How many traders lose?

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
Morbius

Euler wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:09 am
I also agree. You end up in an arms race that you can't possibly win.

Somebody will always be slightly ahead of you.

For example, it's a rumoured that the first-ever Betfair millionaire was an actually an SIS engineer.

Some of the big syndicates are stuffed full of ex-Betfair guys, so you would think they know every trick in the book. That's possibly where they are making their money and possibly one of the reasons that the PC exists?

Skill is an underrated skill, people are always looking for a shortcut. As for timing in stock markets, your retail trader hasn't a chance.

I don't think there is any "possibly" about it Peter, I was one of the very first people to defend the PC when everyone was up in arms because what you can't have is large traders basically acting like huge black holes on an exchange eco-system given how illiquid it is compared to financial markets (the exchange is a financial market but you know what I mean). Have BF exploited that situation??? You will probably know that better than me.

If they hadn't brought it in, I think it could easily have died. Basically the evolution of Betfair has roughly mimicked the financial markets just further down the road. You are spot on with your "timing" comment...retail has to be non-directional to cope and trading further out than the spread given the co-location advantage they probably have and everything else.
smallplayer

indigokid wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:15 am
As the sports markets are down I'm starting to tinker with financial markets.

It's a bit of a jump. But very interesting none the less. As you've said above the CFDs seem to be the kiss of death. As an investment banker mate of mine says, "It's the brokers that make the money, no matter what".

So, with that in mind, and tapping into your experience as sports traders, are there any markets/platforms that lend themselves particularly well to our mindset/trading styles?

The ladder from Bet Angel would be nice too.

Cheers.

seen this..know nothing about it tbh..Adam Todd afaik
https://testnet.digitexfutures.com/futures/BTCUSD
eightbo

there's also various platforms providing 'DOM' ladders (Depth of Market) for markets
◘.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

There has been brief discussion on it before - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15674

I don't know enough about it to comment on it, but I've generally avoided all unregulated bitcoin or similar things.
firlandsfarm

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:26 pm
I'm sure that CFD's are to blame for a high % of those figures.
And spread-betting.
wearthefoxhat

firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:35 pm
wearthefoxhat wrote:
And spread-betting.
Ooh yes, that one too.
Kai

firlandsfarm wrote:
wearthefoxhat wrote:
And spread-betting.
These forum rivalries are starting to get out of hand.
Morbius

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:09 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
wearthefoxhat wrote:
And spread-betting.
Ooh yes, that one too.

and motor cars are also responsible for car accidents :D
firlandsfarm

Morbius wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:35 pm
wearthefoxhat wrote:
firlandsfarm wrote:

And spread-betting.
Ooh yes, that one too.

Don't overlook the drivers! :D
Morbius

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:12 am
Morbius wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:35 pm
wearthefoxhat wrote:

Ooh yes, that one too.

Don't overlook the drivers! :D

That's what I was getting at....sorry for the sarcasm. CFDs get a bad rap and are actually banned in some countries but the CFD isn't the reason people fail in Forex. Just like a credit card isn't the reason for people getting into debt and PC isn't the reason traders fail on BF.

That's the cart before the horse. Traders simply will not take the time to learn how to use leverage correctly. Leverage is crucial for small traders otherwise it's a waste of time as a career move. But it's a tiger by the tail but if you are going to grab something by the tail then best make sure what animal it is first....call it common sense or prudence.

Leverage is very tough to handle for a novice when it comes at them in that way but I am sorry....when a conflict of interest usually stemming from someone with an IB agreement meets greed and ignorance then the outcome is obvious.
firlandsfarm

I could never see the reason for CFD's for the general public ... there seems to be little difference compared to spread-betting and the returns on SB are tax free.

Return to “Trading Financial markets”