Forum & Site outage

We will update this with things that we think you should know.
Euler

Hi All,

As regular users are aware we have had a few site issues since 6am yesterday.

The site saw a significant increase in traffic which took it offline. So we had to battle that yesterday to try and identify the source of the issue.

We had to take various parts of the site offline and bring them back piecemeal so we could asses the impact. We have just brought the forum back to stress test the server once more. But it's likely we may occasionally reboot the server as we continue to work on the site. So you may still get the odd outage, but we will attempt to carefully manage things in the interim.

We will probably take this opportunity to migrate the site to a brand new server at some point. So be aware its possible we may take the forum offline temporarily so we can back up the database and restore it to the new server. But we will attempt to minimise any inconvenience in the interim.

The software is not reliant on the web site in any way, so the software will run as expected during any issues like these.

We will be doing our best to keep things as they are, but please bear with us if we need to do any work on the site at this time.
jimibt

So Peter, you're basically saying that some part of the site was experiencing a DDoS attack??

Not an expert on this stuff but I'm sure your network guys will have the tools available to prevent (or mitigate) this happening again.

I know your guys will have explored stuff way and beyond this, but this link may be useful to other users out there that run websites and experience similar issues: https://www.esecurityplanet.com/network ... tacks.html
trad1ngbull

Welcome back. :)
Headless Chuck

With this coinciding with yesterday's racing wipeout, I just assumed that the World had ended and nobody had bothered to tell me.
Euler

Headless Chuck wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:52 pm
With this coinciding with yesterday's racing wipeout, I just assumed that the World had ended and nobody had bothered to tell me.
It has, this is the afterlife.
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:08 pm
Headless Chuck wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:52 pm
It has, this is the afterlife.
I knew it!! :P
Euler

We are planning some further work overnight. So you may experience some outages during this quiet period. But hopefully, they won't impact too many people.
Derek27

When a website's down it's a natural step to click on another bookmark to check your connection's not the problem, so it was quite ironic that my online banking site was also down. :)
Kai

Euler wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:47 pm
The site saw a significant increase in traffic which took it offline. So we had to battle that yesterday to try and identify the source of the issue.
So much for the forum dying.

If it was a malicious attack of sorts, it came right after The Scalper Boys got exposed.
Jukebox

Their 'forum' is behind a paywall
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

We'll be taking the forum offline from 7pm-11pm GMT tonight for further maintenance and testing.

Until then you may still experience occasional two minute outages, which are currently unavoidable.
Tobor

Curious times. The message before this one (I write at 12:35 pm), from BetAngel, was sent from the future, at 12:55 pm.
jimibt

Tobor wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:37 pm
Curious times. The message before this one (I write at 12:35 pm), from BetAngel, was sent from the future, at 12:55 pm.
i think that may be your forum preferences that need to be changed to display messages in your own local time (or UTC).

User Control Panel->Board Preferences->My Timezone
Jukebox

jimibt wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:49 pm
Tobor wrote:
i think that may be your forum preferences that need to be changed to display messages in your own local time (or UTC).

...either that or you've uncovered Euler's edge.
jimibt

Jukebox wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:10 pm
jimibt wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:49 pm
Tobor wrote:

...either that or you've uncovered Euler's edge.
... you KNOW that topic is never mentioned -shhhh ;)

Return to “Announcements”