Pressure getting to me

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Euler

This is something we are looking at on a longer-term basis. We are sort of hamstrung with an old architecture at the moment, so want to try and move forward without being too disruptive to existing content.
Kai

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:39 pm
The problem comes when people try to go full-time without being comfortably able to make well in excess of what they need.
Fully agree with Mr. White on the above.

The nature of this business can be unpredictable and seasonal and we as traders can't live from paycheck to paycheck like the rest of the world? That was clear from day one I think, we need everything in excess despite it being a luxury, excess of profits and savings and knowledge and live market experience etc to make each new step as comfortable as possible.

If your electric bill hinges on a single particular trade then yeah, pressure can do its thing, even if you're a world-class performer like John Terry and Steven Gerrard who both literally slipped at the crucial moment when they were chasing that forever elusive target trophy.

Nothing wrong with Stuey rising to the challenge out of necessity, it's a proper test and I don't see that as a failure at all, just one more step towards success that needs to be made.
stueytrader

Some very good points in this discussion area, pretty much agree with all.

I guess as Peter says it is right that we should not be, intentionally, aiming for specific targets - trading what appears before you is more optimal I agree. There is no forcing that way.

Thanks for commenting my attempt was not a failure Kai - though I'm not so sure I'd be as kind myself. I realise I was aiming without the comfort margin, as Shaun points out, although I was not aiming to make more than I am achieving right now really (when I trade as a sideline). I just thought differently about it, which always seems to knock on to trading performance.

I will keep all my trading as a side-business, at least for the foreseeable. I don't hate my job, and earning a little sideline is enough for my current lifestyle in terms of trading. I think you have to find your way, and I don't think I'd feel comfortable making it fulltime in any case (even with a margin for error).
Vaz0202

Overcame a hurdle today: reinvesting gains.

My fear when I started trading was that I didn’t think I would have been able to stop the above.
I trade inplay so my exposure is very volatile.

Managed 3 figures for 3 consecutive days so decided to withdraw instead of continually increasing my trading stakes.

The pressure was getting to me but I had an epiphany when watching ‘Minder’.

I started last Tuesday with £20 so if I think I have an edge I should be able to replicate that again.

Still on furlough so the cash is nice to have but it was very satisfying earning more over the past few days than I would have been working.
ShaunWhite

Vaz0202 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:06 pm
:) If you think you can just end that paragraph there you've got another thing coming. Vaz, Minder, was it something 'er indoors said or something you saw in the Winchester Club.? Not only is that mean cliffhanger I've got the bloody theme tune going round my head now.
Vaz0202

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:24 pm
Vaz0202 wrote:
:) If you think you can just end that paragraph there you've got another thing coming. Vaz, Minder, was it something 'er indoors said or something you saw in the Winchester Club.? Not only is that mean cliffhanger I've got the bloody theme tune going round my head now.

😂😂 Arthur was in Auz with Rey (inheritance didn’t come through) and he had nothing to his name but his ability to make a nice little earner.
If Daley (into Europe) can start over, so can I.

Poor Rey got saddled with two jobs - on wages though.

Not a patch on the Terry years
ShaunWhite

Vaz0202 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:20 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:24 pm
Vaz0202 wrote:

😂😂 Arthur was in Auz with Rey (inheritance didn’t come through) and he had nothing to his name but his ability to make a nice little earner.
If Daley (into Europe) can start over, so can I.

Poor Rey got saddled with two jobs - on wages though.

Not a patch on the Terry years
:) Thanks
jimibt

speaking of Terry & June!!

Return to “Trading Psychology”