Bet Angel VPS - worth it?

A place to discuss anything.
jamesedwards

I use Bet Angel for manual in-play horse racing and some heavy football automation. I've never tried Bet Angel VPS as I've never really understood the benefit, but every now and again I'm getting some FOMO. :lol:

For those who use Bet Angel VPS:
  • What sort of trading do you use it for and what are the tangible benefits?
  • Are you able to have multiple iterations of Bet Angel running or are you stuck with just one? I currently have 10 iterations running simultaneously across 3 devices.
  • Which of the three packages do you use? It seems a hefty increase in cost for just 2GB more ram, or does this really make a difference?
Dallas

You can run multiple instances of BA from them but you'll need the expert package to handle them

The big advantage is when using automation as it means it can run 24/7 without your PC needing to be on, its also faster to get orders into the market than most desktop PCs
ODPaul82

I have a VPS but not through the BA package, I just run BA professional (4x instances) on one. Cost is £20 p/m.
Location of mine is pretty much door to BF HQ, I believe the BA supplied one may well be located in exactly the same data centre (quite possibly same firm just different "skin" for the sale)

Went with that location due to the fact that in theory should be less hops between network nodes for my data packets to BF.

Automation wise one is for data recording, one is for dogs (UK & AUS), one is for pre-off racing (UK/USA/AUS), one is for spare in case I need to hop-on to a clean setup for whatever reason.
RichieT

I use one for manual in-play trading. I'm Australian based, in theory it shouldn't make any difference (in fact it should be slightly slower due to the extra hop) but it's undeniably quicker. For some reason AU initiated trades have some random spikes in bet submission times that a VPS eliminates (I'm talking several seconds), I've traded all over the world and it's the only country I've had an issue with. It's not a BA issue either, I've reproduced the same spikes with other platforms too.

I've yet to think of a plausible theory as to why it happens, after all the data travels by essentially the same route to the VPS, but it's a demonstrable fact.
PeterLe

ODPaul82 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:56 pm
I have a VPS but not through the BA package, I just run BA professional (4x instances) on one. Cost is £20 p/m.
Location of mine is pretty much door to BF HQ, I believe the BA supplied one may well be located in exactly the same data centre (quite possibly same firm just different "skin" for the sale)

Went with that location due to the fact that in theory should be less hops between network nodes for my data packets to BF.

Automation wise one is for data recording, one is for dogs (UK & AUS), one is for pre-off racing (UK/USA/AUS), one is for spare in case I need to hop-on to a clean setup for whatever reason.
Paul have you measured you ping time to Betfair ?
Also even if you located in the same data centre you still getting routed though the DDOS protection in London don’t you? Ie it negates the benefit of being co located? Thanks
ODPaul82

Never tried the ping on it. Didn't consider the DDOS filtering aspect of it actually
It is an assumption that being closer geographically there should be less hops.
Euler

jamesedwards wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:58 pm
  • Which of the three packages do you use? It seems a hefty increase in cost for just 2GB more ram, or does this really make a difference?
Specifications have changed recently but the old specs are still on the website. Drop the guys a note if you want to know the new specifications.

I've used a VPS from my very early days, 2004 I think.

Helpful for fully automated stuff and invaluable as a back up or for checking on things on remote locations or devices.
Euler

ODPaul82 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:04 am
Never tried the ping on it. Didn't consider the DDOS filtering aspect of it actually
DDos stuff negates a lot of advantage gained by location.
sniffer66

Euler wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:36 am
ODPaul82 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:04 am
DDos stuff negates a lot of advantage gained by location.
I hadn't considered that. It's all routed via Cloudflare or similar then ?
ShaunWhite

PeterLe wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:17 am
Also even if you located in the same data centre you still getting routed though the DDOS protection in London don’t you? Ie it negates the benefit of being co located? Thanks
I'm pretty sure ddos prevention is in-house now rather than being in Reading but that's 2nd hand info. The usual suspects will know if that's right.

[edit] convo on the other forum seems to bear out that ddos setup changed in Dec. VPS choice and location is a no-brainer really, just do what the big guys do. But a lot of that will only be an issue for automation, if you're manual you'll be better off buying an espresso machine than a nearby server, a 50ms headstart won't make any descernable difference.
foxwood

Checking my home connection and it's to 84.20.208.x which is BF owned range of IP's.

Most IP location list it as London but https://ipinfo.io/ seem to be more clever/accurate and list it as Dublin

Also have a connection to 104.16.x.x which is Cloudfare owned - IP gives US but they do have servers in London and Dublin so could be anywhere !

Thinking that the streaming comes straight from BF in Dublin and the polling / account stuff comes through Cloudfare - possibly located in Dublin
jamesedwards

Thanks all for your advice.
jamesedwards

It's been two days since I signed up and started paying for Bet Angel VPS and I've not heard a single bean in terms of set-up. Is this to be expected? Perhaps signing up on a friday afternoon was a bad idea, but I assumed things would be automatic. The taking of my payment and commencement of my subscription certainly was.
Dallas

jamesedwards wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 4:31 pm
It's been two days since I signed up and started paying for Bet Angel VPS and I've not heard a single bean in terms of set-up. Is this to be expected? Perhaps signing up on a friday afternoon was a bad idea, but I assumed things would be automatic. The taking of my payment and commencement of my subscription certainly was.
Its not automatic, once an order comes in the VPS needs to be set up and configured which takes a few hours, but we do say allow up to 1 working day to cover busy periods.

But I do recall seeing one had been set up and the login details sent out for someone named James on Friday afternoon so that's possibly yours

Have you checked your spam/junk folder, sometimes peoples email clients can divert messages there (if they haven't marked the domains Betangel.co.uk and Betangel.com as non spam in their email settings)?
jamesedwards

Dallas wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 4:41 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 4:31 pm
Its not automatic, once an order comes in the VPS needs to be set up and configured which takes a few hours, but we do say allow up to 1 working day to cover busy periods.

But I do recall seeing one had been set up and the login details sent out for someone named James on Friday afternoon so that's possibly yours

Have you checked your spam/junk folder, sometimes peoples email clients can divert messages there (if they haven't marked the domains Betangel.co.uk and Betangel.com as non spam in their email settings)?
Yes I've been checking my spam email all the way through just in case. I registered early evening Friday so it probably wasn't mine.

Return to “General discussion”