Gambling Review White Paper update

A place to discuss anything.
jamesedwards

Michael5482 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 6:33 pm

How will credit checks show on your credit report what if I want credit in the future but refused because of gambling credit checks that were incorrectly carried out despite being in lifetime net profit.
The answer to this is that it will be like a soft credit check in the same way as you get multiple numbers of already from the likes of subscription providers / insurance companies etc. If you fire up your credit file you will likely find hundreds of these per year. They are visible on your credit file but only to you. They are not visible to any external organisations like credit providers.
Michael5482

jamesedwards wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 6:48 pm
Michael5482 wrote:

How will credit checks show on your credit report what if I want credit in the future but refused because of gambling credit checks that were incorrectly carried out despite being in lifetime net profit.
The answer to this is that it will be like a soft credit check in the same way as you get multiple numbers of already from the likes of subscription providers / insurance companies etc. If you fire up your credit file you will likely find hundreds of these per year. They are visible on your credit file but only to you. They are not visible to any external organisations like credit providers.
Cheers James, hopefully get more clarification on it from the Government shortly one thing they've missed is what will actually happen after the checks will they ban you from gambling for example!
jamesedwards

Michael5482 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 7:15 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Michael5482 wrote:

Cheers James, hopefully get more clarification on it from the Government shortly one thing they've missed is what will actually happen after the checks will they ban you from gambling for example!
I spoke with the Experian UK Head of Gaming back in Feb and his expectation is the Operator (eg Betfair) will request an affordability score from their partner Credit Agency (eg Experian) when a customer breaches a loss threshold. Based on the affordability score returned the Operator will set appropriate limits to deposits/exposure/losses etc. You can help to maximise your affordability score by keeping a good credit rating and maintaining consistent income/deposits into your main current account.

He also expected the same affordability check to be run for all new accounts as well as periodically for all active accounts, although there is no mention of this in the White Paper that I can see.
ShaunWhite

Michael5482 wrote:
he's forwarded my issues to the The Department for Culture Media and Sport probably because he can't answer my questions..
Well I'm sure you'll get a sensible answer from someone so in touch with the industry...... THIS sort of job swapping nonsense is why there isn't a single dept that knows it's arse from it's elbow.......

The Rt Hon Lucy Frazer KC MP was appointed Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport on 7 February 2023.

She was previously Minister of State in the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities from 26 October 2022 to 7 February 2023.

She was previously Minister of State at the Department for Transport from 7 September to 26 October 2022.

She was Financial Secretary to the Treasury from 16 September 2021 to 7 September 2022.

Lucy was Minister of State in the Ministry of Justice from 10 September 2021 to 16 September 2021 and from 25 July 2019 to 2 March 2021. She previously served as Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Ministry of Justice from 9 January 2018 to 9 May 2019.

She was Solicitor General from 2 March 2021 to 10 September 2021 and from 9 May 2019 to 25 July 2019.
Derek27

WTF has culture got to do with sport? :lol:

And what's sport got to do with gambling? Nobody would ask Clare Balding for betting advice! Surely gambling minister Chris Philp would be more appropriate.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 10:22 pm
Surely gambling minister Chris Philp would be more appropriate.
I think he went in the revolving door too, it's now Stuart Andrew MP. Next week it'll be some other clueless lamb to the slaughter.
topogigiokiller

Some one can reply to my question? I would like know if this "withe paper" will be affected for foreing customers too... for example a mexican account on betfair.com will be affected? THX
ShaunWhite

topogigiokiller wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 12:21 am
I would like know if this "withe paper" will be affected for foreing customers too... for example a mexican account on betfair.com will be affected? THX
It will only apply to UK customers.
jamesedwards

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 10:15 pm
Michael5482 wrote:
he's forwarded my issues to the The Department for Culture Media and Sport probably because he can't answer my questions..
Well I'm sure you'll get a sensible answer from someone so in touch with the industry...... THIS sort of job swapping nonsense is why there isn't a single dept that knows it's arse from it's elbow.......

The Rt Hon Lucy Frazer KC MP was appointed Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport on 7 February 2023.

She was previously Minister of State in the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities from 26 October 2022 to 7 February 2023.

She was previously Minister of State at the Department for Transport from 7 September to 26 October 2022.

She was Financial Secretary to the Treasury from 16 September 2021 to 7 September 2022.

Lucy was Minister of State in the Ministry of Justice from 10 September 2021 to 16 September 2021 and from 25 July 2019 to 2 March 2021. She previously served as Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Ministry of Justice from 9 January 2018 to 9 May 2019.

She was Solicitor General from 2 March 2021 to 10 September 2021 and from 9 May 2019 to 25 July 2019.
This isn't how politics works. The minister for almost all departments is more or less just a mouthpiece to represent the department at a senior level. 99% of the people working for government continue in the same jobs with the same direction and agenda no matter which minister, and sometimes even which party, is in power. This is why nothing really changes when there is a change of government, mostly it's just the same people in the same roles, coming to the same conclusions and making the same recommendations.
ShaunWhite

jamesedwards wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 2:31 am
and making the same recommendations.
But there's been times when the guy/gal responsible for understanding recommendations knew roughly what they were talking about, I'm no fan of George Osbourne but at least he knew a debit from a credit. And the only dept with someone in post for 4yrs is the Defence guy so some roles are considered to be important. Housing has had 13 people in 13yrs I think.

It's the trap of thinking you just need to be a good manager without them needing to know the business, and we've all worked for one of those at some time or another :)
ShaunWhite

You've been doing some late nights recently James. Make sure you don't see the sun coming up or your sleep will be fckd like mine and Dereks.
jamesedwards

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 2:56 am
You've been doing some late nights recently James. Make sure you don't see the sun coming up or your sleep will be fckd like mine and Dereks.
:mrgreen:
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 2:56 am
I'm off to bed now. It feels pretty strange going to bed in the dark. :mrgreen:
Crazyskier

jamesedwards wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:01 pm
Michael5482 wrote:
jamesedwards wrote:

I spoke with the Experian UK Head of Gaming back in Feb and his expectation is the Operator (eg Betfair) will request an affordability score from their partner Credit Agency (eg Experian) when a customer breaches a loss threshold. Based on the affordability score returned the Operator will set appropriate limits to deposits/exposure/losses etc. You can help to maximise your affordability score by keeping a good credit rating and maintaining consistent income/deposits into your main current account.

He also expected the same affordability check to be run for all new accounts as well as periodically for all active accounts, although there is no mention of this in the White Paper that I can see.
Actually the agencies, Experian, TransUnion and Equifax etc can NOT see your current account activity unless you opt in for a limited time 'score boost' that grants open banking permission.

The scores are generally based upon a number of factors such as lack of defaults, CCJs or IVAs / bankruptcy, being on the Voter's roll and having long-standing high (5 or 6 figure) credit limits with balances that are below 33% of the limit with all greens on the last few years payment records. I spent a long time pursuing a perfect 999 on Experian with Credit Expert some years ago, to help drive down car lease and interest rate costs, and these are the factors I remember were necessary.

CS
jamesedwards

Crazyskier wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 10:10 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:01 pm
Michael5482 wrote:

Actually the agencies, Experian, TransUnion and Equifax etc can NOT see your current account activity unless you opt in for a limited time 'score boost' that grants open banking permission.

The scores are generally based upon a number of factors such as lack of defaults, CCJs or IVAs / bankruptcy, being on the Voter's roll and having long-standing high (5 or 6 figure) credit limits with balances that are below 33% of the limit with all greens on the last few years payment records. I spent a long time pursuing a perfect 999 on Experian with Credit Expert some years ago, to help drive down car lease and interest rate costs, and these are the factors I remember were necessary.

CS
They can't see your specific banking transactions without open banking, but they are supposed to be creating a headline view of your estimated income and disposable income using top-line account info and CATO (Current Account Turnover) data from banks:

"Income Estimation & Verification: Experian is working with Current Account Turnover (CATO) data provided by UK banks to develop a method of reliably estimating income. Incomes supplied on a credit application can be checked against this data to provide an independent view of an applicant’s level of income"

The gambling affordability score is not expected to be the same as your credit score. It may be similarly driven in some ways but has been tasked to weigh more towards assumed disposable income, post code affluence (disgusting!) and credit defaults, ahead of traditional credit score attributes such as voter roll, credit utilization etc. See below pulled from the gambling White Paper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General discussion”