Credibility

A place to discuss anything.
rik

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:13 pm
LeTiss brought up the knotty issue of assessing the creditability of advice again but it got lost in that thread. PC is one way but even a lucky newbie can pay that until the wheels fall off, and I don't pay PC even though this pays my bills, so....
Come on there will be almost no beginners caught in premium charge, even more so the higher rate one.
Most likely scenario would be staking big and running good on a limited amount of bets or successfully chasing losses for a while.
I guess in general it would be interesting to know when you read an opinion of someone if they have some "credibility", but do you want to start verifying pc statements? Would be interesting if you could look up peoples scores as in Poker.

Some people like Peter or even you its clear they are professionals, but does it mean I should accept everything they say as the best way to see things? Should always be critical of anything you read anyway and half the point for me of following forums/social media is to stay in the loop of what are people thinking/talking about rather than specific advice.
Kai

rik wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:18 am
Should always be critical of anything you read anyway and half the point for me of following forums/social media is to stay in the loop of what are people thinking/talking about rather than specific advice.
I reckon most people and lurkers do exactly that, just keep tabs on things while doing their own thing, to avoid going full hermit.
goat68

Kai wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:23 am
rik wrote:
Should always be critical of anything you read anyway and half the point for me of following forums/social media is to stay in the loop of what are people thinking/talking about rather than specific advice.
I reckon most people and lurkers do exactly that, just keep tabs on things while doing their own thing, to avoid going full hermit.
I've had a lot of advice in my thread from loads of people, but I don't take everything as a must follow/do, I evaluate if it's relevant to me, or whether I personally think differently. Some advice is contradicting as well, so I just read it and think about what each person is stating... then evaluate what I personally think I can take from the comments...
gazuty

Euler wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:50 am
Let's continue to use this thread to discuss how we move forward. Some good ideas on here so far.
I’m still thinking but again I do think there is some merit to moving off topic bickering as and when it arises over the Fight Club thread ... viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23469

It can literally be a space for such activities and everyone else can read or ignore or get involved as they wish. I think it recognises bickering can and will arise and creates a space for it away from derailing other threads. Of course there is nuance in what is dispute within the topic and what is taking things off topic and what is helpful and what is destructive. There will always be an eye of the beholder judgement.

In any case food for thought.
xtrader16

Crazy looking thread this one. Lets us concentrate on trading the ladders and improving our skills. I will throw another shout out for a Slack Room run by volunteers from the forum or BA staffers. So when these debates get personal they are not logged in the forum and they are dispatched after a few days as the Slack Rooms progress.

Slack for chat. Forum for knowledge. One month trial would be great.
Kai

goat68 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:30 am
Kai wrote:
rik wrote:
I've had a lot of advice in my thread from loads of people, but I don't take everything as a must follow/do, I evaluate if it's relevant to me, or whether I personally think differently. Some advice is contradicting as well, so I just read it and think about what each person is stating... then evaluate what I personally think I can take from the comments...
I wouldn't say contradicting Mr Goat, not at all. It's more along the lines of, there are more ways to trade profitably, even contradicting ways. A good trader can make many approaches work, but some would obviously be more efficient than others.

If a newbie gets contradicting advice and doesn't know which of the two to trust, I suggest there is a 3rd possibility, that both are technically right.
goat68

Kai wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:39 am
goat68 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:30 am
Kai wrote:

I wouldn't say contradicting Mr Goat, not at all. It's more along the lines of, there are more ways to trade profitably, even contradicting ways. A good trader can make many approaches work, but some would obviously be more efficient than others.

If a newbie gets contradicting advice and doesn't know which of the two to trust, I suggest there is a 3rd possibility, that both are technically right.
Yeah, I should say "appear contradicting to my naive trading experience" !
Euler

The message I'm getting is the mods should be more proactive in killing threads or contributions that are being disruptive, especially if they are off-topic. So we note that and will look to be more proactive. We won't get it right every time and it may annoy some people that feel they are making a point, but it seems to be a better than trashing perfectly good threads.

We will also shuffle some of the content around on the forum to create specific areas for newbies. We will heavily moderate these areas to keep them on topic and to provide a higher quality experience for people who are new to the forum and trading.

We have experimented with up and down voting, but it's tricky as we have a legacy forum. But we will revisit this with some short term experiments and longer term look to change the underlying forum platform to improve this sort of thing. We will have a broader look at other stuff as well, as suggested.
jimibt

Euler wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:33 pm
The message I'm getting is the mods should be more proactive in killing threads or contributions that are being disruptive, especially if they are off-topic. So we note that and will look to be more proactive. We won't get it right every time and it may annoy some people that feel they are making a point, but it seems to be a better than trashing perfectly good threads.

We will also shuffle some of the content around on the forum to create specific areas for newbies. We will heavily moderate these areas to keep them on topic and to provide a higher quality experience for people who are new to the forum and trading.

We have experimented with up and down voting, but it's tricky as we have a legacy forum. But we will revisit this with some sort term experiments and longer term look to change the underlying forum platform to improve this sort of thing. We will have a broader look at other stuff as well, as suggested.
thanks -and just a shame that the screws get tightened for the better of all due to the repeated actions of a few...
arbitrage16

If each post a user makes can be 'thanked' in some way, then that score can be a part of their profile and displayed under their avatar so people understand if they are/aren't legit based on their previous forum offerings.
Kai

I'll briefly touch on the relevant topics that come to mind and would encourage others to speak their mind as well.

Overall I think people want the mods to encourage positivity and crack down on the negativity, simple as that, keep the good stuff and cut the bad stuff, maybe throw in a few forum upgrades/buttons if feasible to promote growth and keep things from going stale.

It does make perfect sense, on a forum where many have positive P&L's and positive mindsets and outlooks overall etc, allowing so much negativity to fester and spread makes little sense, so nipping the negative stuff in the bud and cutting toxic threads and spats short would seem the most sensible and logical thing to do, just like on the ladder with trading.

So I'm glad the forum will cater to newbies more now, which was my main criticism, derailing their help/advice threads should be frowned upon, even though most of us have probably done it at some point. Should be fine to give them a warm welcome and throw in a casual joke with the advice but at that stage they prefer advice over banter and they certainly don't have all the tools yet to detect obvious sarcasm like an experienced trader would, it can needlessly confuse and mislead them.

I feel it's vitally important to provide newbies with a safe enough environment to learn, the support system is already in place for this so logic would dictate we give them some space to grow as well, a newbie today can be a fulltimer and a contributer tomorrow etc. Without fresh intake of contributors the community will eventually perish, that's not so much an opinion as it is biology.

I have no real issues on the topic of credibility, I rely on common sense and experience and base my opinions of others on merit, I think most of us already know roughly where others are in their trading journey and enough was shared anyway along the way, beyond that I'm not too interested to be honest. I only like to compare to a very small number of traders out there that share my trading style and markets, so I still consider myself as a relative beginner in that sense, even though at the time of my first forum post I was already regularly paying PC. It's not really humility either, it's just how my philosophy works, which I already talked about at length many times in the past.

Credit is not something I would be after at this point either, if ever, probably wouldn't get much anyway, not even top guys get as much as they should, but certainly don't mind if others want more credit. My trading is fine, it's the other aspects of my life that I should be focusing on more if I'm being honest, so if I go AWOL that would be the reason :) However, I understand newbies have issues with credibility when browsing the net and finding random crap, but I encourage them to trust the people on here, we're all savvy enough to know that your average trader will usually try to appear greater than he is as that's basic psychology, I always assume everything on here is true by default, and I trust my ability to tell the difference if needed and don't really care anyway, so if someone is going to great effort to deceive for whatever (non-profit) purpose then the only person they're lying to is themselves, and in that case I wouldn't even be mad, I'd just pity them.

I also think moving to another platform would only lose members in the process, and splitting the userbase probably wouldn't be sensible either. Don't know how the forum was pre-2015 but LeTiss commented there used to be a lot more humor overall back in the day, and I would agree that there should be room for light-hearted banter and offtopic stuff, as obviously not everyone wants/needs advice or wants to discuss (their) trading etc.
jimibt

it certainly has been a bit quieter in here today... certainly not a bad thing and maybe a few lessons learned all round (myself included).
Tuco

"good judgment comes from experience ~ experience comes from poor judgment"
jimibt

i can't recall the platform, but there was a forum that i frequented a few years back that had a timeout facility which was activated by the moderators (or maybe by concensus button -can't rmbr the detail). anyway, the gist of this was that you were timed out for 4-6 hours after any altercations. i guess the premise behind this was that the individual would have calmed down/sobbered up by the time their access was open again.

anyway, i'm sure as Tuco alludes to, "~ experience comes from poor judgment", so prolly not a required function here. ;)
Trader Pat

Looking back at this and other threads I'm actually embarrassed for myself for getting sucked into childish arguments again and again :oops: Especially because its not who I am in real life, If I was having a conversation that I felt was going south I'd change the subject or if it was really going south I'd get out of dodge! And If I felt somebody was trying to wind me up I'd just walk away so no idea why I felt the need to get involved on here.

Whatever measures are put in place on the forum its ultimately down to the individual how they behave but I don't think any major changes are needed.

Return to “General discussion”