Your first trading success!

A place to discuss anything.
footysystems

Derek27 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:38 pm
footysystems wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:02 am
I spent the 1980 and 90s backing horse was so much easier before the internet.
Turned to trading football 2004 thinking it would be easier how wrong was I ?
These days I trade the goals markets inplay using inplay data still a long slog and getting harder the older I am getting cannot think as fast lol
In the 1980s with just a handful of bookies, big overrounds and 10% tax, looking back I would say it was near enough impossible to win, although at the time I just convinced myself otherwise. Now, with over 50 online bookies competing, very tight overrounds it's never been better for small punters to get value, that is, until they stop taking your bets!
In the 1980s I knocked about with a chap called Paul Sweeny he had his own ratings for 2yo and chasers in the winter we cleared up. He was a smart guy on the northern tracks.
footysystems

footysystems wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:43 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:38 pm
footysystems wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:02 am
I spent the 1980 and 90s backing horse was so much easier before the internet.
Turned to trading football 2004 thinking it would be easier how wrong was I ?
These days I trade the goals markets inplay using inplay data still a long slog and getting harder the older I am getting cannot think as fast lol
In the 1980s with just a handful of bookies, big overrounds and 10% tax, looking back I would say it was near enough impossible to win, although at the time I just convinced myself otherwise. Now, with over 50 online bookies competing, very tight overrounds it's never been better for small punters to get value, that is, until they stop taking your bets!
In the 1980s I knocked about with a chap called Paul Sweeny he had his own ratings for 2yo and chasers in the winter we cleared up. He was a smart guy on the northern tracks.
Never ever even give the 10% tax a thought. Was easier because you had to put the leg work in reading superform and the weekender were essentially the best tools of the day. I still have my superform books in the loft. These days with the internet everyone knows detail at the click of a mouse so the prices are poor.
BFDon

I had some success trading frame betting for snooker back in the analogue TV days with live pics prior to this but my first memorable breakthrough was when I was trying to build a model to rank tennis players. One evening back in 2006 I realised that by clicking the scoreboard it would refresh the scores rather than having to wait for the automated refresh that would happen at set intervals. I'd get my bet ready then constantly click on the scoreboard and if the point went my way submit the bet, hoovering the good odds. I won about £200 with little effort. Markets have come a long way since, if only I had the knowledge and software I do now back then.
darchas

Great idea for a thread.

One thing for me was religiously tracking my results. Trading and otherwise.

This was me a couple of years ago, trading football. Logging everything really helped me realise where my problems where, and led me to zero in on the strategies that were adding value and the trades that were not (most often the emotionally driven, over staking ones!). Seeing it all set down in black and white was a real lightbulb moment for me and really gave an insight into how I was approaching trading. From this point I really learned the value of patience, how those small and safe trades build up over time, and how much a rush of blood can set you back. This led to a massive shift in my trading. Also the advice I got on this forum around the same time really combined with a whole shift in approach to just be much more professional in general and to treat the thing properly.
darchas

Sorry, to answer the second question. One thing I'd say to myself early doors is to log everything, every punt, every trade and bet. What I also started to do is to write up a rationale for every single trade. It was a pain at times, especially when I'd just decided to let a trade run cos 'course they'll score', once I had to put that down in writing it really helped me cut out that destructive behaviour. So I'd say to do that much earlier in my trading life.

Return to “General discussion”