A warning when Response times hit certain point

Help improve Bet Angel.
GPalmer

Just a thought, but after today when I nearly lost my bank, if there was a warning of some kind from Bet Angel that Response Times from Betfair had hit a user defineable number. Each user would know what response times they get on average and give themselves a safety margin that would be flagged when Betfair responsiveness is shite. Maybe that could flag to the user that problems were possibly imminent and to cease trading or close currently open trades.

Having said that, it could be a serious pain in the butt if your connection was a bit dodgy and you got a warning every 5 minutes.
TheTub

I seem to remember this was standard in earlier versions but as Betfair became more and more flaky it did indeed become a right pain to see the warnings cluttering up the log.

If I memory serves that's when the response figures came into being at the bottom instead.
GPalmer

Earlier today when I had problems, even after I shut down Bet Angel and restarted it, it still didn't say anything about being unable to contact Betfair, all I got were errors about indexing or something similar. I wasn't sure whether it was a bug in the new version or Betfair down. With hindsight it was probably down to the saved races in Guardian unable to update, but I was in massive panic mode probably clicking every button available with about 2 minutes to go and looking at a £200 loss.

Maybe a warning box prompting 'Unable to contact Betfair'.

With regards the response times boxes, I glanced at them a few times today, but its not something that I'd want to do prior to making every trade. For me, there's already enough to keep an eye on when trading. Maybe the programmers can think of something that doesn't pop up every 5 minutes every time there's the standard bit of lag. But maybe works on an average basis.

Its the first time this has happened to me today and was a sharp wakeup call on how easy it is to lose the entire bank.
andyfuller

I think this is a good idea.

I think something like the boxes flashing red when the responses are over you predifined time would be good.

It would catch you eye easily, similarly how the countdown clock works.

I keep a close eye on responses all the time but do think something like them flashing would be ideal, also if they hadn't refreshed for a set amount of time.

Today the odds were still refreshing fine so I didn't notice that the bets were not refreshing anymore. I stuck in an order and then found out to my cost that bet retrival had stopped.

I also got the error message when I logged in again today, I don't use guardian so I don't think it was linked to that. Can't say I had time to read what it said as I was busy trying to exit on the back up laptop.

A rival product has a graphing feature for response times. I would find this useful as I could have it running at the bootom of one of my screens.
GPalmer

Any way that Bet Angel can advise or warn the end user at the earliest opportunity that there may be a problem with Betfair would be a major bonus. After all, its Bet Angel that should be the first to know something could be wrong via its direct interaction with Betfair. Generally, the only time the end user would know of a problem is when interacting with Bet Angel often by placing a trade.
GPalmer

Maybe play a user defineable sound file when either retreiving odds or retreiving bets hits a user defineable number. So the end user has the choice whether to use it or not.

Both numbers for me are generally below 100, so to set it to 500 would be perfect.

It could be a tiny little millisecond beep or a bloody great air raid siren. Time to close down & hit the boozer :lol:
Nero Tulip

I like this idea.

Whats up with the data requests today too? Mine's wanging up and down faily violently. Though never over acceptable limits.

Return to “Suggestions”