Staking Method - 'hedged' tick size?

A place to discuss anything.
Brovashift

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a way I can stake using hedged tick size, as opposed to (un-hedged) tick size?

Im just playing with some automation and want to take £1/tick... but hedged.

Or... how would I easily calculate that using another staking method? Obviously it'll change depending on the odds.

TIA :ugeek:
Derek27

Brovashift wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:10 pm
Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a way I can stake using hedged tick size, as opposed to (un-hedged) tick size?

Or... how would I easily calculate that using another staking method? Obviously it'll change depending on the odds.

What do you mean by hedged tick size?
Brovashift

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:57 pm
Brovashift wrote:
Hi all,

I mean, what do I mean :?: lol

E.g. if I wanted to stake for £1/tick @6.0, using staking method By Tick Size and an Offset bet with greening, it would place £5 back/lay to give £1 green when/if both bets are matched. Hedged amount is 0.15p.

I was just wondering how I would easily hedge for £1 instead of 0.15p. I guess if I used a fixed stake of £40 @6.0 this would give me £1.03 hedged. But this is a static method for only at odds of 6. Im wondering how i would do this more dynamic, across any selection, any odds.

Im sure its a simple solution that Im making sound more complicated than it is lol.
Derek27

Brovashift wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:21 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Brovashift wrote:
Hi all,

E.g. if I wanted to stake for £1/tick @6.0, using staking method By Tick Size and an Offset bet with greening, it would place £5 back/lay to give £1 green when/if both bets are matched. Hedged amount is 0.15p.

I was just wondering how I would easily hedge for £1 instead of 0.15p. I guess if I used a fixed stake of £40 @6.0 this would give me £1.03 hedged. But this is a static method for only at odds of 6. Im wondering how i would do this more dynamic, across any selection, any odds.

Im sure its a simple solution that Im making sound more complicated than it is lol.
I don't think that's possible because your £1 tick size between 6 and 8 is calculated by £1 / 0.2 = £5. The hedge amount varies: 6.0 to 6.2 would be a greater hedge than 7.8 to 8.0.

However, you could use 'by book %'. For example, set your book % stake to £100. Back at 7.6 (£100 / 7.6 = £13.16). Lay at 7.0 (£100 / 7.0 = £14.29) and you're automatically hedged each time.

I used to use this method but I gave it up because too many bets were partially matched so I had to green up anyway, and then I decided it's not really a great deal of effort to single-click on the green column when you want to green up. How simple can trading get? :)
Brovashift

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:45 pm
Brovashift wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:21 pm
Derek27 wrote:

I don't think that's possible because your £1 tick size between 6 and 8 is calculated by £1 / 0.2 = £5. The hedge amount varies: 6.0 to 6.2 would be a greater hedge than 7.8 to 8.0.

However, you could use 'by book %'. For example, set your book % stake to £100. Back at 7.6 (£100 / 7.6 = £13.16). Lay at 7.0 (£100 / 7.0 = £14.29) and you're automatically hedged each time.

I used to use this method but I gave it up because too many bets were partially matched so I had to green up anyway, and then I decided it's not really a great deal of effort to single-click on the green column when you want to green up. How simple can trading get? :)
Cheers Dez,

Trust me to ask a question thats impossible lol. I think so far outside the box the box isn't even visiable... its a dot in the distance :lol:
I've not done anything with book % yet, but will give this a try... Thanks 👍

Tbh I haven't experimented much with the staking methods... or global settings, both are surprisingly very useful tools to add the the toolbox.
Im also going through some automation from the shared files, which was why I was asking this question. These files dont seem to work straight out the box, but watching them, particularly the scalping bots I see they can hedge a green several minutes before post, but when leaving them to run and green up automatically at post time, by then they are hedging a red number, when left to fire multiple times.

In theory, a few tweeks to jump in and out once for e.g. £1, and stopping as soon as a hedge profit achived and moving onto the next race, should... in theory... improve the strike rate. Proof is in the pudding though, as they say lol. :D
ShaunWhite

Brovashift wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:28 pm
In theory, a few tweeks to jump in and out once for e.g. £1, and stopping as soon as a hedge profit achived and moving onto the next race,
Why? Some races won't present the right opportunity and others might do 3 or 4 times. Stopping because you've made money isn't logical
Brovashift

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:07 pm
Brovashift wrote:
In theory, a few tweeks to jump in and out once for e.g. £1, and stopping as soon as a hedge profit achived and moving onto the next race,
Why? Some races won't present the right opportunity and others might do 3 or 4 times. Stopping because you've made money isn't logical
True... Im just going off what I am seeing here with these shared files. Leaving them to run until post time is ending in reds. Id like to create something basic that works, and then refine, tweek, and potentially build on that. Im certain no automation will work in every market, but that'll come clear during the refining process I guess.
I've only been testing on Hcaps based on what I've read on the forum.
Dallas

Brovashift wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:23 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Brovashift wrote:
True... Im just going off what I am seeing here with these shared files. Leaving them to run until post time is ending in reds. Id like to create something basic that works, and then refine, tweek, and potentially build on that. Im certain no automation will work in every market, but that'll come clear during the refining process I guess.
It's very very hard to find any automation that you can just apply to every market and make a profit

Peter has a phrase he uses which is "For every strategy there is a market and for every market there is a strategy, a traders job is to match the right strategy to the right market"

Also don't expect any of the files on the forum to make you a profit out the box, they are just examples/frameworks to get people started and show how to configure them for certain scenario's, its up to the user to then edit them any way they wish and to find the most subtitle markets

If any were profitable exactly as they were uploaded that will have been killed off by the time the 2nd or 3rd person had downloaded and began using it
Brovashift

Dallas wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:04 pm
Brovashift wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:23 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:

It's very very hard to find any automation that you can just apply to every market and make a profit

Peter has a phrase he uses which is "For every strategy there is a market and for every market there is a strategy, a traders job is to match the right strategy to the right market"

Also don't expect any of the files on the forum to make you a profit out the box, they are just examples/frameworks to get people started and show how to configure them for certain scenario's, its up to the user to then edit them any way they wish and to find the most subtitle markets

If any were profitable exactly as they were uploaded that will have been killed off by the time the 2nd or 3rd person had downloaded and began using it
Have you copied and pasted this answer? :lol: Im sure I read you telling exactly this to someone on another thread lol.

I know, after reading that Im not expecting too much from these but just using as a starting point, focusing, as you suggested elsewhere, only on Hcaps and avoiding Mdns, Novs. etc.

My initial idea is to try and keep it super super simple, and hopefully see a decent strike rate, and build it out from there. I know Im at the very start of a very long trial and error process, but aim to work on it this year and hope to have something functional/profitable by autum/winter. We'll see, but no ideas of gradeur over here lol
gstar1975

Can I set the Staking Method dropdown box to a Default setting? as it keeps changing back to Fixed Stake when I select the next market.

I want to keep "By Liability (Back & Lay)" selected.

Staking Method Drop Down Box.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

gstar1975 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:06 pm
Can I set the Staking Method dropdown box to a Default setting? as it keeps changing back to Fixed Stake when I select the next market.

re-save that settings profile
gstar1975

Dallas wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:13 pm
gstar1975 wrote:

I've just realised, after many months of wondering, why my staking kept on getting changed from Liability stakes to Fixed Stakes.

It's because my i have it set to a Hot Key so whenever I typed "O" in my notes it would change to Fixed Stake! LOL What a plonker.

But seriously it's something to be aware of so you dont put yourself in a bad situation by accident.

It can also happen if you have just selected a different staking method and the box stays blue and you scroll on the mouse it can change.

So hopefully my mistake will prevent others from doing the same thing.
Dallas

gstar1975 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:07 pm
Dallas wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:13 pm
gstar1975 wrote:

I've just realised, after many months of wondering, why my staking kept on getting changed from Liability stakes to Fixed Stakes.

It's because my i have it set to a Hot Key so whenever I typed "O" in my notes it would change to Fixed Stake! LOL What a plonker.

But seriously it's something to be aware of so you dont put yourself in a bad situation by accident.

It can also happen if you have just selected a different staking method and the box stays blue and you scroll on the mouse it can change.

So hopefully my mistake will prevent others from doing the same thing.
There is a box you can tick when creating any short cut key that will tell it to 'ignore the shortcut when focused on a text box'
ie, it won't initiate your short cut commands if you are search for a market or naming a rule, settings file etc
gstar1975

Ah ok thanks Dallas.

Return to “General discussion”