On the other hand, if he's caught shagging her sister, that's a different matter. He's lucky if he's forgiven at all. He may well be, but he shouldn't take it for granted or be saying, "draw a line and move on".

What I'm saying is, in a nutshell, after some of your comments the other week, your indifference when people got upset and called for you to be banned from the forum, and your meaningless apology given that it's happened before, you're not in a position to tell people to draw a line. Let forumites decide.

I'm actually anti-monarchy and wasn't personally offended by your comments but was still astounded by how little you cared when others were getting angry over what was obviously a sensitive matter.

It would have been sensible, in my opinion, to have laid low for a few days and let the dust settle. I appreciate you were just trying to help a newbie and Black Ladder quickly stuck the boot in, but it was predictable that somebody might do that, and you were quick to argue back as though you've forgiven yourself, or think an apology means automatic forgiveness.

My advice to you is to carefully read the Duke of Edingburgh thread again, stop and think after every post. Get a feel for what the poster is thinking. The problem with simply apologising, forgetting all about it and moving on is that it happens all over again because you've forgotten all about it. I should know because that's exactly what a former girlfriend of mine did for a year. ;)
Just to point out, I'm only echoing the draw a line sentence.

Thanks for your advice, I'm all over it. Scouts honour.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:52 am
Just to point out, I'm only echoing the draw a line sentence.
When you 'echo' a sentence, you're making a statement yourself, or endorsing it, unless you clearly state that you're just quoting the person who made it.
Euler

Let's continue to use this thread to discuss how we move forward. Some good ideas on here so far.
jimibt

Euler wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:50 am
Let's continue to use this thread to discuss how we move forward. Some good ideas on here so far.
yes, let's keep it self contained in one spot. i'm getting slightly perturbed to find that pretty much any thread that alex, james or derek make a post in, suddenly gets turned into a tit for tat mud slingfest. a typical example being a thread this morning (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7665&start=660) where alex innocently posted a useful comment, only to be pursued by derek making snide remarks that were completely out of context.

honestly, almost had enough tbh. said it several times over the past month, but the place has gone... just gone!!
Kai

Been trying to point out how ridiculous and silly it all is (since last year? :D), hoping the relevant parties realize this sooner rather than later.

I mean, if it were an epic battle of wits with legendary put-downs and whatnot then maybe people would find it somewhat interesting and it would reach its conclusion much faster, but sorry to say that it's been very much the opposite and a very tiring slog instead.

At this point I feel it's better and more cathartic to laugh it off and just move on, than to be depressingly sad about it. And there's nothing more cathartic than laughing at your own self, I know this from experience 👍

The Silk Run

Personally, and not wishing to sound dramatic, I found James comments about the passing of HRH Prince Philip the Duke of EDINBURGH offensive, and upsetting. I was surprised Peter WEBB allowed that content on his platform.
That was a Red Line in my opinion, therefore he should be BANNED.
Euler

I never actually delved into that thread as I didn't really have any opinions on the event in either direction. That's half the problem with busy forums is that it's impossible to read all content so I only get to hear about stuff when it gets flagged. So when that thread seemed to get out of control the mods locked it.

There isn't really any excuse for bickering here really. Trading is hard enough as it is and the aim of the forum is for people who trade in isolation to come together to discuss relevant topics not score points on each other.

I'll be taking on board various points and looking to use them going forward.

Ultimately the best way to return to normality short term, is to just start chatting about trading properly again and we will take a harder line on non trading discussion and disputes.
rik

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:13 pm
LeTiss brought up the knotty issue of assessing the creditability of advice again but it got lost in that thread. PC is one way but even a lucky newbie can pay that until the wheels fall off, and I don't pay PC even though this pays my bills, so....
Come on there will be almost no beginners caught in premium charge, even more so the higher rate one.
Most likely scenario would be staking big and running good on a limited amount of bets or successfully chasing losses for a while.
I guess in general it would be interesting to know when you read an opinion of someone if they have some "credibility", but do you want to start verifying pc statements? Would be interesting if you could look up peoples scores as in Poker.

Some people like Peter or even you its clear they are professionals, but does it mean I should accept everything they say as the best way to see things? Should always be critical of anything you read anyway and half the point for me of following forums/social media is to stay in the loop of what are people thinking/talking about rather than specific advice.
Kai

rik wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:18 am
Should always be critical of anything you read anyway and half the point for me of following forums/social media is to stay in the loop of what are people thinking/talking about rather than specific advice.
I reckon most people and lurkers do exactly that, just keep tabs on things while doing their own thing, to avoid going full hermit.
goat68

Kai wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:23 am
rik wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:18 am
Should always be critical of anything you read anyway and half the point for me of following forums/social media is to stay in the loop of what are people thinking/talking about rather than specific advice.
I reckon most people and lurkers do exactly that, just keep tabs on things while doing their own thing, to avoid going full hermit.
I've had a lot of advice in my thread from loads of people, but I don't take everything as a must follow/do, I evaluate if it's relevant to me, or whether I personally think differently. Some advice is contradicting as well, so I just read it and think about what each person is stating... then evaluate what I personally think I can take from the comments...
gazuty

Euler wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:50 am
I’m still thinking but again I do think there is some merit to moving off topic bickering as and when it arises over the Fight Club thread ... viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23469

It can literally be a space for such activities and everyone else can read or ignore or get involved as they wish. I think it recognises bickering can and will arise and creates a space for it away from derailing other threads. Of course there is nuance in what is dispute within the topic and what is taking things off topic and what is helpful and what is destructive. There will always be an eye of the beholder judgement.

In any case food for thought.
xtrader16

Crazy looking thread this one. Lets us concentrate on trading the ladders and improving our skills. I will throw another shout out for a Slack Room run by volunteers from the forum or BA staffers. So when these debates get personal they are not logged in the forum and they are dispatched after a few days as the Slack Rooms progress.

Slack for chat. Forum for knowledge. One month trial would be great.

Return to “General discussion”