Can't Connect to VPS

User to User support only. For technical support visit www.betangel.com/support/
jamesedwards

Anbell wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:22 am

It's down again, and my others have had rolling outages over the past week.
I'm new to VPS. When it goes down like this, does is mean it just loses connection to me or does it lose connection completely and therefore will not be triggering? When it comes back will it all be running as before or will I need to log in and reset everything running as before?
Anbell

For some reason it appears that Comms to your machine is cut for a period. You want be able to reach it and it wont be placing bets.

When it comes back up you wont need to do anything. All the apps will continue as before.
Euler

Anbell wrote:
Microsoft have been forcing updates to Server OS's this past week

I force updates on the servers I use each Friday and I never seem to get an outage.

As I've said before, if people find they have problem we are happy to switch them to a different node.
Anbell

Euler wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:03 am
Anbell wrote:

I force updates on the servers I use each Friday and I never seem to get an outage.

As I've said before, if people find they have problem we are happy to switch them to a different node.
Thanks. As we've discussed before, I dont think it's the server, it's the comms to the provider. Here (https://status.simplyhosting.com) they are again saying that updates will be done May15 to 26 and "During the update, VMs will be put in a save state" ("This scheduled maintenance affects: SSD VPS.")

I moved to a different node about 6 weeks ago and still had the same problem last month. My last forced update was May 19.

Foxwood's comments seem to describe the situation accurately. I've had problems all week with my other machines with them, some in uinson. One went down for 6 hours on Saturday. The 99.99% uptime would be lovely!
jamesedwards

Anbell wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:32 am
For some reason it appears that Comms to your machine is cut for a period. You want be able to reach it and it wont be placing bets.

When it comes back up you wont need to do anything. All the apps will continue as before.
Thanks for the info.
foxwood

Anbell wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:48 am
Euler wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:03 am
Anbell wrote:

Thanks. As we've discussed before, I dont think it's the server, it's the comms to the provider. Here (https://status.simplyhosting.com) they are again saying that updates will be done May15 to 26 and "During the update, VMs will be put in a save state" ("This scheduled maintenance affects: SSD VPS.")

I moved to a different node about 6 weeks ago and still had the same problem last month. My last forced update was May 19.

Foxwood's comments seem to describe the situation accurately. I've had problems all week with my other machines with them, some in uinson. One went down for 6 hours on Saturday. The 99.99% uptime would be lovely!
Seems I'm on HyperV with Simply running server 2012 as main server. Been with them [Tagadab] for years without any problems that I'm aware of.

In addition to the standard event logs, I have logs from other software which show lost connections etc to BF and also automatic re-login and/or poor response times.

Have you got some specific down/up times when things broke ? If so, I'll have a look back through my logs and see if there was anything going on with my main server at those times - could provide useful info. PM me if you want rather than fill the thread.

An alternative might be to look at Amazon AWS - you can have a Windows server based in Ireland if you are after HFT. I found their pricing process far too complicated to work out for now so stayed with what I know. I did manage to set up a free test windows server in IE easily enough though so maybe worth a look if the outages are costing you money.
ShaunWhite

foxwood wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:51 pm
I found their pricing process far too complicated to work out
:lol: Ditto! That's why I use LightSail rather than EC2, I know it's going to be about 40quid rather than 0.003p per cpu per second per instance minus the first number you thought of. It's the same under the skin anyway, Lightsail is just a friendly wrapper minus some functionality I'd never need. It's placing a bet not running the starship Enterprise.
Euler

foxwood wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:51 pm
Seems I'm on HyperV with Simply running server 2012 as main server. Been with them [Tagadab] for years without any problems that I'm aware of.
Tagadab were bought out, left there old datacentre and are run in the same datacentre. So that sort of blows that apart. I was actually in the data centre when they were migrating.

The concept now at most data centres is they build the infrastructure and manage that, but rent space out to third parties.

If there is maintenance at the datacentre, or a problem, then it affects everybody hosting at the same DC.

I used to work for an ISP and started using servers very early on in my career. So it felt natural to offer them to customers as well. We now have equipment in the same DC as a few other providers, but configure them differently.

It just the product of years of tweaking them for running trading software, rather than running them for powering websites etc. We've swapped providers and DC's a few times over the years, but are settled where we are at the moment.
Anbell

Down again, at the same time as two others from SimplyHosting
down.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anbell

Anbell wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:41 am
Down again, at the same time as two others from SimplyHosting

down.jpg
Up now. 35 mins.
history.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anbell

Down atm

(ETA: As are others from same provider)
megarain

Mine all ok

Rebooted all this week, about 3 days ago.
Anbell

It is back up now

It wasnt rebooting though
update.jpg
megarain

2 servers went offline (3 am uk)

They both had updates yesterday, so it's a bit odd.

They have been gone about 30 mins - expect them back soon.
Last edited by megarain on Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
megarain

Both back - no bets placed from Bots during downtime but recovered to guardian etc, with all markets/rules in tact.

Return to “Support”