Betfair New £1 minimum stakes

A place to discuss anything.
ShaunWhite

Screenshot_10.jpg
Dunno if you've all seen it but min stakes go down to £1 on the 7th. What's the feeling about the impact?

My take is that if people have got a tenner to spend they'll spend it whatever the minimum is so volume should/could stay the same. And for new people considering automation then £1 might be less daunting if they're new to letting things run all day. Possibly also a small nod to the authorities too that they're trying to consider the cost/impact of gambling? There might be a bit more traffic from low stakes bots but overall I think I'm OK with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MAGTRADEUK

Also could it be that with the rise in UK rates and a stronger pound overseas then?
that may deter more overseas punters on min bet/ automation as they would in effect that to stake more due to the currency exchange ??
Trader Pat

It will be good for the risk averse and those with smaller banks who want to gather some data and test out some strategies.

Don't think it will have any significant impact though.
Dallas

I'm not sure it would have any impact except reduce overall liquidity

Anyone using software can already bet below the minimum, and those already betting £2 stakes directly on the Betfair site or mobile app are more likely to just reduce stakes than bet twice as much using half the stake, and new punters attracted to the exchange now they can use £1 stakes are very unlikely to offset that by quite some way
ShaunWhite

I've been keeping basic stats on volume, #markets and number of transactions for uk & aus, horses and dogs since the start of 2019 so it'll will be interesting to see what happens. I keep meaning to do seperate stats for IP (these are PP) but it's a bit of a chore. I can't guarentee every data point is spot on but it's a guide.

For UK horses, it's noticable that the average bet size is diminishing already, identifiable because although volume is down about 20% year on year the transaction count is up by as much as 40%. I can't remember if there were any significant changes last July (same question for July 2019) as the number of transactions per market has been growing rapidly since then although Jan stats indicate that might have peaked.....I can't believe it's almost 2yrs since the uk racing lockdown ! :shock:
Screenshot_11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shaung89

Had this email earlier which im sure some people will find interesting...

A sign of them listening to customers? Or just a new strategy to attract liquidity?
Betfair 1.png
ShaunWhite

Shaung89 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:02 pm
A sign of them listening to customers? Or just a new strategy to attract liquidity?
"or just" ? That sounds like cynical response which if true would be a good thing surely....although I'm not sure the bigger customers welcome it tbh.

I think you might have missed this thread.....
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25131&p=291195&hilit=min#p291195
Dallas

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:09 pm
Shaung89 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:02 pm
"or just" ? That sounds like cynical response which if true would be a good thing surely....although I'm not sure the bigger customers welcome it tbh.

I think you might have missed this thread.....
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25131&p=291195&hilit=min#p291195
I was just merging them as you posted that :)
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:13 pm
I was just merging them as you posted that :)
:) thx

Just a couple of other considerations/implications.....

Although the min SP back stake is now £1 the min BSP liability remains at £10.
No changes to the fact that stakes between £1.26 and £1.59 cannot be currently placed at price 1.01.
Shaung89

Definitely missed it... :D
transferFunds

They've been trialing with Euro customers since August 2021, apparently trials brought in extra customers so now available in the UK too.
Archery1969

I wish they would go down to 0.01p for my martingale strategies…
greenmark

My gut reaction was Betfair are in trouble and are trying to widen their revenue opportunties. This is not a good move due to provoking more stringent regulation. It may well attract more punters, but will they be more like bingo players than hard-nosed traders (I'm neither)? If so, that can't be good for the exchange concept can it?
Emmson

I notice the Prizeout has changed or at least the presentation of it.
ShaunWhite

greenmark wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:52 pm
It may well attract more punters, but will they be more like bingo players than hard-nosed traders (I'm neither)? If so, that can't be good for the exchange concept can it?
Ulimately there's no guarentees any business with continue indefinately, and all publically owned businesses operate for the benefit of the shareholders rather that some grand vision about changing the landscape anyway. We can't change anything and we get what we're given so IMO it's a matter of making hay while the sun shines. And if there are going to be more players than I'll happily take the bingo crowd on all day long, I'm not especially interested in attracting any 'hard-nosed' operators. ;)

Return to “General discussion”