Life expectancy of a Trader

A place to discuss anything.

At what age do you expect to be still betting/trading on an exchange ?

Over 80
31%
Over 75
6%
Over 70
38%
Over 65
6%
Over 60
19%

Total votes: 32
sniffer66

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:02 am
sniffer66 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:57 am
55 and just retired. Hope to be doing this still at 80. As well as being a hobby I'm really interested in, it's a way to keep my IT skills honed and hopefully ward off any chance of dementia. There's an old quote that staes the brain is like a muscle, don't use it and it will atrophy like any other muscle.

I also dance regularly, gym and juggle so I'm hedging my bets (pun intended) :)
Maybe juggling your bets? :)
It's a quick step to weight until I've juggled my bets ;)
Black Ice

sniffer66 wrote: ↑
55 and just retired. Hope to be doing this still at 80. As well as being a hobby I'm really interested in, it's a way to keep my IT skills honed and hopefully ward off any chance of dementia. There's an old quote that staes the brain is like a muscle, don't use it and it will atrophy like any other muscle.

Definitely agree with this! It undoubtedly keeps the brain muscles active...making constant decisions...though I'm now into in play. I'm 78 with start of Parkinsons...physically failing...well from skiing etc...but brain still sharp....or as sharp as ever was (not very!!)...but defo credit BA with keeping me going....a new challenge to tackle every single day....& something to look forward to.
sniffer66

Black Ice wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:45 am
sniffer66 wrote: ↑

Definitely agree with this! It undoubtedly keeps the brain muscles active...making constant decisions...though I'm now into in play. I'm 78 with start of Parkinsons...physically failing...well from skiing etc...but brain still sharp....or as sharp as ever was (not very!!)...but defo credit BA with keeping me going....a new challenge to tackle every single day....& something to look forward to.
Curious if you've tried CBD, smoking weed etc with the Parkinsons ? Seen and heard some good things re the effects
gstar1975

Euler wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:05 am
I read a book called, the hugely exciting, "Algorithms to live by".

It more or less said that if something has been going for 20 years they you should assume you are probably in the middle of it's life. It's unrealistic to expect to catch the very start or end.

It offered various mathematical proofs but pointed to the distribution to truly understand expected life.
Horse Racing has been going for Donkeys years :D
gstar1975

Euler wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:23 am
LeTiss wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:09 am
Blimey, Peter.....is there any aspect of your life you don't have algorithms for, or statistical analysis?

I imagine you even store data and charts for when you and Mrs W have intimate moments :lol: :lol:
Standard deviation for that is getting a bit wider as I age.
I knew it! Girth is better than long..evity.
trad1ngbull

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:37 am
If I'm still trading at over 60, I'll be delighfully surprised!!
I have serious concerns about the Exchanges long-term
Can elaborate on your concerns, LeTiss?

Best
gazuty

Euler wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:05 am
I read a book called, the hugely exciting, "Algorithms to live by".

It more or less said that if something has been going for 20 years they you should assume you are probably in the middle of it's life. It's unrealistic to expect to catch the very start or end.

It offered various mathematical proofs but pointed to the distribution to truly understand expected life.
Reminds me of this -https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2019/ ... chard-gott.

Return to “General discussion”