Nassim Taleb’s ‘Black Swan’ Fund Made $1 Billion This Week

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
Euler

The recent market rout caught some star Wall Street traders by surprise. But not a hedge fund affiliated with “The Black Swan” author Nassim Nicholas Taleb that seeks to profit from extreme events in the financial markets.

Universa Investments LP gained roughly 20% on Monday, according to a person familiar with the matter, a day when the market collapsed more than 1,000 points in its largest ever intraday point decline. Universa’s profits—some realized and some on paper—amounted to more than $1 billion in the past week, largely on Monday, as its returns for the year climbed to roughly 20% through earlier this week.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nassim-tale ... 1440793953
marksmeets302

They did it again. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... 0-in-march

If you search a bit you'll find their letter to investors. It contained a powerful message: And, as I have said many times before, it has worked so well simply because of the mathematics of compounding: the big losses are essentially ALL that matter to your rate of compounding, not the small losses—and not even the big or small gains. The big losses literally destroy your geometric returns and, equivalently, your wealth, through what I have called the “volatility tax.”
PeterLe

marksmeets302 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:59 am

If you search a bit you'll find their letter to investors. It contained a powerful message: And, as I have said many times before, it has worked so well simply because of the mathematics of compounding: the big losses are essentially ALL that matter to your rate of compounding, not the small losses—and not even the big or small gains. The big losses literally destroy your geometric returns and, equivalently, your wealth, through what I have called the “volatility tax.”
Very interesting; thanks for sharing. Just emailed it to my Daughter who is an/my IFA - food for thought
(PS I tried reading Black Swan sometime ago, but found it very heavy going!, he's a very clever guy)
sa7med

PeterLe wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:11 pm
marksmeets302 wrote:

Very interesting; thanks for sharing. Just emailed it to my Daughter who is an/my IFA - food for thought
(PS I tried reading Black Swan sometime ago, but found it very heavy going!, he's a very clever guy)
What's good is he's very repetitive so you'll get it eventually!
CallumPerry

The film is better. Natalie Portman and Miya Kunis, fwahhhh.
ShaunWhite

And in the same week Jack Dorsey pledged $1bn of his own money for the Covid relief effort.

You could either think that's generous when the guy only has $2.9bn or think it's no big deal when he still has $1.9bn to try and struggle by on. It's a fair old wedge though so respect to him, and there'll be plenty of other problems right around the corner that'll need help.
Last edited by ShaunWhite on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archery1969

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:44 pm
And in the same week Jack Dorsey pledged $1bn of his own money for the Covid relief effort.

You could either think that's generous when the guy only has $2.9bn or think it's no big deal when he still has $1.9bn to try and struggle by on.
Is it tax deductable ? :lol:
Morbius

PeterLe wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:11 pm
marksmeets302 wrote:

Yes he is....very deep and smart thinker. I recommend his other work "Dynamic Hedging" which I think is a better book than Black Swan IMO

Return to “Trading Financial markets”