Grouping rules

Help improve Bet Angel.
Derek27

I've just modified a rules file and realised I'm getting on to 40 rules. I was wondering if anyone else would find it useful to have named groups of cascading rules for readability, if not functionality?
jamesedwards

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:22 am
I've just modified a rules file and realised I'm getting on to 40 rules. I was wondering if anyone else would find it useful to have named groups of cascading rules for readability, if not functionality?
93 here. Scared to delete any in case my one click screen is using it somehow. I use alphabetic and numeric rules to keep some sort of filing system, but it's a mess. Mainly due to not cleaning up after myself I admit. :lol:
Derek27

jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:44 am
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:22 am
93 here. Scared to delete any in case my one click screen is using it somehow. I use alphabetic and numeric rules to keep some sort of filing system, but it's a mess. Mainly due to not cleaning up after myself I admit. :lol:
Never thought of that. :)
Derek27

I've started prefixing my rules into catagories but I still think it would be handy to have a few expandable catagories of rules so you only need to expand the set you want to look at/modify and avoid scrolling up and down a long list. :)
Dallas

If I have a lot of rules in a file, or doing an example that requires a lot I break them up into sections/groups just by inserting a dud signal rule then using the rule name area to insert a text breaker
Rules.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sniffer66

Dallas wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:19 pm
If I have a lot of rules in a file, or doing an example that requires a lot I break them up into sections/groups just by inserting a dud signal rule then using the rule name area to insert a text breaker

Rules.JPG
I read this as a folder/file structure for list of named baf's Dallas, not within rules files themselves
Dallas

sniffer66 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:21 pm
Dallas wrote:

Rules.JPG
I read this as a folder/file structure for list of named baf's Dallas, not within rules files themselves
I was going off Derek's original post about having 40 rules in a file so may have miss understood?

But that's how I keep my rules organised anyway :D
jimibt

Dallas wrote:

Rules.JPG
yup -this is how i've always kept my functional rules grouped together also. been doing it this way for quite a few years. I guess the OP was thinking more of a structure being inserted to group the rules together (similar to the group used for conditions). such a start/end structure for holding related rule elements might be useful, especially when copy/pasting the entire group to another rule.
sniffer66

Dallas wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:27 pm
sniffer66 wrote:
Dallas wrote:

Rules.JPG
I was going off Derek's original post about having 40 rules in a file so may have miss understood?

I may well be wrong then :)

However, its not a bad idea for the Automation Rules drop down box i.e

Tennis
>>>>>>>
Baf 1
Baf2

Football
>>>>>>>
Baf 1
Baf2
Dallas

sniffer66 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:41 pm
Dallas wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:27 pm
sniffer66 wrote:

I may well be wrong then :)

However, its not a bad idea for the Automation Rules drop down box i.e

Tennis
>>>>>>>
Baf 1
Baf2

Football
>>>>>>>
Baf 1
Baf2
Reading further down the topic you might be right as he's gone from rules to files by then, If it can be confirmed by Derek which of the two i'll edit the title slightly so its clearer for people to add their +1s to

In the mean time for the actual file names (if it helps anyone) I do the same as Derek said above and prefix all mine (HR, TB, TN) etc
(Dall) if I'm editing/modifying one of mine on my test machine which I do the examples on so I don't post the wrong file :)
Derek27

Sorry, I was referring to rules rather than files. In the same way that your file system is organised into folders and files, it would be useful if rules could be structured into folders/catagories/headings, whatever you want to call them. It would make no difference to functionality but purely for organising and readability.

If you've got a programming background and used to having code neatly organised rules can be a bit of a handful. Having said that I'll probably be moving onto Excel for my next venture. :)
sniffer66

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:55 pm
Sorry, I was referring to rules rather than files. In the same way that your file system is organised into folders and files, it would be useful if rules could be structured into folders/catagories/headings, whatever you want to call them. It would make no difference to functionality but purely for organising and readability.

If you've got a programming background and used to having code neatly organised rules can be a bit of a handful. Having said that I'll probably be moving onto Excel for my next venture. :)
Cheers for clarifying. Given I have some baf's with 200 rules in that would help. However, I go the same way Jim and Dallas do in that I use dummy rule lines to separate stuff out into sections so I don't find it a huge issue

Return to “Suggestions”