UK Economy

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
Archery1969

Was interesting listening to 6 economists on the radio who all agreed that if the UK went back to the old methods of calculating debt by GDP then there is no black hole but a £14 billion surplus. 😮
Archangel

Charming

Former Environment Secretary George Eustice has spoken about the post-Brexit UK/Australia trade deal in the Commons. He says this now he is no longer a minister:
"I no longer have to put such a positive gloss on what was agreed...the Australia deal is not actually a very good trade deal for the UK."
greenmark

Archangel wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:01 pm
Charming

Former Environment Secretary George Eustice has spoken about the post-Brexit UK/Australia trade deal in the Commons. He says this now he is no longer a minister:
"I no longer have to put such a positive gloss on what was agreed...the Australia deal is not actually a very good trade deal for the UK."
Seems to be he's disgruntled because he has a vested interest in UK farming so is less than chuffed about open access to the UK for Aus/NZ meat producers.
Well, if you're a cabinet minister and fail to impose your view then there is only one person to blame. Pointing the finger at a civil servant with antipodean connections is a bit naff.
Archangel

greenmark wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:02 pm
Archangel wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:01 pm
Charming

Seems to be he's disgruntled because he has a vested interest in UK farming so is less than chuffed about open access to the UK for Aus/NZ meat producers.
Well, if you're a cabinet minister and fail to impose your view then there is only one person to blame. Pointing the finger at a civil servant with antipodean connections is a bit naff.
I remember Liz Truss did a lap of honour after that trade deal was signed, as she was trade secretary at the time. One of the reasons she was seen as a potential future leader of the party actually.
Archery1969

Its very very rare that trade deals equally benefit both parties involved.

Most USA trade deals with other countries have a strong byass towards the USA. The bigger the player the more they take. The UK is no longer a big player, if it ever was to start with. Its not the 19th century anymore, we have very little to offer.

If the UK wants trade deals with other counties of importance then it will have to give up allot.
Archangel

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:18 pm
Its very very rare that trade deals equally benefit both parties involved.

Most USA trade deals with other countries have a strong byass towards the USA. The bigger the player the more they take. The UK is no longer a big player, if it ever was to start with. Its not the 19th century anymore, we have very little to offer.

If the UK wants trade deals with other counties of importance then it will have to give up allot.
For sure. The irony being that as part of the EU we were in the largest single market in the world and therefore could get very good trade terms in deals with third countries
Archangel

UK inflation hits 11.1%, a 41 year high
Derek27

Sky News interview a 20-stone woman who complains she has to skip lunch due to the cost of living crisis. How ironic. :lol:
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:09 pm
Sky News interview a 20-stone woman who complains she has to skip lunch due to the cost of living crisis. How ironic. :lol:
As clever as humans are, we can be really thick sometimes. I guess what's happening is human behaviour spreads out across any spectrum you can think of. There are people addicted to excercise, people addicted to an indulgent lifestyle. We all only have one go at life, let's hope she can dial down from 20 stone.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:28 pm
Derek27 wrote:
As clever as humans are, we can be really thick sometimes. I guess what's happening is human behaviour spreads out across any spectrum you can think of. There are people addicted to excercise, people addicted to an indulgent lifestyle. We all only have one go at life, let's hope she can dial down from 20 stone.
20 stone may have been an exaggeration but she certainly didn't look as though she wasn't eating enough. Then she said that she spends the price of a cheap lunch on a weekly lottery ticket! So it's okay to gamble when you haven't got enough money for food!
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:31 pm
greenmark wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
20 stone may have been an exaggeration but she certainly didn't look as though she wasn't eating enough. Then she said that she spends the price of a cheap lunch on a weekly lottery ticket! So it's okay to gamble when you haven't got enough money for food!
Which equates to desperation and the reasons for that would fill a thread on their own.
Some think people in dire straits are wasters and deserve to be there.
Some (like me) believe people in dire straits only need a bit of support from people who have done well in life to change their fortunes.
But I guess thats a bit too complex.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:41 pm
Derek27 wrote:
greenmark wrote:

Which equates to desperation and the reasons for that would fill a thread on their own.
Some (like me) believe people in dire straits only need a bit of support from people who have done well in life to change their fortunes.
I understand what you mean, when I was really hard up, alcohol was my top priority, but I never pretended I didn't have enough for food. I was well aware that I was spending it on alcohol. But it is an audacity to invite a Sky reporter into your home, light up a cigarette and say you haven't got enough money for food and gas. :)
Archangel

YouGov Poll

Q: "In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the European Union?"

Right to Leave: 32% (-3)
Wrong to Leave: 56% (+4)

Via @YouGov
9-10 Nov.
Changes w/ 1-2 Nov.
Derek27

Archangel wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:03 pm
YouGov Poll

Q: "In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the European Union?"

Right to Leave: 32% (-3)
Wrong to Leave: 56% (+4)

Via @YouGov
9-10 Nov.
Changes w/ 1-2 Nov.
80% of the 32% don't want to admit it. :D
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:00 pm
greenmark wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:41 pm
Derek27 wrote:

I understand what you mean, when I was really hard up, alcohol was my top priority, but I never pretended I didn't have enough for food. I was well aware that I was spending it on alcohol. But it is an audacity to invite a Sky reporter into your home, light up a cigarette and say you haven't got enough money for food and gas. :)
But everything you've posted suggests to me that you're smart and can navigate life quite well. There are people that are not capable of that without support. In the current world "support" means withdrawing benefits. I was involved as a client for 4 months and walked away because it was basically "sort yourself out or we will withdraw you benefits". I've only been on benefits for less than year over 42 years. The notion that our benefit system is an easy life is so staggeringly stupid. If anyone thinks it is easy, go try it for yourself.

Return to “Trading Financial markets”