Windows update has ruined my connection through a VPS - what can be done?

A place to discuss anything.
HorseDark

arbitrage16 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:15 pm
Thanks, definitely seeing the image but not sure what it's showing me?
Under Audio inputs and outputs, I disabled Digital Audio.

Under Sound, video and game controllers, I disabled a High Definition Audio Device.

For a long while I resorted to installing a pre update version of windows, and preventing windows from updating. I stumbled on the above solution by trail and error. For me, one of each of the above was needed after a restart, the other was not. Again, trial and error.
HorseDark

arbitrage16 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:18 pm
I now know it's possible to stream good quality video, even through an VPN.
Just took note of this. Ignore everything I said. My bad.
foxwood

arbitrage16 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:19 am
foxwood wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:51 pm
Are you running out of disk space / memory / swap space as a result of the update on the VPS - could impact screen recording.
Thanks for all this. Thing is it's not just the betfair video, the ladders are laggy too and trading in play when it gets to the business end they are all over the place and basically untradeable.

the screen recorder I am using is also the native windows 10 one, and I have tried trading without having it switched on, and the error is still there.

Earlier I tried trading on my computer, no VPS, just using a VPN and whilst the ladders were laggy - as I woudl expect - the video was smooth, which leads me to believe that this is an issue with the VPS.
I still think you need to look at the free disk space available - in Windows Explorer - under This PC

If the disk space looks low then there is usually loads of old stuff stored in the WinSxS folder which can be removed - worth trying anyway.

Open the command prompt as an administrator and run

Code: Select all

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
It released a few gig for me a couple of years ago when I ran out of space.

For the avoidance of doubt - it is the internet after all - check out https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... windows-11 for confirmation
arbitrage16

foxwood wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:08 pm
arbitrage16 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:19 am
foxwood wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:51 pm
Are you running out of disk space / memory / swap space as a result of the update on the VPS - could impact screen recording.
Thanks for all this. Thing is it's not just the betfair video, the ladders are laggy too and trading in play when it gets to the business end they are all over the place and basically untradeable.

the screen recorder I am using is also the native windows 10 one, and I have tried trading without having it switched on, and the error is still there.

Earlier I tried trading on my computer, no VPS, just using a VPN and whilst the ladders were laggy - as I woudl expect - the video was smooth, which leads me to believe that this is an issue with the VPS.
I still think you need to look at the free disk space available - in Windows Explorer - under This PC

If the disk space looks low then there is usually loads of old stuff stored in the WinSxS folder which can be removed - worth trying anyway.

Open the command prompt as an administrator and run

Code: Select all

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
It released a few gig for me a couple of years ago when I ran out of space.

For the avoidance of doubt - it is the internet after all - check out https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... windows-11 for confirmation
Thanks but the free disk space available is significant, as I did a full windows reinstall to try and clear out this issue.

Return to “General discussion”