Life expectancy of a Trader

A place to discuss anything.

At what age do you expect to be still betting/trading on an exchange ?

Over 80
31%
Over 75
6%
Over 70
38%
Over 65
6%
Over 60
19%

Total votes: 32
megarain

At what age, do u think you will still be trading ?

It may be a trifle complex, as a 25 yr old now, will probably see a v different betting landscape at 70, than someone middle-aged now.

Trading needs to be at least 25% manual.
LeTiss

I went self-employed in 2008 at 38, I'm now 51

If I'm still trading at over 60, I'll be delighfully surprised!!
I have serious concerns about the Exchanges long-term
rik

Im in my early 30s Id be surprised if I was still actively trading sports at 60, might just be for legal changes or markets becoming too competitive or me just not enjoying it anymore etc.
Maybe there should be an option <60.
sniffer66

55 and just retired. Hope to be doing this still at 80. As well as being a hobby I'm really interested in, it's a way to keep my IT skills honed and hopefully ward off any chance of dementia. There's an old quote that staes the brain is like a muscle, don't use it and it will atrophy like any other muscle.

I also dance regularly, gym and juggle so I'm hedging my bets (pun intended) :)
Euler

I read a book called, the hugely exciting, "Algorithms to live by".

It more or less said that if something has been going for 20 years they you should assume you are probably in the middle of it's life. It's unrealistic to expect to catch the very start or end.

It offered various mathematical proofs but pointed to the distribution to truly understand expected life.
LeTiss

Blimey, Peter.....is there any aspect of your life you don't have algorithms for, or statistical analysis?

I imagine you even store data and charts for when you and Mrs W have intimate moments :lol: :lol:
bennyboy351

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:09 am
Blimey, Peter.....is there any aspect of your life you don't have algorithms for, or statistical analysis?

I imagine you even store data and charts for when you and Mrs W have intimate moments :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Euler

LeTiss wrote:

Standard deviation for that is getting a bit wider as I age.
LeTiss

:lol: Respect
wearthefoxhat

Easily aim for 80+, as long as I don't fall apart by then.

By then I expect micro chip tech to be directly input/linked to the cerebral cortex. :idea:
sniffer66

LeTiss wrote:

A smart watch/Fitbit makes for interesting reading after a...err...session. If it lasts long enough for a meaningful data sample ;)
alexmr2

I think all the pro traders should retire now to enjoy life and give some of us millenials an easier slice of the pie whilst passing on your strategies :)

I started just before my 26th birthday and it's almost my 29th. Still not profitable and struggling despite putting in a good couple of thousand hours+ effort. I do worry that I've missed the boat and my journey never comes to anything but here's hoping the opportunities are always around and I find something eventually.

If I was profitable I would be happy to spend most of my days on it but making sure to take time off when the opportunity arises. I think one of the worst things in life must be for a workaholic to look back once it's too late, regret missing out and the realisation that money isn't that important/correlated with happiness.

It's a bit like deciding what age to start spending your investments, do you take the money to enjoy life before you get too old or do you hold on for another 10 years to retire more comfortably?

There is definitely a balance to be managed which trading allows more control over than most other jobs, but I also understand there's a constant need to make hay while the sun shines in case one day it stops. Not everyone has something else to fall back on and people like Derek need a lot of money to pay for their new Range Rovers, holidays to the Saez Canal and country club memberships :lol:
Derek27

When I saw the title I thought the question was when will we die!

No guarantee I'll make it till 80 but as long as I've still got my marbles and am enjoying it I'll be trading. Can't imagine what else I'd do with my time. :)
decomez6

i hope to find the fundamental truths to life and the meaning attached to it .
trading and betting has a hidden mathematical pattern that keeps me going back for more ,which is why i am fascinated by the number- 0- shape , meaning and its contribution to mathematics .( i am not a great number cruncher ,just fascinated by patterns)
i guess trading for me is just a side effect and i thoroughly enjoy the idea of coming up with a new trading idea that is so harmoniously flawless with nature itself.

till death do us part :o .....so bring me some happy........ :mrgreen:
firlandsfarm

sniffer66 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:57 am
55 and just retired. Hope to be doing this still at 80. As well as being a hobby I'm really interested in, it's a way to keep my IT skills honed and hopefully ward off any chance of dementia. There's an old quote that staes the brain is like a muscle, don't use it and it will atrophy like any other muscle.

I also dance regularly, gym and juggle so I'm hedging my bets (pun intended) :)
Maybe juggling your bets? :)

Return to “General discussion”