Bet Angel Detected market in Play before the close

A place to discuss anything.
C769330

Hi All

I'm searching for a bit of help - I am running (currently testing) a strategy in which I close @ 90 seconds before official close time using Bet Angel automation

This is all working well - however I had an issue yesterday (26/5/23) at Haydock Race 7 that had a 17:30 close/race time.

My bets didn't close and when I checked the logs - I noticed that Betfair detected the market was in-play @17:26:56 - which is before scheduled close time (hence why bets didn't close)
According to the results on the web, the race didn't close/go in-play untill 17:30 (which would indicate that Betangel received the signal incorrectly or something else)

My question is - does this happen often? (as in betfair receiving an in-play signal prior to the actual close) - or is it one-off/very low occurrence and we just have to live with it

Cheers

Michael
Dallas

It's Betfair themselves who are responsible for turning a market in-play, suspending etc

Unfortunately for one reason or another there are few reasons why this does not always happen when it should and typically each month several markets won't be turned in-play, suspended etc on time

The dedicated BF down thread will give you an idea of some of the potential issues and there frequency over the years, the most recent being the 17:30 you mentioned
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1162&start=6780
C769330

Thanks Dallas

My results analysis shows that is has happened in 2 of the last 779 (possibly 3 - there was no log on the third race, so I couldn't tell).

This explains it - I'll just have to live with the results (I made a profit on the 17:30 @ Haydock) - so i imagine it will be a mixed bag

The only issue is - because I Lay and then back - I could be left exposed with some large liability if the bet fails to close (may have to put a "Take SP on all unmatched") to counter any large liability)

Thanks again

Michael
sionascaig

C769330 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 12:04 pm

The only issue is - because I Lay and then back - I could be left exposed with some large liability if the bet fails to close (may have to put a "Take SP on all unmatched") to counter any large liability)
You might have to get creative over the trigger of the SP bet as that market went in-play twice with a suspension before each - not sure what would have happened to your open bets in that case. Suspect it is a v rare event though.
C769330

I suspect you are right - I will need to think about things a bit and put a safety into play though - as a bad result would wipe a week's profit in one race (i assume it would have to happen at some point)
Dallas

C769330 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 1:19 pm
I suspect you are right - I will need to think about things a bit and put a safety into play though - as a bad result would wipe a week's profit in one race (i assume it would have to happen at some point)
There's a few things that could go wrong which need considering, mainly for the manual traders but you or anyone else reading this might find it useful
https://www.betfairtradingblog.com/betf ... age-crash/
C769330

Thanks Dallas - I like the article and your suggestions - I'm glad I experienced this prior to scaling up and I've now put a few back-ups in place

Cheers

Michael

Return to “General discussion”