Pressure getting to me

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Diacritical Quark

Leeds1919 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:23 pm

what edge do you mean is it just case of been able to get in and out of trades easier?
I'm no expert but have encountered a few issues like this along my journey. Yes using smaller stakes allows you to get in and out of the market quicker but there's a few other factors to consider too. Using say £2 stakes allows you to remain somewhat invisible to the market, no one is going to bat an eyelid if you stick down your £2 stakes on top of say £200 already sat at a price, if however you put down £200 on top of £200 all of a sudden people react to that, you get people then trying to jump in front, take the best price, essentially you have affected the market, if you had an edge with £2 stakes taking say crossover prices you may find that trying to scale that up doesn't work.

Back in my more naiive days I thought I was on to something with a progressive staking plan (yes I know, I learned the hard way) in running laying under 2.0, had a great strike rate all hunky dory. Progressive staking plan was running fine starting with £2 and trying to get say £50 matched later in the afternoon if shit went south. Not so easy when it's £500 you're trying to get matched in a 6f sprint.
eightbo

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:46 pm
eightbo wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:06 pm
What Shaun mentions refers to...
Sorry to have misjudged the situation 8. I'm glad I was wrong.
Np mate

Leeds1919 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:23 pm
eightbo wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:06 pm
This always allowed me to grow a new bank and the edge you have with tiny stakes is ridiculous so I'd scale up pretty quickly although the boat still had a hole in it so to speak meaning I'd eventually damage my account at some point and this continued for a while.
what edge do you mean is it just case of been able to get in and out of trades easier?
Exactly. Mostly I'm referring to thinner markets e.g. greyhounds or often US HR.
You can often rapidly recycle small amounts where people are just hitting the spreads on each side meaning 100% of your stake is getting matched but as you increase size you begin to get smaller % of your stake matched and thus lower % gains on your bank size for the same trade.

In "fuller" markets (p. tired, can't think of a better word) such as UK/IRE HR a small bank results in stake sizes which are small vs. the average bet size / matched vol. per second so you don't notice the degradation as you begin to scale up anyway near as fast as in the thinner mkts.

Plus [assuming you will hedge all of the trades you open], the more £ you need to get out the more slippage you get on exit.
Took me a few months of trading GH very aggressively to realise how dramatically my edge was being eroded when I'd be too big to exit at available liquidity, it often meant I was trapped and couldn't exit at the key levels/mkt structure when required and had to hold through and extended move against me and wait for a new range to form for me to begin dripping out. It was good experience/understanding of how strong of a contributor exit can be to the edge of your strategy and I recognised if this extreme (being too big) was eroding my edge then going the other way must only help matters.

I had just £2 in my bf acc. at one point last yr and managed to grind it up to £82 in a 24hr period through pre-race across aus gh, uk gh, aus hr, uk/ire hr, and us hr - pretty much just ended up going flat out to see what I could get by the 24hr deadline.
◘.png
IIRC I was risking the full stake on every trade which wasn't really sustainable and I wouldn't have been able to repeat it each day for example but +4000% in 24hrs is only possible because of the low starting bank and helps demonstrate the point ppl commonly mentioning of not needing much starting capital in sports trading because if you have a sound strategy and can execute it consistently it scales real fast
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leeds1919

Thats really interesting thanks for such a detailed answer
Kai

Refreshing to see the nitty-gritty of trading discussed in more detail.

Regarding your £2 experiment Eightbo, this is exactly what I would expect from someone of your background, it should definitely be part of your skill set and the ladder should be your playground, especially a thin half empty one.

I have found that the more you try to scale the harder it is to trade and get matched at good prices overall, like I'm sure everyone else has realized, sometimes if I get matched way too easily or too fast a silent alarm goes off in my head just to make sure I haven't overlooked anything.

But on the opposite side of the spectrum on markets with massive volume there's also an argument that it gets much easier to trade, you've already seen for example that Peter can't lose on Cheltenham for that reason, I've touched on this topic in my preoff essay the other day as well. If you work out why that is and where the edge is coming from that can unlock other markets for you as well.

One of the more subtle pitfalls is when you get into a grindy trading rhythm and you may not find real quality time to work on a more scalable approach, until the grindy approach starts weakening and you eventually drop it to finally free up time to pursue a better one. Not talking about you but about others in general, and partially about myself, since I've switched up my bread and butter markets/sports a few times already and plan on doing more of the same.

Regarding the IQ and EQ stuff that we talked about earlier, you really don't need me to tell you how bright you are, you can tell a lot about people from their posts alone but another potentially big pitfall here is when you overthink things and are too bright for your own good, I think many including Peter have said that some incredibly smart guys and academics just don't get the markets at all, so focusing too much on your own self and your EQ while the only thing for me that matters is the market and the edge itself, studying it to such extent until it's dead obvious how you should approach and trade it, and then it's just a thing of practice past that point.

You can only analyze your performance up to a certain point, before getting absolutely wrecked by diminishing returns, there's no chance you can maintain world-class peak performance because complacency will make sure of that, if you know your markets inside and out then trading them will get boring and you are almost guaranteed complacency. It's more than enough to operate on a reasonably higher level with a good enough edge, so if you ask me it's worth taking the time to develop one.
stueytrader

eightbo wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:09 am
Appreciate the posts and to hear some of your views. My train of thoughts went down a negative rabbit hole last night which is quite rare for me.
hat kind of drawdown as it's fully deserved and it beats the alternative (occasional gambling to chase a bad day) by a country mile.

In a similar theme to Kai's post, someone shared a proverb with me yesterday — "Necessity is a mother of all inventions". I already decided a long time ago that I was going to make it or 'break it'. I've found the mind tends to find a way when you give it no other option and similarly half-asses things when you know you've got a plan B to fall back on. I'm not completely insane, I know that if the time comes I'll rewrite plan A if I need to but fortunately no immediate danger just yet.
Hi eightbo,

I was going to start a thread of my own, but after reading some of the posts here I wanted to reply with my own.

While my trading has kept fairly stable and positive in recent times, my wider financial life has not. I have had several recent setbacks costing me a fair amount of my money and planning. I am pretty meticulous, have a spread sheet with all income/outgoings spreading well into a year ahead all times.

Without going into detail, the main point is that within the last few months something has changed in terms of my relation to my trading income. I'm currently looking to rely on it for around the next 4 months, as my main income.

This is a shift for me - I've only ever looked at trading as a side income previously. I will be gaining my other income back (in around 3 months time) but until them I've become reliant on what I make from trading. I am not one of those that chose to go 'full-time' or 'pro' as a trader. But my situation has landed me with that, outside of trading.

I do have possible 'Plan b or c' options on income/finance that are not to do with trading, though both are also uncertain right now for me. Like you said in your OP, bills are on my horizon, and this time will depend largely on my trading income alone.

I must admit to some current trepidation right at the moment, despite knowing I can look at my records for months in succession of earnings from my trading activity. That was done without pressure of 'having' to make those earnings. I'm in a somewhat different boat. I just hope I don't lose my paddle right now. :?

Hope this doesn't seem too much of a hijacking for your thread sorry, but I felt some issues here resonate a lot with me right now.
Kai

stueytrader wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:36 pm
I must admit to some current trepidation right at the moment, despite knowing I can look at my records for months in succession of earnings from my trading activity. That was done without pressure of 'having' to make those earnings. I'm in a somewhat different boat. I just hope I don't lose my paddle right now. :?

Hope this doesn't seem too much of a hijacking for your thread sorry, but I felt some issues here resonate a lot with me right now.
I'm sure he doesn't mind, that couldn't be more on topic. Best of luck though, sounds like a proper test of character and mentality, but not necessarily your trading ability! :) You can see it as a big opportunity too, like a little push to make the step that you maybe would not do on your own.
stueytrader

Kai wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:12 pm
stueytrader wrote:

I'm sure he doesn't mind, that couldn't be more on topic. Best of luck though, sounds like a proper test of character and mentality, but not necessarily your trading ability! :) You can see it as a big opportunity too, like a little push to make the step that you maybe would not do on your own.
Thanks Kai - yes, I'm currently alternating between thinking this is the best and worst situation I could have hoped for. I would not have chosen to be so reliant on my trading income, but it sure focuses the mind!
I am fairly confident in the general side of trading ability, because I can see my lengthy positive records. But, the nagging doubt is the thought that it would be the worst time to hit a downturn.
Not that I have an awful lot of choice currently. Necessity really is a crucial factor sometimes.

Funnily, just as a flipside, I did have a small upturn in my 'plan b' earnings since I actually posted earlier, but still not on the scale needed. I am maybe looking at some eventual compromise - some from trading, some from my other income. But the next 3 or 4 months will be interesting, for sure.

I traded well enough today, so I'm hopeful to just grind this period away, to be honest.
eightbo

Kai wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:16 pm
Regarding the IQ and EQ stuff that we talked about earlier, you really don't need me to tell you how bright you are, you can tell a lot about people from their posts alone but another potentially big pitfall here is when you overthink things and are too bright for your own good, I think many including Peter have said that some incredibly smart guys and academics just don't get the markets at all, so focusing too much on your own self and your EQ while the only thing for me that matters is the market and the edge itself, studying it to such extent until it's dead obvious how you should approach and trade it, and then it's just a thing of practice past that point.
Thanks bro. I think its important not to associate with being clever (or too much this/that of anything really). Lowers hunger for improvement. Think you're the dog's bollocks and you're probably not going to put in the work. Plus you'll probably feel like shit if your situation ever changes. Shoutouts to the Stoics.

I think IQ is not that important in trading honestly. Mostly IQ is just rationalising/justifying based on EQ.
And in terms of raw knowledge, we could probably teach a friend our strategies in a short amount of time but because the IQ gets filtered through the EQ first, they won't be able to execute it.

As you say people can get in their own way overthinking things so maybe a gift and a curse — people think it must be great to be Elon Musk but when asked on the subject he always says something like ~"it's not actually as great as you'd think" cus he's literally overwhelmed with "amazing" thoughts/ideas all the time and can't find the off switch.

For me personally, I know that by understanding something to a deep level, it unlocks a level of CONFIDENCE to actually act on that knowledge and without that confidence, I can be hesitant, fearful, whatever, and that brings about certain problems. Maybe others get that confidence from other means. That's life and trading.

I do think in theory that IQ could make your potential higher in trading though, at least marginally, maybe more. e.g. if you've made an effort to learn how to systematically improve things, problem solve, evaluate, optimise, whatever, then put that in a probabilistic context and apply it to your trading then I think you have higher potential than someone who has the same level of work ethic but spends their time in a less efficient way. If you have good habits in your daily life which keep expanding your knowledge-base and experiences, it should make you better equipped when you turn up to trade each day. That in turn should get you to the next level quicker and the whole thing should compound.

Kai wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:16 pm
You can only analyze your performance up to a certain point, before getting absolutely wrecked by diminishing returns, there's no chance you can maintain world-class peak performance because complacency will make sure of that, if you know your markets inside and out then trading them will get boring and you are almost guaranteed complacency. It's more than enough to operate on a reasonably higher level with a good enough edge, so if you ask me it's worth taking the time to develop one.
Agree complacency can be a big one. Think it's about being self-aware, habitually checking in, and regularly looking for ways to expand.
No point freestyling it from scratch specific to trading. Better to find a relevant real-world example and then come back to trading.
If we look at nature, stuff typically grows as optimally as it can by default thanks to previous evolution. And yet it still has to interact with an external environment and adjust accordingly. If you block the sunlight needed for growth of a plant or build a house next to somethings roots, it's going to adjust and in ridiculously efficient ways. But it's always based on information, some sort of self-check needs to be done and only then based on the available information can an adjustment be made. Sometimes the plant will even not have a solution because there isn't one and it'll just die. In such a case, a new seed should be planted.

For trading this is things like regular performance reviews, updating your stats to reflect recent markets, report cards, anything which provides useful feedback (information).

If you backtrack in one area without realising (internal mistake), or get knocked back by something externally e.g. mkt conditions changing, at least you've made some progress in another area. Many plants will spread out evenly then once they have figured out optimal growing conditions they'll continue with that until something changes. It's our job as traders to define what that is based on the available information. If we're ignorant to the information, then how are we going to adjust appropriately? If we don't know what's expected drawdown for our system, how are we going to know when we've past it?

Typically humans estimate their abilities based on KNOWN information, and the reality is their estimations are wildly inaccurate because the known information is usually a fraction of the pie; there's pieces of information they haven't come across, some contributing variable in play that they aren't aware of, whatever it is. Everyone will be different but most traders who think they're running at maximum efficiency probably aren't. That said it's completely unrealistic to think you'll reach maximum efficiency and you really don't need to, pretty efficient will do. As such I think it makes more sense to reach that level of decent efficiency with our strategy / market type / whatever and then "plant a new seed", do the same there, and repeat.

If you're already operating at maximum efficiency and making adjustments would be counterproductive (or you're happy with current results), you can still do things like assign time to exploring new opportunities. That's like planting a new seed — although admittedly they need nutrition to grow (resources/time/energy), but you can choose an appropriate plant family based on how much of those you're committed to investing. No point planting a redwood if you're not going to make arrangements to have it watered for the next few centuries.

Goes without saying that they're not all going to work out. Definitely a risk/reward at play. You might plant some in a shitty spot unknowingly or some contractor might come along and plant a complex over you rendering your new seeds useless. But that can happen to your existing plants, too. If you think about it, a plant is pre-empting potential problems from the get-go when growing in all directions. Be like the plant. Diversify in anticipation.

Example from my trading: When all the UK sporting events stopped from covid-19 my daily process was interrupted. As a result I stumbled upon Esports markets and noticed a game I have experience in had decent liquidity where in previous years it never has. I decided how much resources I'd commit to it (learned about API, reached out to other traders, experimented in mkts, etc.) ...quickly realised I had good edge there and eventually produced what is still my biggest individual market result so far this year. It shouldn't have taken a global outbreak for me to identify that those markets were at least an option but now I know there's value in spending time looking to diversify. It doesn't even necessarily even need to be in the trading realm, just commit a small portion of resources to exploring what else is out there and habitualise it and you should be statistically expected to hit something which yields a great amount for that small portion of resources eventually.

...The plant analogy is good for adjusting to changes in external environment but sometimes we make mistakes on our end too (loads if you're me). A good practice I started doing (it's helped me significantly on 2 occasions now) which could help some people out there, useful for when you find yourself having taken a step or two backwards, is creating "checkpoints" in your journal. Whenever I think I've made a good jump in progress I'll make sure to write down what I thought the key aspects of that were, emphasising on things that are in my control such as ways of thinking, daily habits/routines at that time, some mechanical stuff too such as trading plan rules at that time, strategies I was running etc. Stuey mentioned about wider financial position having an impact on his results and that was a big one for me too, this is all good stuff to include in your checkpoint.

Naturally it's no guarantee you'll be able to come back and recreate the earlier performance of a checkpoint but doing a now vs. then comparison gets you off to a good start with any troubleshooting. Should be ahead of the person who adjusts blindly and certainly the person who tells themselves "it's probably just seasonal" and wastes a few more weeks before they start trying to identify what's caused the change in results.
We need to first make sure any changes in our results aren't as a result of internal changes before we even consider the external. And I think the checkpoint helps you do that.
eightbo

stueytrader wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:26 am
Kai wrote:
stueytrader wrote:

Thanks Kai - yes, I'm currently alternating between thinking this is the best and worst situation I could have hoped for. I would not have chosen to be so reliant on my trading income, but it sure focuses the mind!
I am fairly confident in the general side of trading ability, because I can see my lengthy positive records. But, the nagging doubt is the thought that it would be the worst time to hit a downturn.
Not that I have an awful lot of choice currently. Necessity really is a crucial factor sometimes.

Funnily, just as a flipside, I did have a small upturn in my 'plan b' earnings since I actually posted earlier, but still not on the scale needed. I am maybe looking at some eventual compromise - some from trading, some from my other income. But the next 3 or 4 months will be interesting, for sure.

I traded well enough today, so I'm hopeful to just grind this period away, to be honest.
Interesting situation. I was going to say you sounded like you were concerned before you've seen any evidence that you're not producing the results you need to, but it sounds like that was the case and that you've now had a positive sign in the form of today's result.

For me it wasn't a black and white sort of situation — the degree to which you "need" to perform will probably translate into a certain amount of pressure that you feel. The Negativity Bias is always going to make it FEEL (and correlating thoughts which arise) worse than it is in reality, which may provide some comfort.
Your "compromise" with trading/plan b sounds like a good idea. Returns from plan b should alleviate a good chunk of any pressure off the bat, and any improvements you can make will help further.

Idk if it will help or not but here are some of my thoughts:
It's easy to just say keep doing what you're doing and follow the same process but underlying psychological forces are powerful forces and whilst they can definitely get in your way, you can also make them work for you. Frame the situation in a positive light, not a negative one. It's an opportunity, a chance to prove yourself. That unexpected moment which if you are successful, could change your life for the better. Whatever's going to work for you. Then stay in that mental lane as it were consistently through the 4 months.

I'd just say seek to keep it simple and maintain a balanced lifestyle, particularly exercise, rest, diet, but also activities, habits, social stuff.
Do the things you'd normally do outside of the markets and don't spend too high of a percentage of your focus on trading.
The objective should be to emotionally invest as little as possible into the idea of this next 4 months needing to work out.
Get an action plan together at the start then stop giving energy to it where possible. When you catch an unnecessary thought relating to the idea, just redirect it, framing it in a positive light, such as your proven track record, and remind yourself that by following your process day-to-day, you can achieve what you need to (or whatever self-talk you prefer). Act as if it's business as usual and it should turn out that way.
Make sure you're familiar with normal drawdowns for your strategy and even if things don't FEEL right, check back and make sure everything's within expected performance. Even if you do hit the rough patch, your best chance of recovery should be to continually execute your process as you have previously so nothing should be changing either way. Give your best performance and at the end of the day, that's all you can do.

A common mental trick used by ultra-marathon runners is to chunk up the seemingly insurmountable obstacle into small chunks so that they seem far more manageable. There are races which are legit 200miles long. Even though the runner has scaled up to the event and has the track record to say it's possible, when they start the race, and even at different times throughout the race, the mind

Pick a suitable timeframe and instead of performing for 4months, view it as only having to perform for X. After X, check it off and do another X, and another one. See if you can settle into a nice rhythm and before you know it that 4months will be up.
NickH

Thank you for your input eight, really insightful and relate able! Some big pointers for myself which I can definitely use to improve my own trading.
stueytrader

eightbo wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:06 am
stueytrader wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:26 am
Kai wrote:

Interesting situation. I was going to say you sounded like you were concerned before you've seen any evidence that you're not producing the results you need to, but it sounds like that was the case and that you've now had a positive sign in the form of today's result.

For me it wasn't a black and white sort of situation — the degree to which you "need" to perform will probably translate into a certain amount of pressure that you feel. The Negativity Bias is always going to make it FEEL (and correlating thoughts which arise) worse than it is in reality, which may provide some comfort.
Your "compromise" with trading/plan b sounds like a good idea. Returns from plan b should alleviate a good chunk of any pressure off the bat, and any improvements you can make will help further.

Idk if it will help or not but here are some of my thoughts:
It's easy to just say keep doing what you're doing and follow the same process but underlying psychological forces are powerful forces and whilst they can definitely get in your way, you can also make them work for you. Frame the situation in a positive light, not a negative one. It's an opportunity, a chance to prove yourself. That unexpected moment which if you are successful, could change your life for the better. Whatever's going to work for you. Then stay in that mental lane as it were consistently through the 4 months.

I'd just say seek to keep it simple and maintain a balanced lifestyle, particularly exercise, rest, diet, but also activities, habits, social stuff.
Do the things you'd normally do outside of the markets and don't spend too high of a percentage of your focus on trading.
The objective should be to emotionally invest as little as possible into the idea of this next 4 months needing to work out.
Get an action plan together at the start then stop giving energy to it where possible. When you catch an unnecessary thought relating to the idea, just redirect it, framing it in a positive light, such as your proven track record, and remind yourself that by following your process day-to-day, you can achieve what you need to (or whatever self-talk you prefer). Act as if it's business as usual and it should turn out that way.
Make sure you're familiar with normal drawdowns for your strategy and even if things don't FEEL right, check back and make sure everything's within expected performance. Even if you do hit the rough patch, your best chance of recovery should be to continually execute your process as you have previously so nothing should be changing either way. Give your best performance and at the end of the day, that's all you can do.

A common mental trick used by ultra-marathon runners is to chunk up the seemingly insurmountable obstacle into small chunks so that they seem far more manageable. There are races which are legit 200miles long. Even though the runner has scaled up to the event and has the track record to say it's possible, when they start the race, and even at different times throughout the race, the mind

Pick a suitable timeframe and instead of performing for 4months, view it as only having to perform for X. After X, check it off and do another X, and another one. See if you can settle into a nice rhythm and before you know it that 4months will be up.
Thanks eightbo - some really great (positive) thoughts and ideas there.

Luckily, I think, I am by nature something of an optimist. So, I tend to think positively about the possible time and outcomes in general. I think that can help with some of the suggestions you make too.

I agree about keeping balance, I don't want to obsess about my trading, for sure. I am aiming to balance wider, and you make some key points there about different factors in lifestyle.

I think I also agree about breaking up time - I will probably feel happier for example if the first month passes well at the end point. Then move steadily into the next one, after that.

So far, I don't think I'm altering anything in my trading approach - I think that is my main aim. If I can keep on plan at all times, I should be able to replicate. One good thing is that this is summer and markets are now at least supportive again for sport trading.

Hope things are going well for you too. Cheers, Stu.
eightbo

stueytrader wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:12 am
­
Yeah. All your habits and processes are in place, let the muscle memory work its magic for you.
Have a similar thing going on right now, have built up my best track record of following plan ever atm but I know historically good/rare conditions can entice me and flip my over-aggressive switch. So was coming into Ascot knowing I just need to continue doing what I've done recently with the anticipation of getting in my own way. Made sure to throw my tunes on like usual, go through the typical daily routine as it if was any other day.
Some urges to significantly overstake came today as expected, fended off first few then acted on one in R5. Hedged that position shortly after as per plan, stopped trading as per plan missing last 2 races, no justifications because it's a special circumstance or whatever.

Overall pleased with 1st day and already. Can feel that resistance/discomfort where old behaviours are conflicting with new ones. I can tell from how it feels in the moment that the older behaviours have much less pull over me now (neural structures pruning), whereas the newer ones continue to strengthen. Still takes cognitive effort to push through present resistance but getting easier all the time.

I feel that these rare conditions are simultaneously a challenge and opportunity for me because it's forcing a lot of these urges up in a short amount of time compared to a typical trading day for me. It's a challenge cus it takes a load more energy for me vs. a typical trading day, and an opportunity because if I can continue to overcome them consistently, I'm getting loads of pruning done (weakening) on the old thought patterns and behaviours that no longer serve me in such a short amount of time so it can get me to that next level quicker if I get it right.

My thing is not as big of a deal for me as your situation but perhaps the way to look at it is accepting that yes it's a big challenge, but the opportunity (and subsequent reward) that's on the table is a big one for you too.
In both our cases it seems to be just a case of focusing up, giving best performance each day, and getting it done.
Kai

eightbo wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:16 pm
All your habits and processes are in place, let the muscle memory work its magic for you.
+1

Muscle memory is such an underrated aspect of trading in my opinion.

I feel a lot of people probably have some market behavior patterns already stored in there that the head doesn't even realize.
stueytrader

Kai wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:10 pm
eightbo wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:16 pm
All your habits and processes are in place, let the muscle memory work its magic for you.
+1

Muscle memory is such an underrated aspect of trading in my opinion.

I feel a lot of people probably have some market behavior patterns already stored in there that the head doesn't even realize.
+1 back at you - the implicit aspect is so key for sure.

Unless you are an 'automated only' of course. :)
NickH

Interesting video regarding the goal vs. system. Although logical, it is very striking. Has me writing down my goal and underlying system on how to get there right now!

Return to “Trading Psychology”