A place to discuss anything.
RoyJay

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:04 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:23 pm
RoyJay wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:21 pm
Which, ultimately, makes all debating circular and pointless!
AMEN!
Nope can't agree with that. That would be an abdication of my heartfelt belief that we should challenge things we disagree with. It's messy and can lead to online grenades being flung about, but debate is fundamental to democracy. Which is the best system we have come up with so far.
I agree with you to be fair, greenmark. Though it should also be pointed out that not everybody is as reasonable and as eloquent a debater as you are!

Maybe I should rephrase, “…which, ultimately, for some people(definitely me!), makes all debating circular and pointless! “. Though I take your general point.
greenmark

RoyJay wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:29 pm
greenmark wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:

AMEN!
Nope can't agree with that. That would be an abdication of my heartfelt belief that we should challenge things we disagree with. It's messy and can lead to online grenades being flung about, but debate is fundamental to democracy. Which is the best system we have come up with so far.
I agree with you to be fair, greenmark. Though it should also be pointed out that not everybody is as reasonable and as eloquent a debater as you are!

Maybe I should rephrase, “…which, ultimately, for some people(definitely me!), makes all debating circular and pointless! “. Though I take your general point.
And I take your point that it often feels liks the loonies have taken over the asylum and debate is pointless. Nonetheless, I believe debate is better than trying to blow each others head off.
RoyJay

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:41 pm
And I take your point that it often feels liks the loonies have taken over the asylum and debate is pointless. Nonetheless, I believe debate is better than trying to blow each others head off.
Yes, good debate is obviously critical and always preferable to violence or blowing off heads.

My comments were aimed more at the seemingly pointless, never ending online debate, where both sides have already made their minds up and just end up throwing endless statistics and bad data at one another to try and prove their point. It’s Gary lineker vs Matt le tissier, leave vs remain, pro gambling vs anti gambling, climate change vs denier. And nobody ever gets to find out who was actually right, both sides always claim victory.

I can also see how some people enjoy debating. Though personally I don’t, i find it draining, I prefer gambling!
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:
RoyJay wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:21 pm
Which, ultimately, makes all debating circular and pointless!
AMEN!
I think most sensible people are open to the idea of challenging themselves when it comes to what they believe without the need of talking around in circles with people who believe the opposite particularly online. There are so many resources out there for learning new things and gathering information that you don't need to pointlessly argue the toss with somebody. As for challenging people we disagree with what's the point? They won't change their minds anyway. If you're not the type of person who is open to changing your beliefs then you're even less likely to change them by having someone telling you that you're wrong.
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:10 pm
greenmark wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:

AMEN!
I think most sensible people are open to the idea of challenging themselves when it comes to what they believe without the need of talking around in circles with people who believe the opposite particularly online. There are so many resources out there for learning new things and gathering information that you don't need to pointlessly argue the toss with somebody. As for challenging people we disagree with what's the point? They won't change their minds anyway. If you're not the type of person who is open to changing your beliefs then you're even less likely to change them by having someone telling you that you're wrong.
"As for challenging people we disagree with what's the point? They won't change their minds anyway. "
Can't agree with this. But across all your posts I respect your view.
I'm not proposing aggression, quite the opposite. Debate and sensible discussion can resolve conflict. NI has been a decent success. Israel vs Palestine is a suppurating wound that shows how the inability to debate is so wasteful.
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:18 pm
"As for challenging people we disagree with what's the point? They won't change their minds anyway. "
I'm not proposing aggression, quite the opposite. Debate and sensible discussion can resolve conflict. NI has been a decent success. Israel vs Palestine is a suppurating wound that shows how the inability to debate is so wasteful.
Yeah I accept that but that's politics. Resolving conflict is more about self-interest though than changing people's beliefs. I suppose I'm talking more about what people fundamentally believe. I fundamentally believe the Earth is round and that ice-cream sundaes were better than McFlurry's, nobody will ever change my mind on either!
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:37 pm
greenmark wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:18 pm
Yeah I accept that but that's politics. Resolving conflict is more about self-interest though than changing people's beliefs. I suppose I'm talking more about what people fundamentally believe. I fundamentally believe the Earth is round and that ice-cream sundaes were better than McFlurry's, nobody will ever change my mind on either!
"Resolving conflict is more about self-interest though than changing people's beliefs."
That is wirthy of a thread on it's own. But perhaps not on here, perhaps within Rant Corner.
Derek27

Trader Pat wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:44 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:13 pm
I've decided to turn to Wikipedia when I've got time to kill. I've finished reading the page on evolution. Interesting subject but most boring article ever when you delve into the detail.
Not sure reading an article on evolution would help when I sometimes get bored trading.

I think I'll revisit Realrocknrolla's advent calendar! :D
I'm on to world history now, and that will be followed by British history, from the stone age to the present day.

You won't learn as much by looking at women's breasts. :D
Trader Pat

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:13 pm
You won't learn as much by looking at women's breasts. :D
Not so sure about that. I did pretty well at French in school even though I spent most of the lessons looking at the teachers legs!
Derek27

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:13 pm
I've decided to turn to Wikipedia when I've got time to kill.
Must be one of the best trading ideas I've had. Make money while reading the subject of your choice. If the goal you're waiting for doesn't come in at least it hasn't been a waste of time. :D

Return to “General discussion”