Business names, Uniforms, or slogans?

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
johnsheppard

Hello there,

I was wondering if any of you guys setup business names, or incorporate or get uniforms, or anything of the like?

Obviously, it depends on where you are niching, but I don't much see the point for most people except in terms of achieving psychological aims. IMO There's a lot to be said for getting in a work uniform and going to work to help focus on that which produces an income...
..and having one's own slogan I would imagine would help one target a particular niche....

I would think that having a uniform and business name would correlate with focused work and less creativity while wearing only underpants would correlate with unfocused, creative work... I would suspect the former, is probably more important for this line of work?

Anyway, I'd be interesting to hear your opinions?
jimibt

johnsheppard wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:05 pm
Hello there,

I was wondering if any of you guys setup business names, or incorporate or get uniforms, or anything of the like?

Obviously, it depends on where you are niching, but I don't much see the point for most people except in terms of achieving psychological aims. IMO There's a lot to be said for getting in a work uniform and going to work to help focus on that which produces an income...
..and having one's own slogan I would imagine would help one target a particular niche....

I would think that having a uniform and business name would correlate with focused work and less creativity while wearing only underpants would correlate with unfocused, creative work... I would suspect the former, is probably more important for this line of work?

Anyway, I'd be interesting to hear your opinions?
john, tbh, it's the anithesis of what and where i want to be. that said, we all wear uniforms of a sort (tattoos, piercings, mullet even :D). IMHO, a uniform is only appropriate when you need to rally a band of individuals who you know may not share your common goals. so in effect, a uniform is an establishment mantra to purpose thought and focus. if that's your bag, then i say go for it. if you are a lone wolf operator, then more caution required as you may just look like a misfit (but not in a good way :oops: ).

Anyway, liking your new look (be that underpants or a full MacyD setup) -lol

[edit] as an aside, on the very few occassions where i've had to dress for the part, i've never been very comfortable in my own skin. not because of feeling i was above it, more because i just abhor the vanity of presenting a manufactured impression... oh well!!
Kai

Sweatpants and hoodies should be the official attire for sports traders :D

Sometimes even socks if you're feeling particularly fancy, provided you don't get winded putting them on. If it's good enough for Klopp, it's good enough for me. A tie around your neck just doesn't feel as comfortable for some reason.
Kai

Forgot the slogan, mine would definitely be "work hard, play harder", because it just works on so many levels.

Pretty self-explanatory, but for me it's like a very simple but a healthy and a fulfilling perpetual cycle, the fact that you work hard gives you the freedom to play even harder, and the fact that you play hard gives you the energy and motivation to keep working hard and so on. You can be insanely productive and dead serious one moment but then the biggest troll the next one, it's all about maintaining some balance imho, as neither extreme is good.
johnsheppard

jimibt wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:30 pm
IMHO, a uniform is only appropriate when you need to rally a band of individuals who you know may not share your common goals. so in effect, a uniform is an establishment mantra to purpose thought and focus.
That's a very good point! But...I sat here and think for a bit..., it just occurred to me, that what if I had multiple personalities? ... and the older I get...the more I starting to see the truth of that matter :) Perhaps a uniform could pull them into line?

jimibt wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:30 pm
Anyway, liking your new look (be that underpants or a full MacyD setup) -lol
heh thank you, well sometimes I have trouble taking things seriously. At the moment I am thinking a Mr Happy shirt with "SUPER FOCUSED TRADE MASTER PRO" plastered on it...because that'd be my business name...Mr Happy wouldn't mind the copyright infringement...so I could get 7 of those. One for every day of the week...

Edit: Would ya believe it? It's already taken...Guess I am gonna have to put the word obsessive in there too...
johnsheppard

Kai wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:08 am
Sweatpants and hoodies should be the official attire for sports traders :D
I'm in a Tropical climate. Hoodies are out for me. The bald look amongst successful horse traders would go well however. Nice and cool...the more successful, the shorter my hair will get...
Kai wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:08 am
"work hard, play harder"
...but I only work so I can sleep :) Isn't that the same for you guys?
Kai

johnsheppard wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:30 am
...but I only work so I can sleep :) Isn't that the same for you guys?
All work and no play makes John a dull boy :mrgreen:

johnsheppard

Kai wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:55 am
All work and no play makes John a dull boy :mrgreen:
hehe well, it's a fine line isn't it :) Between what is work and what is play.
ShaunWhite

johnsheppard wrote:
The bald look amongst successful horse traders would go well.
:D We're not all folically challenged.

If I wore a suit and tie it would just remind me of the halcyon days of doing as little as possible and still getting paid... And when I did that I always hated the idea that you basically had to wear fancydress like some sort of Mr Benn character.

If you're in a tropical location maybe you should try the jacket and shorts look that's popular in those parts. :?
ShaunWhite

johnsheppard wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:38 am
hehe well, it's a fine line isn't it :) Between what is work and what is play.
Nope, not if you're doing the play part properly.
spreadbetting

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:55 pm
johnsheppard wrote:

He did say successful , Shaun :shock:
johnsheppard

haha...well what's this then?
ShaunsHead.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnsheppard

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:57 pm
Nope, not if you're doing the play part properly.
Well I don't know, perhaps I am not doing the play part properly....or maybe I am not doing the work part properly...one or the other...

What is it you consider play?

There is a spectrum involved. One end is pure serious dedication to a goal (work), the other being abandonment from any goal. (play).

Both ends are useful in the context of 'work' if work is just another word for applied effort..

For mine, even thinking about these things I would consider play...its enjoyable to fulfil curiosity. You can only fulfil curiosity once before you have to move onto something new....whereas, if I was working, I'd be doing the same boring ass shit I did yesterday...and the day before...

Edit: ...hmmm and now I sort of see why 'work hard, play harder' is a good slogan in the context of sports trading. Not so sure it'd be good if you were an accountant tho.
ShaunWhite

spreadbetting wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:15 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:55 pm
johnsheppard wrote:
He did say successful , Shaun :shock:
:lol: I almost put that observation in the comment myself when I re-read it.

It's now a race against time to prove that statement wrong...or maybe it's inevitable and all that heat you generate in your head when you think hard melts your hair.
Kai

johnsheppard wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:32 am
Edit: ...hmmm and now I sort of see why 'work hard, play harder' is a good slogan in the context of sports trading. Not so sure it'd be good if you were an accountant tho.
I just randomly share my thoughts and philosophies, some of it can be a bit tongue-in-cheek so it's easy to misunderstand, I mostly just adapt on the fly whatever seems to work for me, some of it may be complete garbage too, idk, I guess time will tell :mrgreen:

The above is just my own version of the classic "work hard, play hard" mentality, the play harder part is because I usually play (much) harder than I work so it's a bit out of balance, maybe that changes in the future but that's why I said it like that. Trading can be great fun at times too but the important part for me is to have a job and lifestyle from which I don't really need a vacation from. So I try to keep the grind at a minimum or avoid it completely if I can, I rather take a day off and do something fun if it's looking too grindy, don't really see much point in being glued to the markets all day long, if you want to extract more money from the markets I think you should just scale up properly instead.

But there is some science behind the slogan, play means leisure, so it can be anything that you enjoy doing : https://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/ ... play-hard/

Return to “Trading Psychology”