VPS from Australia

sdistefano

Hi all,
those who are using BA's VPS service from Australia ;
would you mind sharing your latency (the amount of ms it takes to reach the server from your computer ; you can get this with ping <vps_ip> from the command line) and your ISP?
Or in general, do you find the speed tolerable?

Thanks
ThePom

Hi,

Am using VPS from Australia, and yes, speed is considerably better than without.

Cheers,
ThePom
andyfuller

Do you know of any VPS's that us guys in the UK could use to speed up our connection with the Oz servers?

At the moment I get about 400ms responses trading the Oz markets from the UK.

Cheers.
ThePom

Sorry, don't know of any VPS connections here as only moved from UK a month ago. How are you finding the volumeon the Oz markets? I've been concentrating on the UK meetings, but plays havoc with your sleep patterns!

Cheers, ThePom
switesh

Here's my experience with the VPS when trading the UK pre-off from Melbourne.

With BA desktop version my Responsive Counter is around 380 to 420 mark. It's appallingly terrible. I just can't scalp in fast moving markets nor exit position quickly.

Last week I tried BA VPS. The Responsive Counter was fantastic at around 50 to 70. BUT - there's a mouse delay. I don't know how many seconds exactly, but it was atleast over 1 sec. I traded with VPS for a week at optimized setting (i.e. using low color depth and bandwidth and single monitor).

But overall it wasn't a fluid trading experience with the mouse delay counteracting the good Responsive Counter. If the mouse delay could be reduced somehow then BA VPS would be THE BEST trading platform for traders outside UK.

If someone has a solution PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE share it with us. It's bad enough trying to trade the UK races without access to live pictures.
foxwood

Unfortunately, I think you are stuck with the laws of physics. The distance between Oz/UK, the speed of electrical pulses, and all the servers, routers and switches between each point all adds to the time taken.

Verizon is one of the big industry players. On this link http://www.verizonbusiness.com/terms/gl ... cy_sla.xml they quote their business service level agreement round-trip latency between Oz/UK as averaging 405ms.

Since they are probably covering themselves you can probably cut that down a fair bit. It does seem to fit fairly closely with your desktop experience however.

If your account is with BF International, there was a two year old thread I came across that explained there is a 120ms "penalty" due to additional UK/Malta/UK switching of all bets. BF published a note on it apparantly and I don't know if this still applies. It didn't apply if you were overseas but using a UK account.

A VPS may mean less data has to travel to you but even so you are going to have to add a large latency to the time the screen pics take to get to you and for your mouse click to travel back to the VPS.

It's the same situation as with the delay in voice calls - it just takes more time between the locations.

It might be worth installing BA on a rented Windows server located about 1/3 or 1/2 way between you and the UK and run it using RDP (maybe someone similar to 1&1 in the US if they not there). You will need some tech ability to set that up but it might give better latency for the screen/mouse interaction and the best of a bad job for the BF/BA data stream. Sadly, I think you will still be at least a 1/3 second, if not more, behind the markets compared to the UK :(

EDIT: Whoops. Of course, BA may offer VPS on managed servers physically located in the US or the Middle East / Asia maybe ?
Zenyatta

My solution was to move to Europe. Now I get super fast VPS and no more late nights :)
retika gore

With BA work area form my Responsive Counter is around 380 to 420 imprint. It's horrifyingly awful. I can't scalp in quick moving markets nor leave position rapidly.

A week ago I attempted BA VPS. The Responsive Counter was phenomenal at around 50 to 70. Be that as it may, - there's a mouse delay. I don't have the foggiest idea how long precisely, however it was atleast more than 1 sec. I exchanged with VPS for seven days at enhanced setting (for example utilizing low shading profundity and data transfer capacity and single screen).

Return to “Australian”