New fancy broadband

A place to discuss anything.
Hepburn

Does anyone have any opinions on vodaphones pro broadband? It comes with a dongle that plugs into the router so your always online.
Anyone have it? does it work ok?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpiVMcUlQEY
Crazyskier

I can't comment on Vodafone, however my backup broadband (I have Talktalk 30MB also wired over the phone line for my trading PC) is a 5G over-the-airwaves router from Three for around £32 per month. It's almost bullet proof and sits on the dining table feeding around 8-12 devices including our new Sky Glass broadband TV!

The download speeds are anything upto 330MB even over wifi, though you can also plug in to the router also.

Hope this makes sense and recommend you check it out if you are in a 5G area as is a gamechanger for me and I've had it for around a year or more now.

CS
ShaunWhite

BT offered me a version of that, with a sim backup. So I asked them if it switched seemlessly and they said no its manual. So no different to switching to my hotspot?.. "that's right sir". So it's an additional cost with no benefit? 'I can't comment on that". Thanks, goodbye.
Crazyskier

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:12 pm
BT offered me a version of that, with a sim backup. So I asked them if it switched seemlessly and they said no its manual. So no different to switching to my hotspot?.. "that's right sir". So it's an additional cost with no benefit? 'I can't comment on that". Thanks, goodbye.
From your post, I think you might not understand why I recommended the Three 5G router, when compared to your BT offering, Shaun.

1) It's a stand-alone product and 5g is at least TEN TIMES FASTER than standard fibre broadband, very useful when streaming Netflix 4k HDR movies with a Sky Glass TV as we often do, as this alone can use 20 of the available 30MB from typical wired fibre broadband, leaving nothing for gaming, work, etc...

2) It's with a 5G sim so over-the-airwaves. Great when BT are upgrading copper cable or similar and the fibre broadband goes down.

3) It allows upto 30 devices I think - far, far more than the standard fibre router.

4) We also got a free 47 inch TV smart when I signed up for a 2 year contract with Three.

Hence, my strong recommendation versus standard fibre which typically costs only a few pounds less per month, for a fraction of the speed and device connectivity. Hopefully, this clarifies my reasoning.

CS
Trader Pat

Crazyskier wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:53 pm
1) It's a stand-alone product and 5g is at least TEN TIMES FASTER than standard fibre broadband, very useful when streaming Netflix 4k HDR movies with a Sky Glass TV as we often do, as this alone can use 20 of the available 30MB from typical wired fibre broadband, leaving nothing for gaming, work, etc...
I was tempted by the Sky Glass TV but thought they might be a bit gimmicky.

Would you recommend CS?
Crazyskier

Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:14 pm
Crazyskier wrote:

Would you recommend CS?
Hi Pat.

Frankly, no. The sound is amazing, due to the 6 speakers contained in the unit, and it means the sky Q box, the external satellite dish, sound bar, subwoofer and all the other gubbins that we had in our cabinet has now been removed and the Sky Glass is mounted on the wall, allowing two display cabinets to fit either side (the Mrs. was happy!).

The reason I say no is that the catch-up 'playlist' service is not even close to how good and consistent the Sky Q box was. You can't record any more, but rather need to reply on the streamed catch-up player which is fine with Sky Atlantic and others, but sometimes nasty or just not functional at all with ITV and C4 etc.

We watch a lot of Netflix and the 4k HDR streaming through the aforementioned Three 5G wifi are exceptionally good with zero buffering and fabulous sound and vision. There are Youtube and the usual apps also, though interestingly for an online-only TV, NO BROWSER!

All in all, I do miss the Sky Q box when watching the F1 quali in 4k as I am whist typing, as you must click to load the UHD/4k over the standard HD feed, and this sometimes starts the entire programme from the beginning unintentionally. Overall it's a 6.5/10, but if you have the Sky Q, I'd advise keeping it for now until the bugs are all sorted.

CS
Trader Pat

Crazyskier wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:07 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Crazyskier wrote:

Would you recommend CS?
Hi Pat.

Frankly, no. The sound is amazing, due to the 6 speakers contained in the unit, and it means the sky Q box, the external satellite dish, sound bar, subwoofer and all the other gubbins that we had in our cabinet has now been removed and the Sky Glass is mounted on the wall, allowing two display cabinets to fit either side (the Mrs. was happy!).

The reason I say no is that the catch-up 'playlist' service is not even close to how good and consistent the Sky Q box was. You can't record any more, but rather need to reply on the streamed catch-up player which is fine with Sky Atlantic and others, but sometimes nasty or just not functional at all with ITV and C4 etc.

We watch a lot of Netflix and the 4k HDR streaming through the aforementioned Three 5G wifi are exceptionally good with zero buffering and fabulous sound and vision. There are Youtube and the usual apps also, though interestingly for an online-only TV, NO BROWSER!

All in all, I do miss the Sky Q box when watching the F1 quali in 4k as I am whist typing, as you must click to load the UHD/4k over the standard HD feed, and this sometimes starts the entire programme from the beginning unintentionally. Overall it's a 6.5/10, but if you have the Sky Q, I'd advise keeping it for now until the bugs are all sorted.

CS
Thanks CS,

I'll hold off for now then. Sounds mighty if they can sort those issues out though.
Crazyskier

Trader Pat wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:23 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:07 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

Would you recommend CS?
Hi Pat.

CS
Thanks CS,

I'll hold off for now then. Sounds mighty if they can sort those issues out though.
Indeed. The sound as I say is better than my old LG sound bar and woofer and with the F1 on loud, it really works well, so when Sky do finally sort the catchup on non-Sky channels it will be something special.

CS
ShaunWhite

Crazyskier wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:12 pm
From your post, I think you might not understand why I recommended the Three 5G router, when compared to your BT offering, Shaun.
No I was agreeing, my hotspot is 5g though the airwaves too. I was just saying that the BT box didn't actually offer anything novel like a seemless switchover. But I don't need much oomph at home, as you say 4k streaming only uses about 20 out of the available 50, I don't play games and work is done courtesy of amazon.

I can't see the point of sky glass though (and I don't have sky) my TV is on my home network so I cast to it, it has an ssd I can record to, the picture (imo) is better than on a sky TV and my sound is thought a seperate system anyway.

Just out of interest, who makes the Sky Glass TV's? Alan Sugar used to make the sky boxes so are they made by a reputable manufacturer or.....

Return to “General discussion”