Trader Personality Profiles

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:21 pm
You look very different from your profile picture.
:D

With age comes wisdom....
Kai

Surprisingly accurate, the detailed descriptions after the test feel pretty much spot on. But would have answered a lot of the questions very differently 15 years ago.

Trader Pat

My problem with these kind of tests is do people really answer them 100% honestly or do they answer them in a way they think will make them look better to the 'tester' (algorithm)?
johnsheppard

I am an INTJ. Have done similar tests 3 times over the last 20 years or so and have always come back as that..

I went to a shrink once a long time ago and they got me fill out a really long long one far longer than the questions on that website... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers–Bri ... _Indicator)....

What I have seen from people doing these tests is that almost universally people go...that's me...I am awesome...and you know what? it's true... INTJ's are the best :)

I would suspect INTJ's are more into automation than manual trading...
gazuty

johnsheppard wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:31 am
I am an INTJ. Have done similar tests 3 times over the last 20 years or so and have always come back as that..

Ditto. INTJ. Everytime over the last 20 years.

And I'm fitting the automation profile too. Yikes.
Lutruwita

Always come up as INTJ
ShaunWhite

johnsheppard wrote:
What I have seen from people doing these tests is that almost universally people go...that's me.
Most of these psych testing firms sell this sort of stuff to HR departments. The character type explainations are stuffed full of Barnum statements designed to have exactly the effect you're seeing, namely people going 'oooh that's me, init good, where do I sign up to test all our candidates'. I believe the traditional name for this type of test is, 'a load of old bollox'. :)

...Architect (INTJ, -A/-T)
johnsheppard wrote:
I think INTJ's just don't want a proper job. :)
Emmson

I expect most of the successful traders on here are left-side dominant, analytical, logical. I may be an oddity in that I'm right-side dominant and guided by intuition.
Kai

Wikipedia wrote:The Barnum effect, also called the Forer effect, is a common psychological phenomenon whereby individuals give high accuracy ratings to descriptions of their personality that supposedly are tailored specifically to them, yet which are in fact vague and general enough to apply to a wide range of people. This effect can provide a partial explanation for the widespread acceptance of some paranormal beliefs and practices, such as astrology, fortune telling, aura reading, and some types of personality tests.
My friend says this is apparently how Scientology sucks people in as well.
ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:33 am
Most of these psych testing firms sell this sort of stuff to HR departments. The character type explainations are stuffed full of Barnum statements designed to have exactly the effect you're seeing, namely people going 'oooh that's me, init good, where do I sign up to test all our candidates'.
You're right Shawn, learned something new today :) It's tempting to purchase their 262-page mega-profile of your personality after the test, although the few pages that come with the test haven't really provided me with any new insight about myself since I've learned this through the whole trading journey which is probably the ultimate "personality test".

But depending on how strong the Barnum effect here is I can imagine this being ridiculously good value for people out there that haven't had a good opportunity to learn more about themselves, probably younger people that feel a bit lost, or to better understand someone else etc.

Inb4 someone uses the effect itself to sell trading related stuff :twisted:
johnsheppard

ShaunWhite wrote:
Do you want to work with hopeless stupid people all day? ...Didn't think so :)
ShaunWhite

johnsheppard wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:11 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Working with hopeless stupid people is how I managed to look competent in the old 9-5. :D Unless it's your own company the ideal hire is someone nice who isn't a threat. It's the same logic wives use when they're choosing a nanny.
johnsheppard

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:33 pm
johnsheppard wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:11 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Working with hopeless stupid people is how I managed to look competent in the old 9-5. :D Unless it's your own company the ideal hire is someone nice who isn't a threat. It's the same logic wives use when they're choosing a nanny.
Well that explains the populace at my current workplace then....although some of them aren't nice either :).... It's a dead end job and looking competent is a good way to get more work and interruptions but not much else..... I don't mind the more work thing, I like to work, but its the interruption by hopeless that I find leads to stomach ulcers :)...

If it's your own company, i would think it's the other way round...best that you're the most incompetent guy there.
jamesg46

My result
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trader Pat

I wonder how Trump would do on this test

https://youtu.be/78-HLGB66zA
halem111

surprisingly a lot of INFP's on here. INFP's are beautiful people - at least the few I have met IRL.

Also I had a laugh out loud moment when I read this post from John Sheppard.
What I have seen from people doing these tests is that almost universally people go...that's me...I am awesome...and you know what? it's true... INTJ's are the best :)
Mind
65%
INTROVERTED

Energy
66%
INTUITIVE

Nature
53%
THINKING

Tactics
60%
PROSPECTING

Identity
51%
TURBULENT

INTP - which I have tested at since I was in my teenage years. But I think I have balanced out a little bit with my feeling and judging aspects. Also I have worked a great deal on my extraversion, but as much as I love good people I prefer just being in isolation from the world.

2 of the biggest weaknesses - understanding peoples emotional reasoning and making plans and getting sh!t done are still issues but less so nowdays, so it is nice to see this reflected in the results.

Return to “Trading Psychology”