Can't Connect to VPS

User to User support only. For technical support visit www.betangel.com/support/
megarain

I almost never restart VPS. Maybe that’s it.

Will try updating / restarting every week.
Euler

That is almost certainly the cause. Microsoft rolled out March updates this week and forced an update this weekend.

I always force updates myself before critical days so the VPS doesn't reboot of it's own accord. Updates can take up to half an hour to install.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:48 pm
That is almost certainly the cause. Microsoft rolled out March updates this week and forced an update this weekend.
What OS do you run on your VPS? Windows Server never forces you to update, because it's business oriented and therefore doesn't dictate any operational changes. I'd find it difficult to find a reason to use anything else.
Euler

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:20 pm
What OS do you run on your VPS? Windows Server never forces you to update, because it's business oriented and therefore doesn't dictate any operational changes. I'd find it difficult to find a reason to use anything else.
It does force you to update unless you disable it. You can dictate updates, but they are mandatory unless disabled. Varies by version number.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:15 pm
but they are mandatory unless disabled.
Sorry I thought you meant that updates were forced on you.
Naffman

Euler wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:48 pm

I always force updates myself before critical days so the VPS doesn't reboot of it's own accord. Updates can take up to half an hour to install.
Is there anywhere we can find when these critical updates are happening?
ShaunWhite

Naffman wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:36 pm
If you disable auto updates then the Windows Update app should show you those which are pending. They'll usually categorise security updates as critical but if you're running your own antivirus and firewall then frankly you can take that with a pinch of salt. I don't remember any genuinely critical updates that were a show stopper. Btw Naffman what operating system are you running?
Naffman

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:54 pm
Naffman wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:36 pm
If you disable auto updates then the Windows Update app should show you those which are pending. They'll usually categorise security updates as critical but if you're running your own antivirus and firewall then frankly you can take that with a pinch of salt. I don't remember any genuinely critical updates that were a show stopper. Btw Naffman what operating system are you running?
I'm just on Windows. The weird thing is still says there are 4 updates still to install, and when it goes for half an hour it comes back completely normal (BA is still running) so not really a restart.
Anbell

Naffman wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:56 pm
I'm just on Windows. The weird thing is still says there are 4 updates still to install, and when it goes for half an hour it comes back completely normal (BA is still running) so not really a restart.
This is the same for me, with BA running and placing bets when it comes back (but not placing bets for the period when I can't access it)
lotora

Just back after 29 minutes, and as expected BA was not placing any bets during this period.
megarain

I wasn't trading during the time, so dunno if mine were affected
Euler

I've got about a dozen that run overnight and they all functioned perfectly.

It's really difficult to give any hints or solutions with so little information. It only seems to affect a tiny number of people as well. I checked with the datacentre and they said no reports of problems and no maintenance was scheduled. So it must be something else. Some sort of interconnect issue perhaps.
foxwood

If you can't connect and no bets are being placed as expected then I would assume the server has simply lost it's internet connection.

I'd do something like run some 10 second data logging of prices AND a preset stored value from BA or BA/excel.

If you lose the internet then only the preset stored value will appear in the log for the time the internet was down. Proves internet down and that server was actually functioning properly during that time ie not doing other silly things like updating windows.

Suggest you collaborate with each other so you each run the same tests - assuming you are all with the same hosting company.

Maybe the engineer always makes his tea around 2:30 and has to unplug a router to boil the kettle - stuff like that does actually happen :lol:
Anbell

image_2022-03-31_134825.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anbell

Anbell wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:48 am
image_2022-03-31_134825.png
I'm finally back up, about 6 hours later, with BA still up and running, but no bets placed in that period on 3 separate accounts. (one account normally bets on every race)

Return to “Support”