God save the Queen (RIP 21-4-1926 - 08-09-2022)

A place to discuss anything.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:50 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:19 pm
I never thought of it but deciding on a seating plan for the funeral is quite a political challenge!
Would have been worse if Putin was coming.
He'd be arrested at the airport and have to watch it from a prison cell. :D
greenmark

Erm....The Eve of the State Funeral? As a TV programme?
It's evident now this is a mediafest. For folks that want to be respectful, we're going to have to be individually editorial.
Derek27

I just can't wait for it all to be over. Still don't know how long the media's gonna play it out after the funeral.
Emmson

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:05 pm
I just can't wait for it all to be over. Still don't know how long the media's gonna play it out after the funeral.
We have to move on Derek Blighty is in dire straits, we are being overtaken in prosperity by old Warsaw pact countries like Poland and Slovakia. Brexit has been an unmitigated disaster.
:evil: The State We're In :evil:

Now Liz is taken us further to the right as if 12 years of Toryism has worked. :x :x :x :x
jimibt

as a glaswegian, a bit disappointed by the response from parkhead ... hmm

https://twitter.com/GrieveWatch/status/ ... 9jTqg&s=08

to add to that, why carry around such negativity!! contribute positively, be worthy.. jeez. never been a royalist in any shape or fashion, but this is cringy.
Derek27

jimibt wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:39 pm

to add to that, why carry around such negativity!! contribute positively, be worthy.. jeez. never been a royalist in any shape or fashion, but this is cringy.
:lol:
sa7med

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:46 pm
I thought I quite liked the Queen but these documentaries have been revealing. More than once I heard her say "democracies are broke because they're too generous" to her snooty friends .... Seems like having no public comment for 70yrs was a good thing or we'd know what she was really like. The more I've seen the more it seems she was just like the rest of her sort.
Would you share sources for that?
Emmson

sa7med wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:55 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
I thought I quite liked the Queen but these documentaries have been revealing. More than once I heard her say "democracies are broke because they're too generous" to her snooty friends .... Seems like having no public comment for 70yrs was a good thing or we'd know what she was really like. The more I've seen the more it seems she was just like the rest of her sort.
I believe it was when in discussion with Ronald Reagan 3 decades ago. Shaun has not made that up
sa7med

Emmson wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:05 pm
sa7med wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:
I believe it was when in discussion with Ronald Reagan 3 decades ago. Shaun has not made that up
Not saying he made it up just that I want to hear it for myself :lol:
greenmark

jimibt wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:39 pm

My bro-in-law was both a Hibs and Celtic fan and I'm certain he would not approve of that behaviour. It's so pointlessly offensive. But as you will know Celtic/Rangers and Hibs/Hearts are overcharged. But quite why that anti-monarchy sentiment should be deployed at St Mirren in the current circumstances stretches my knowledge beyond its limits.
On a happier note, my family and friends include Hibbies and Hearts fans, and friendly footy banter abounds but is submerged when someone needs help or is celebrating.
Dublin_Flyer

greenmark wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:28 pm

My bro-in-law was both a Hibs and Celtic fan and I'm certain he would not approve of that behaviour. It's so pointlessly offensive. But as you will know Celtic/Rangers and Hibs/Hearts are overcharged. But quite why that anti-monarchy sentiment should be deployed at St Mirren in the current circumstances stretches my knowledge beyond its limits.
On a happier note, my family and friends include Hibbies and Hearts fans, and friendly footy banter abounds but is submerged when someone needs help or is celebrating.
Yeah the Shamrock Rovers fans singing Lizzies in a box was equally distasteful. In my humble opinion, she was a head of state with zero political input, zero impact on the Northern Ireland situation, if anything she improved IRE/UK relations and gained a lot more fans on this side when she spoke on her visit here and started off with a little bit of Irish....it took her from a robot royal to a human in a way in many peoples eyes.

Plus she liked horsies and I like horsies too.
ShaunWhite

sa7med wrote:
Emmson wrote:
sa7med wrote:

Not saying he made it up just that I want to hear it for myself :lol:
Can't exactly remember, one was on Saturday night, a doc shot in 1992 and she was talking to some senior army guy with a huge moustach at a party. And some comment about "people grabbing everything they're given" The Reagan ref is also right https://www.goodreads.com/videos/70807- ... ets-presid

It's not a reason to storm the castles but I'd imagined a warmer personality, and reminded me she's never actually done much. Where's the Elizabethan legacy?
ShaunWhite

When do we get new bank notes?

It's a good job Her and His start with the same letter or the HMRC would be ordering all new stationary!
Derek27

Some people have queued for 12 hours to file by the coffin and now they're queuing up for the funeral. :lol:
Euler

Just wondering watch to watch this morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General discussion”