Hi

User to User support only. For technical support visit www.betangel.com/support/
baobabul1

Hi.i would like to know some info on how different types of races behave pre off.i know it is not a rule that that will gappen in a given race but at least some data .thanks
ShaunWhite

That's a very wide ranging question, is there anything in particular that you're looking for? There must be a dozen factors from class of race, time of year, delays on earlier races and how competitive it is, and as many ways those affect the market. On the most basic level the less money there is in the market the more volatile it will be.

You've asked for data but you'll most likely be given anecdote at the exchange rate of 2.4 anecdotes = 1 fact. ;)
baobabul1

Hi Shaun. i understand it is a wide ranging question.i am watching,not trading at the moment pre off horses.but i am sure these spikes or trades also have something to do with the tyoe of race,prize etc. I don t have any reference for anything at the moment.i am rrying to learn the cery basic things about it. I would like to know what caracteristics short/ long traded range do(like is said, generally speaking). I would also want to know what type of horses,races have big moves but never reverse. I am aware that each question would have at least 5 different answers but just a pointer would help. At the moment i am recording my screen for about 5 6 races every day at random and then watch it back and see if any trend tends to form in my mind. Any help or answer would help.thabks for your reply
ShaunWhite

I think most people would say just get min stakes on the table and grind through a few thousand markets to build experience. The problem with recording a few races is recentism, if you see 5 races behave a particular way this week you'll forget that most did the opposite a month ago. Humans are pretty bad at looking back over several thousand events and working out what happened 55% of the time.
baobabul1

Thanks for the advice Shaun .i will keep this in mind
ShaunWhite

👍 It's a difficult task to learn with our primate brains. Usually we try, we fall, it hurts, and we don't do it again. Trading means learning that you fell 60% of the time in the last 1000 attempts. It's not a natural way to learn.

Trading is also something you can execute perfect all day and lose, or do it badly and win in the short term. It's only the long view that tells you if you're any good. So if someone new loses then what do they change, if anything? That 'feel' only starts to develop after being involved in thousands of races I'm afraid.
baobabul1

i have tried trading many many times and all the time failed because i gave up far too quick.i am now in a position where i can be at home in the afternoon and i want to at least not give up.for me this would be huge.I also understand your message and it is very simple and eficient so thanks for that !
ShaunWhite

Yep you only fail when you stop trying, just make sure you don't run out of money before you run out of lessons. Initially it's not even about making a profit, just gradually loosing slightly less. So maybe work out your pl/turnover each week and if it's heading in the right direction it'll eventually tip into positive. Otherwise its just a demoralising grind of losing day after day without knowing if you're getting any better.
Kai

Some excellent advice there, and effort too I have to say, very good to see.
baobabul1 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:54 pm
i have tried trading many many times and all the time failed because i gave up far too quick.i am now in a position where i can be at home in the afternoon and i want to at least not give up.
Can't ever give up, people never realize how close they get to a breakthrough when they feel most stumped!

Trading can be cruel like that, keep at it...
baobabul1

Kai wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:39 pm
baobabul1 wrote:
i have tried trading many many times and all the time failed because i gave up far too quick.i am now in a position where i can be at home in the afternoon and i want to at least not give up.
Can't ever give up, people never realize how close they get to a breakthrough when they feel most stumped!

I realize this now.,late in my 30 s that giving up is the biggest mistake,not only when learning to trade,but anything.thanks for your reply !
baobabul1

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:05 pm
Yep you only fail when you stop trying, just make sure you don't run out of money before you run out of lessons. Initially it's not even about making a profit, just gradually loosing slightly less. So maybe work out your pl/turnover each week and if it's heading in the right direction it'll eventually tip into positive. Otherwise its just a demoralising grind of losing day after day without knowing if you're getting any better.
Yes ,i understand your advice now i have also been reading some interesting books,some of them from Peter W s books library when he s done the video on them. Some books changed my perceptions about anything really.i will keep at it no matter what.thanks !
Kai

baobabul1 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:48 am
Kai wrote:
baobabul1 wrote:

I realize this now.,late in my 30 s that giving up is the biggest mistake,not only when learning to trade,but anything.thanks for your reply !
That's actually a good balanced age to learn, I'm in my 30s as well, but never too late really.

As you probably know, past the age of 25 the brain's plasticity solidifies and creating new neural pathways becomes very difficult, hence the need to rewire entire mindsets, something a very young mind can find almost instinctive a mature one can find near impossible, but the good news is that everything is very much possible with the right approach. Best of luck.
baobabul1

Kai wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:29 am
baobabul1 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:48 am
Kai wrote:

That's actually a good balanced age to learn, I'm in my 30s as well, but never too late really.

As you probably know, past the age of 25 the brain's plasticity solidifies and creating new neural pathways becomes very difficult, hence the need to rewire entire mindsets, something a very young mind can find almost instinctive a mature one can find near impossible, but the good news is that everything is very much possible with the right approach. Best of luck.
This sounds like Andrew Huberman talking on his podcast.i have watched all videos and made me realise that even when you are 90 is still not late to learn,although more time required. I was overweight and still am but lost 12 kg in the last 3 months thanks to watching all his videos and realising that i have to get past the frustration mode and then it is a lot easier. So i thought,if i lose weight with this aproach,then i can learn to trade too. Like Shaun said it earlier in his post,most people try , fall and then never try again which is the wrong way. The good news is that you can only realise this when you try it yourself. I ve noticed that no matter how many people tell you to not or do something,you still fo it your own way until you crash and then it is up to you to try again. In case you haven t watched Andrew Huberman s podcast,i recomend it to you.it is like music for the broken soul. I wish you good luck to you Kai !
Kai

Haha, I wish that name was mentioned more often. Yeah, I was absolutely influenced by Huberman recently, linked some of his work a few months back. There's a lot of really good stuff out there in general, one can really pick up a lot of things from different people in different fields, but it all connects eventually which is what's brilliant about it.

Yeah, like Shaun already said above somewhere, the harsh reality with trading is that you really are expected to fail miserably at first, and then it's vital how you react. But people can't take too much failure and disappointment or too many false dawns, it can be brutal for the mindset, most can only fail an X amount of times before it completely drains them of confidence to the point of giving up. Obviously, their perception of failure is often quite skewed there, but it sounds like you already know how to try and get around that.

Can always turn to the forum for a bit of advice or encouragement, like this poster here successfully did : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21616

And you'll never guess how many times he "failed", or gave up.

The collective knowledge and experience of the forum can be a good resource if you use it well.
ShaunWhite

Kai wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:29 am

:roll: You kids with your soft brains might learn faster, but you don't have the Honours Degree from the School of Hard Knocks that stops you being unrealistic daydreamers :)

When you reach a 'cetain' age its best to just count adult years imo, But now even that has got to 40 I'm looking for another benchmark. I can't argue that it gets harder though really, I used to be quite smart but now it just won't sink in, and then add on the fact there's always something more interesting to do than working. :).

Return to “Support”