Help for new traders - Focussing on Now Part 1

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
TheRiddler

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:54 am
TheRiddler wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:05 pm
If you put into this trading lark as many minutes as ShaunWhite has posts
Don't remind me, the cost/benefit has been marginal at times, for me and especially for whoever reads them. :roll:
As individuals we all value time differently including and beyond the confines of money. I personally would trade,etc even if I received no financial benefit. If a person sets out to learn over four thousand different aspects of the market they didn't previously know, the knock on effect,branching, multi channel threading, etc becomes extremely dominant. That person becomes more and more efficient if staying true to purpose which allows them to repeat the process up, down and across. We all need to place our actions on a set of balancing scales from time to time to make sure what we are doing still holds value from our personal perspective. I'm pretty sure forum members and other traders value your contributions. Just keep dusting off those scales every so often. TR
Kai

Shaun's contribution to the forum liquidity is impressive considering he joined in late 2016. Nothing to poke fun at, if anything he should be rewarded with a lifetime Bet Angel licence or something for his efforts. Doesn't take long for us to realize that time is a much more valuable resource than money, because unlike money, time is a finite resource and you can never get back any of it. The people that I consider to be truly wealthy are people who actually have both, along with complete freedom to do what they enjoy the most. Shaun is obviously wealthy in that regard and if he has time to write a few helpful posts per day then I'm sure he has plenty of time to do other things as well.
SweetLyrics

+1

Shaun has made a great contribution, but if he is given a free lifetime license, then everyone who has posted more than a certain number of posts should be too, including that Iron bloke who left the forum under questionable circumstances! :lol:
Kai wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:24 am
Shaun's contribution to the forum liquidity is impressive considering he joined in late 2016. Nothing to poke fun at, if anything he should be rewarded with a lifetime Bet Angel licence or something for his efforts.
Kai

SweetLyrics wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:44 pm
+1

Shaun has made a great contribution, but if he is given a free lifetime license, then everyone who has posted more than a certain number of posts should be too, including that Iron bloke who left the forum under questionable circumstances! :lol:
Calm down Jeff, you have a long way to go. Unbelievable!
ShaunWhite

It's interesting being talked about :)
When I started I'd have been lost without the help I got on here so I feel it's only right to try and help others. You can't go through life just being a taker otherwise your karma account gets overdrawn. The volume of posts says nothing more than me being an easily distracted know-it-all who can't resist giving his option on just about everything. :roll:
ShaunWhite

TheRiddler wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:05 pm
I'd say at the end you'd be shorter than a 20/1 shot to be successful.
+1
20/1 is the large sample number. Individuals start at anything between odds on and just give up now. The beauty of trading that you set your own odds of success.
Kai

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:41 pm
The beauty of trading that you set your own odds of success.
Very true, but there is method to this madness. Can't imagine a harder profession than trading, I think people often get it wrong because they in general follow public opinion. They are afraid to stand alone because they want to be safely included within the herd, not to be the lone calf standing on the desolate, dangerous, wolf-patrolled prairie of contrary opinion.
SweetLyrics

Try working for just over the minimum wage in a call centre! :lol:
Kai wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:07 pm
Can't imagine a harder profession than trading,
ShaunWhite

Kai wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:07 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:41 pm
The beauty of trading that you set your own odds of success.
Can't imagine a harder profession than trading.
What makes you say that kai? For a job so well paid it's not physically hard and doesn't carry any physical risk, intellectually it's not as hard as neuroscience or law or physics etc, you don't even have any responsibility for other people's work, wellbeing or money and results are easily quantifiable unlike the arts. Personally I find trading to be a pleasant relaxing job compared to my previous work life. I'm not saying it's easy, far from it, but give me trading over being a surgeon in Syria any day. (not that that's what I was)
Kai

Probably poor choice of words on my part, didn't mean to trigger anyone :) I meant because only a small % actually get paid doing it. Sometimes it seems like it must be easier to become an astronaut than a trader, when I look around and see how many people actually make it.
SweetLyrics

Ah, I see what you mean.

Yes, becoming a pro trader is like getting into the SAS - many are called, few are chosen. And as with getting into special forces, success generally requires extraordinary effort and isn't guaranteed. People might look at the success of the top traders, and think 'This sounds like money for old rope. It could be me'. However, the harsh reality is 'It probably won't be. As in, there is a 99% chance that what looks so easy in a video will forever elude you'.

BTW, I'm sure that being a pro trader can be psychologically challenging (and I wasn't triggered). :) However, I was just making the point that so can many other jobs.
Kai wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:18 pm
Probably poor choice of words on my part, didn't mean to trigger anyone :) I meant because only a small % actually get paid doing it. Sometimes it seems like it must be easier to become an astronaut than a trader, when I look around and see how many people actually make it.
stueytrader

It's a bit like the point made by Mark Douglas in Trading in the Zone - anyone (almost literally anyone) can put on a trade, and even make a profit on that trade.

It takes 0 intelligence or ability (other than opening a computer etc).

The tricky part is moving away from that area of 'ease' into the far more challenging area of being a successful trader, longer term.

In terms of work/profession however, I agree with Shaun's point that there are many much worse ways to spend our days and time for certain. I've done several, and still do in part (I'm part time employed still).
ShaunWhite

GodInyou wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:50 pm
have you ever tried CFD trading?
Biggest issue with financials is the size of the bank you need, and getting used to factoring in transaction fees. And just like sports markets the combat is mano-a-mano and you're in the ring with the big boys, there's easier pickings elsewhere imo unless you want to be doing 6 & 7 figure trades.
Archery1969

GodInyou wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:50 pm
have you ever tried CFD trading?
As Shaun said be careful with financial trading. Some years back I lost a 4 figure some in the blink of an eye while trading forex. There was unannounced Swiss bank intervention which blew through my stop loss and I also ended up owing the broker money.
Kai

It's weird, I've talked to a couple people that just couldn't crack sports trading no matter how hard they tried, but when they tried Forex they found it relatively "easy" to become profitable in comparison.

I personally always thought of sports trading as just a stepping stone towards financials, like a training ground or a playground to develop your skill set in order to use it elsewhere, but have since probably changed my mind and I'm realizing there's more to the endgame with sports trading than it maybe first appeared. Might be naive thinking but I think I'd rather have a massive edge on a small exchange than a small edge on a massive exchange.

If the only reason why sports traders are able to develop a big edge here is because this is a niche market, then I don't see why anyone would want to give that up.

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”