Tips for price/screen refresh

User to User support only. For technical support visit www.betangel.com/support/
madbill

Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips for providing the fastest screen refresh of prices for a single market. BA is great but one element of my trading I've not been able to move over to it is IR Horses. When I compare the current tool I use and BA, my sense is that the tempo of BA screen refresh is about x2 or x3 slowly - this is both based on "feel" but also comparing side to side high frequency video. I've experimented with the range of settings outline here: https://www.betangel.com/user-guide/com ... 3D&mw=MzIw but I can't say any of them make any tangible difference. I've also tried to reduce the amount of information on screen, and removed any background polling by GA - just a single market. I have the impression that this is not network/internet bound (given the other tool performs x2 or x3 faster - I think that is reasonable) , but simply the time BA takes to redraw the information that has changed. It would be great if anyone has anything I might have overlooked.

Ta
Dallas

Bet Angel can update markets as fast as every 20ms (50 times every seconds), which is way faster than any manual trader can benefit from but for automated traders it gives them the fastest access to the market Betfair allow.

For manual traders when you bear in mind the average reaction time it takes for someone concentrating intensity and waiting for something to happen on screen to react to is around 220ms - by which time Bet Angel has refreshed and updated everything another 11 times

You just need to ensure you have streaming enabled then your refresh rate set on your trading screen at the speed you want, as above for manual trading humans can react faster than 200ms and you might also find it disorientating using faster speeds than that
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13949
madbill

Hi Dallas,

Thanks - I know that BA can update the market data at 20ms - I'm talking about how fast it can update the display of the market you are watching. Also aware of the limit of the human reaction. Only reporting what I am seeing - on the other app, it appears to display more updates from the stream than BA - and comparing this to the raw stream I record would seem to back this up - BA is not displaying all the updates available in the stream - this makes the moves on the ladder "less smooth" and more juttery - I've not been able to mitigate this by using the connection tuning etc so was looking for anyone with advice on that.
Dallas

madbill wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:06 pm
Hi Dallas,

Thanks - I know that BA can update the market data at 20ms - I'm talking about how fast it can update the display of the market you are watching. Also aware of the limit of the human reaction. Only reporting what I am seeing - on the other app, it appears to display more updates from the stream than BA - and comparing this to the raw stream I record would seem to back this up - BA is not displaying all the updates available in the stream - this makes the moves on the ladder "less smooth" and more juttery - I've not been able to mitigate this by using the connection tuning etc so was looking for anyone with advice on that.
If you mean its only updating the best three prices there is an option on the display tab of your settings area which will allow you to see Betfair virtual cross matching prices - as these prices aren't real this think this option is turned off by default

But you can enable it and untick the limit to best three prices boxes below it
Then set the background market prices on the communications tab to the speed you want.

If that's not what you meant if you can attach a screenshot or short video showing what you mean I can take a look
madbill

Hi,

Thanks Dallas – here is an example – not fully forensic due to time but happy to delve deeper.

Both apps set to 20ms streaming. Recording at 60fps, so faster than the stream so no updates should be missed.

Focussed on the fav – ladder one on both apps, but same effect can be seen on the other visible ladders.

Timeline (frame count bottom left in blue)

Frame 52: (0ms) – L1 on both apps are in synch across the spread – [email protected] and [email protected] and same up and down.

Frame 53: (16ms) – L1 on app 1 shows some updates – [email protected] moves the price, no updates on BA (course, the streams could have synched with BF at slightly different times – perhaps several ms out, perhaps this is the issue but I would still expect to see the same data, just later)

Frame 67: (250ms) – L1 on app1 shows more price data changes, however, BA still does not display any price changes over the last 250ms, which is enough time for 12 updates if we are running at 20ms.

Frame 87: (583ms) – this is when BA first displays any changes – time for 29 updates delivered at 20ms apart. In this time there’s been two updates on the other app, but none on BA.

Note, I think BA is great – I’m just trying to understand the limitations or if I’ve misconfigured. I’ve removed the 3 best prices limit, so I am expecting BA “under the hood” to be including the entire price range in the stream and displaying accordingly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmznaa1roqw31 ... F.mp4?dl=0

Any thoughts?
neilb

Might be a daft question but have you changed the screen refresh rate on the ladder screen too?
madbill

When I'm on the ladder settings and click the settings icon and select communication, it is at 20ms
neilb

There is a screen refresh rate selector too actually on the ladder screen, towards the top left.
madbill

I think - BINGO - thanks Neil - what a muppet I am.
madbill

Although not on the ladder screen, as I have it undocked , so it is on the main BA screen. Can see the diff immediately.
neilb

I'm glad you got it sorted although I can't take full credit, Dallas did refer to it in his original reply but the two 'refresh rate selectors' got confused along the way.

Return to “Support”