Alarms integrated with Telegram

Help improve Bet Angel.
ilovepizza82

You set up an alarm rule and then instead of showing it on the screen or making sound it would make your telegram app show the alarm.
It would be very convenient for the smartphone users, when you are in the kitchen, garden, your friend's house, you name it.
jamesg46

If you have a specific trigger for an alert, then that alert will provoke you to act in a consistent manner, after all, I'd assume 1 alert is 1 scenario, so is it not just better to automate the action based on the alert, that way you cut out a process.

If you want Telegeam alerts based on specific criteria then there is somebody in the Forum (Northbound) that may be able to help you.
ijcooper67

I would really like this as well. You can't necessarily just automate an entry as you might well want to check in-play stats before you enter the market.
Euler

Probably the main issue with this is that it would involve a new server most likely and some constraints around how it would be used. Telegram seems to be trying to encourage a fee-based model. So whichever way you look at it there would be an extra cost. Probably some other way of getting notifications I guess?
Jukebox

Your alarm can play any sound file you choose - so you could always ask Alexa to let you know.
ijcooper67

Jukebox wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:09 pm
Your alarm can play any sound file you choose - so you could always ask Alexa to let you know.
Well, this is a totally ludicrous solution, but I have actually got it working...

I'm using Cortana rather than Alexa, because it's built into Windows 10. I recorded .wav instructions for Cortana, and set Bet Angel Guardian to play them at appropriate moments.

Then I am using a thing called VB-Cable ( www.vb-audio.com/Cable ) to do an audio loopback, so that the Cortana software can listen directly to Guardian's audio output, internally to Windows.

Finally I am using IFTTT, which I've linked to Cortana, to interpret what my .wav said to Cortana, and send an appropriate alert to my phone.

It's a horrible, kludgy solution, but it does work. It's necessary to turn off all the other sounds in Bet Angel, and notification sounds in Windows, and other program sounds, so Cortana always gets a clear listen, without any other pings etc. going on. Especially as Guardian is putting up a pop-up alert at the same time. (This isn't actually so bad for me, as I'm using a VM on VirtualBox.)

I am limited to exactly what I've recorded, so this scheme can tell me what sort of alert it's sending me (I've set up a few), but it can't of course tell me which event or market it's on. That's why I needed the pop-up alert for when I get back to my PC.

Obviously this Heath Robinson solution is a right palaver. It would have been so much nicer to have had a proper option in Guardian to do it directly!
Jukebox

In the meantime it might be best to keep the canary in another room.
spreadbetting

I have some of my excel bots email me at set times with a summary or if things are going tits up. What sort of files can Guardian fire off? If it can kick off BAT files it should be simple enough to send emails or link to other progs to send texts
ijcooper67

Jukebox wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:05 pm
In the meantime it might be best to keep the canary in another room.
There's no actual sound involved, only .wav files that the computer plays to itself and listens internally on the loopback. Nothing to hear; no speaker output, and no microphone input either.

Another couple of possible drawbacks, BTW: If you happen to get more than one go off at the same time, that'll probably muck the sound up and not trigger Cortana properly. Also, IFTTT can be a bit slow sometimes, but for me, it's usually only a few seconds.
ijcooper67

spreadbetting wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:09 pm
I have some of my excel bots email me at set times with a summary or if things are going tits up. What sort of files can Guardian fire off? If it can kick off BAT files it should be simple enough to send emails or link to other progs to send texts
All it can do is put up a pop-up alert box, and/or play a .wav file. I'm running with the latter, obviously.
spreadbetting

You might be able to do something wth task scheduler as that can send alerts (emails) when specific events occur, you'd just have to look up the event for when specific wav files are accessed, beyond my pay grade but plenty of tech heads on the forum. Failing that they'll be loads of free auditing software out that probably fire off alerts when files are accessed, amended etc
northbound

Here's a suggestion on how the Bet Angel team could implement Telegram alerts.

- Create a Telegram bot for free, e.g. @BetangelBot

- Have a dedicated Debian server, a $5/month Digitalocean droplet would do.

- On the server above, run my free Telegrammo API software (Nodejs) which would allow you to define unlimited sub-bots for @BetangelBot:
https://github.com/trigvi/telegrammo

- The first time a user logs into Bet Angel, the software needs to hit Telegrammo API in background to create a new sub-bot for him.

- On Bet Angel, give instructions to the user on how to subscribe to his sub-bot. It simply involves him starting a Telegram conversation with @BetangelBot and sending a unique subscribe message.

- Create a new Bet Angel automation type called Telegram Alert.

- When automation triggers, Bet Angel simply needs to hit Telegrammo API to send an alert to the user's unique sub-bot.
spreadbetting

Sounds very complicated, surely it'd be easier just to allow alerts to open BAT files rather than just WAV files then no servers woud be needed and batch files aren't too hard to create to send emails. Wouldn't be hard for the BA staff to create a simple BAT one. Most people's phone can retreive emails or even email to sms

Return to “Suggestions”