UK Economy

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
Derek27

The way things are going, by the time the next election comes round people will have forgotten all the carnage Johnson caused. :lol:
Euler

Who's Johnson?
Euler

Regardless of your allegience, that mini budget does seem to have been politically naive.

Just fresh out of the pandemic and in the middle of a war in Europe it's a really hamfisted political move. Pretty sure most higher rate tax payers wouldn't have a problem paying more tax into the system after a brutal few years for the country. No need to fund tax cuts through borrowing, it just looks irresponsible. Which is how the markets have judged it.

Difficult to understand the thinking that went into this.
Naffman

Euler wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:18 am
Regardless of your allegience, that mini budget does seem to have been politically naive.

Just fresh out of the pandemic and in the middle of a war in Europe it's a really hamfisted political move. Pretty sure most higher rate tax payers wouldn't have a problem paying more tax into the system after a brutal few years for the country. No need to fund tax cuts through borrowing, it just looks irresponsible. Which is how the markets have judged it.

Difficult to understand the thinking that went into this.
When I was young I used to think politicians were the smartest of the lot, now I’ve realised they’re probably dumber than the average person.
Archangel

Maybe I am misremembering but politicians seemed to be smarter in the past, or at least competant. The likes of Johnson and Truss would have been laughed at even getting near a cabinet position, never mind being prime minister. I think a lot changed after 2016
jimibt

Archangel wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:54 am
Maybe I am misremembering but politicians seemed to be smarter in the past, or at least competant. The likes of Johnson and Truss would have been laughed at even getting near a cabinet position, never mind being prime minister. I think a lot changed after 2016
yup, welcome Kamakwasi :D
jimibt

oh forgot to ask... how's brexit doing?? :o :lol:
Derek27

Archangel wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:54 am
I'm beginning to wonder if cameras in the house of commons and the extra media coverage in modern day have attracted more showmen than smart brains.
Derek27

The chancellor says he's working closely with the governor of the BoE! Sounds more like they're having a full-scale fist fight. :lol:
Archery1969

BOE to buy all Government debt via bonds. 🤠
Derek27

Tory MPs calling for the PM and chancellor to go, before even Labour thought of it. :lol:
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:31 pm
This stuff baffles me. My understanding ( :lol: ) is BOE has over the last 13yrs bought over £890 billion of govt debt.
They were intending to start selling it off, but Liz/Kwarsi have soundly screwed that idea.
So (if I'm right) the BOE today have said they're going to buy as much govt bonds as it takes to calm the markets.

What really puzzles me is where does the BOE get the money to spend these vast sums?
jimibt

kami.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archangel

^
Lol
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:05 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:31 pm
This stuff baffles me. My understanding ( :lol: ) is BOE has over the last 13yrs bought over £890 billion of govt debt.
They were intending to start selling it off, but Liz/Kwarsi have soundly screwed that idea.
So (if I'm right) the BOE today have said they're going to buy as much govt bonds as it takes to calm the markets.

What really puzzles me is where does the BOE get the money to spend these vast sums?
I always thought we lend money to banks who lend it to the BoE who lends it to the government, in which case, they would by buying debt that they already own. Obviously I'm missing something. The only thing I'm sure of - we're in a right flipping mess!!

Return to “Trading Financial markets”