Charles Bronson

A place to discuss anything.
Michael5482

A lot of debate around Charles Bronson with it being the last day of his parole hearing.

There's no doubt he hasn't been an angel but you have to ask the question how much has the state contributed to his behavior with the treatment he has received whilst inside?

He's done 50 years now, he's 70 so about time he's down categorized and released in manageable, supervised stages with the caveat of any issues and it's straight back in IMO
iambic_pentameter

I can't reveal my source, but the real reason for him wanting to get out, is the TPD functionaility within Bet Angel.

Seriously though, I agree with your last sentence which would seem a fair compromise.
greenmark

Michael5482 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:52 pm
A lot of debate around Charles Bronson with it being the last day of his parole hearing.

There's no doubt he hasn't been an angel but you have to ask the question how much has the state contributed to his behavior with the treatment he has received whilst inside?

He's done 50 years now, he's 70 so about time he's down categorized and released in manageable, supervised stages with the caveat of any issues and it's straight back in IMO
If you watched the C4 doc on this he comes across as part lunatic and part really quite well adjusted for someone that has been headbutting the system for 50 years.
But I would ask one question would you like him as a neighbour?
Derek27

He's too old to be a danger but he hasn't shown any remorse and doesn't even understand why he's locked up. Who cares?
Emmson

He might become a media star as he is very articulate, that would send out a wrong message, if he was released under license and promised to keep a low profile maybe it would be the humane thing to do. From what I've read of him he's probably not evil.
Emmson

On new media such as YouTube/Patreon/Buy Me A Coffee etc, there are a whole host of really dreadful human beings who have committed appalling crimes raking it in, Sammy The Bull Gravano has orchestrated dozens of murders but has a huge followi8ng on YT, plenty of others.

I notice Curtis Warren who has a tale to tell has been very low profile since his release
Derek27

What happened to the bird that married him? Perhaps she should be locked in a secure unit for her own benefit. :)
greenmark

50 years in jail. Does this suggest a competent member of society.Surely most would have worked out that being compliant was a good move?
Michael5482

greenmark wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:40 pm
Michael5482 wrote:

If you watched the C4 doc on this he comes across as part lunatic and part really quite well adjusted for someone that has been headbutting the system for 50 years.
Got a criminal record myself (nothing like Brosnon mind and now nearly all spent under The Rehabilitations of Offenders act 1974 :D ), so no issue if he lived next door to me as it would be slightly hypercritical of me however I would draw the line at murderers, rapists and pedophilia living next door to me. IMO them crimes should carry a full life tariff.
greenmark

Michael5482 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:38 pm
greenmark wrote:
Michael5482 wrote:

Got a criminal record myself (nothing like Brosnon mind and now nearly all spent under The Rehabilitations of Offenders act 1974 :D ), so no issue if he lived next door to me as it would be slightly hypercritical of me however I would draw the line at murderers, rapists and pedophilia living next door to me. IMO them crimes should carry a full life tariff.
I understand yuor view. Bronson entered prison as a violent robber. He then subjected fellow inates and prison staff to pure violence.
I'm puzzled as to where a 70 year old, 50 years prisoner could possibly fit in to modern society. And that is an honest question, I am not suggesting that Bronson (Salvador) is beyond redemption.
wearthefoxhat

iambic_pentameter wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:19 pm
I can't reveal my source, but the real reason for him wanting to get out, is the TPD functionaility within Bet Angel.

Seriously though, I agree with your last sentence which would seem a fair compromise.
Apparently, he has never used an ATM machine either...
Michael5482

greenmark wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:48 pm
Michael5482 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

I understand yuor view. Bronson entered prison as a violent robber. He then subjected fellow inates and prison staff to pure violence.
I'm puzzled as to where a 70 year old, 50 years prisoner could possibly fit in to modern society. And that is an honest question, I am not suggesting that Bronson (Salvador) is beyond redemption.
That's a valid point but feel you can't keep a man in prison on the basis he no longer fits into society due to the time he's been inside.

For me prison is first and foremost about punishment, secondly rehabilitation (excluding for the crimes I've listed above as they need life) and thirdly release after the above two have been completed.

It should be the prison's service responsibility to ensure anyone leaving the system has the appropriate skills to fit into society which is then monitored by the parole board. That's a failure of the prison service not the individual however there under funded, under trained, under staffed etc Unfortunately like most things there's no single answer or solution.
greenmark

Michael5482 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:05 pm
greenmark wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:48 pm
Michael5482 wrote:

That's a valid point but feel you can't keep a man in prison on the basis he no longer fits into society due to the time he's been inside.

For me prison is first and foremost about punishment, secondly rehabilitation (excluding for the crimes I've listed above as they need life) and thirdly release after the above two have been completed.

It should be the prison's service responsibility to ensure anyone leaving the system has the appropriate skills to fit into society which is then monitored by the parole board. That's a failure of the prison service not the individual however there under funded, under trained, under staffed etc Unfortunately like most things there's no single answer or solution.
I agree wholeheartedly. Punishment is a negative from the outset. Rehabilitaion has always been low on the agenda in this country. I'm drawn to the Scandanavian model. Have a decent society with consensual politics. Then if people have a wobble, support them to be the best citizens they can be.
Sadly there are people out there that think any deviation from the norm deserves a prison sentence.
MemphisFlash

Wasn't he one of the Dirty Dozen.
greenmark

MemphisFlash wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:42 pm
Wasn't he one of the Dirty Dozen.
...and Death Wish, the story of a vigilante putting reprobates in their place. And a total load of poo!
Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape. You can see why Michael Gordon Peterson chose Bronson and subsequently Salvador (Dali) as new ways to present himself to the world. But the irony is Bronson is an actor that has been around for yonks. He's an actor not a hardman.
The pen can be mightier than the sword.

Return to “General discussion”