Apple Inc : APPL

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
Euler

I prefer spotify
andyfuller

Likewise - now that the Spotify price has come down to just £14.99 which allows 6 memberships on the family plan it is great value, only £2.50 each.

I don't see Apple making it in the streaming market - they had it in the era of iTunes and downloading music but they have been left behind as consumer habits have changed to streaming.
Euler

It's a classic corporate cock up. You see a threat and worry about cannibalising your business so you don't respond. By the time you do it's too late.
Euler

Warren has been busy. My reading of this is that he likes Apple as a brand rather than the technology.

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2016/08/ ... shire0815/
andyfuller

Euler wrote:Warren has been busy. My reading of this is that he likes Apple as a brand rather than the technology.

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2016/08/ ... shire0815/
My reading of it is different - I agree it is still that he doesn't have a liking for tech but rather than Warren being involved it was one of his succession team that took the position, a relatively small position by Berkshire standards.

I think if I was building a position in one of the major tech firms with a view to future growth it would have to be Amazon over Apple every time.
Euler

That's not going to help Ireland one bit!

Apple should repay Ireland €13bn, European Commission rules

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37220799
Dublin_Flyer

I think it'll drag on for years through the European courts.

The irony of the situation is the government brought in an extra tax during the recession called the Universal Social Charge which now makes up something like 4 billion (20% of the tax intake.) During the last election, many candidates got in on the basis of reducing or eliminating this tax and now they say it's too much cash to eliminate, the tax would have to be found somewhere else like 20c extra on petrol/diesel, or €1.50 on a pint, or 5% extra income tax, or 600% increase in property tax. Well there's 13 billion which would cover over 4 years of that tax, but the government don't want it!

From what I make of it, the EU is saying Ireland can hold onto the 12.5% corporate tax, but at least get companies to pay the full 12.5%, not 0.005% like Apple in 2014!

It could also be a big can of worms opened for the dept of finance/revenue here regarding other big companies. Intel, Pfizer, Google, Paypal, IBM being 5 that come to mind that have high employment here and massive turnover, I wonder will it lead to their tax records being looked into as well.
Euler

When I worked for a large corporation, they had an item on the P&L called "burden". When I asked what that was I was told it was better if I didn't ask. That's the first time I came across profit shifting.

The trouble we have in this day and age is how do you levy an efficient taxation system on a global corporation. Other than unifying taxation and therefore unification of all other things, which the populace most clearly does not want. I have no idea how you can achieve that!
LeTiss

Euler wrote:When I worked for a large corporation, they had an item on the P&L called "burden". When I asked what that was I was told it was better if I didn't ask. That's the first time I came across profit shifting.

The trouble we have in this day and age is how do you levy an efficient taxation system on a global corporation. Other than unifying taxation and therefore unification of all other things, which the populace most clearly does not want. I have no idea how you can achieve that!
That's the realms of fantasy Peter

Companies invest into locations where it's beneficial for their business. This obviously includes analysing the costs, ranging from commercial land and outlets to wages, transportation, and taxation!

Unfortunately, many western governments have prostituted themselves. They seem to turn a blind eye to the taxation of major corporations, by simply weighing the benefits their business brings to the economy vs the damage it would cause if they packed up & went somewhere else
andyfuller

This video is well worth a watch just for the quality of production and editing:

First look: Apple 2016 Launch in San Francisco - in 107 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp0jO3H0MZ8
gutuami

Nation state over Corpotocracy market abusers- Apple vs EU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp4aX1UhQHI
Euler

I noticed brexit has bumped up the cost of an iPhone quite a bit.
LeTiss

Euler wrote:I noticed brexit has bumped up the cost of an iPhone quite a bit.
Or the European Commission ruling on their tax arrangements
charcoline

I think Tim Cook is ruining Apple. i'm a little worry abt Apple's future. I really admire Steve Jobs for what he did, Apple's products is not really diverse but very unique and high quality (iMess, VSCO,...i couldn't see any similar and great things from Android)
andyfuller

charcoline wrote:I think Tim Cook is ruining Apple. i'm a little worry abt Apple's future. I really admire Steve Jobs for what he did, Apple's products is not really diverse but very unique and high quality (iMess, VSCO,...i couldn't see any similar and great things from Android)
This video seems somewhat relevant: https://twitter.com/ow/status/792284416 ... 92/video/1

Return to “Trading Financial markets”