Betfair crash warnings?

Help improve Bet Angel.
spreadbetting

Kai wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:29 pm

rik wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:46 am
dont stake what you cant lose in the first place
I think that's exactly the core issue but easier said than done, because most people aren't prepared to lose their stakes, let alone their liabilities, which are two different things, so to fully cover it all I'd rather say "don't risk what you can't lose in the first place". Since "don't stake" can sound a bit misleading, a lay stake of 200 can have a 4 figure liability and a lot of people are NOT okay with risking that.
If people are too stupid to figure out what their potential losses are by confusing stakes and liabilities maybe they really shouldn't be trading and probably wouldn't understand any advice in the first place.
Kai

spreadbetting wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:58 pm
Kai wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:29 pm

rik wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:46 am
dont stake what you cant lose in the first place
I think that's exactly the core issue but easier said than done, because most people aren't prepared to lose their stakes, let alone their liabilities, which are two different things, so to fully cover it all I'd rather say "don't risk what you can't lose in the first place". Since "don't stake" can sound a bit misleading, a lay stake of 200 can have a 4 figure liability and a lot of people are NOT okay with risking that.
If people are too stupid to figure out what their potential losses are by confusing stakes and liabilities maybe they really shouldn't be trading and probably wouldn't understand any advice in the first place.
I didn't want to put it bluntly like you did since everyone is a bit oversensitive nowadays :D
rik

are you taking the piss? stake liability who cares dont place bets you cant afford to lose
there might be examples of extremely bad luck, generally in my long experience 99% of people bitching about extrenal factors the real problem is bad or average strategies
i had a 1.02 lay with relatively large amount win so you win lose win lose if your strategies are good you will win more
ShaunWhite

spreadbetting wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:58 pm
The 'chlorine in the pool' attitude is all well and good but punters aren't alerted to the risk of using exchanges vs the cosy consumer protections offered at the bookies. And judging by how many basic questions there are on here that are addressed in the Ts&Cs then people generally don't inform themselves of the difference.

That said, assuming that the internet will never go down or that a site will never be temporarily unavailable is kind of neive and the more you trade the more that becomes an inevitability. When you place a bet and your balance reduces that's the position you're in, end of, and your always at the mercy of the tech and the race result as to whether you'll ever see your money again.
Kai

Case in point :)

I might as well be, but anyone notice that it's mostly preoff traders that complain about outages? Coincidence? I think not, some preoff trading approaches offer zero value if they end up inplay despite offering loads of value preoff, so yeah, you can neither expect to win long term like that nor can you really brandish it a terrible strategy just because it's not immune to random outages. From an inplay perspective I fully agree, for my inplay approaches I don't care about outages, if anything I may even win more longer term if I regularly get caught out, like with your extreme example of laying 1.02.

But whatever, it's a pointless discussion going nowhere and offtopic too since OP asked a specific automation related question.
ShaunWhite

rik wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:18 pm
are you taking the piss? stake liability who cares dont place bets you cant afford to lose
The issue is that new traders only look at the liability across a pair of bets rather than the liability on the first part, not realising there's situations where you can't get the second part on.

Return to “Suggestions”